Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
GaryM

Buy CCM Super Tacks or wait for AS1 Release?

I drove to my LHS today to check out a few new skates and hopefully buy a new pair. I’ve been skating in the Bauer Vapor X100 LEs the last couple years, just pick-up and beer leagues. Great skate but it has never felt quite right, a little too narrow and I was getting some good lace bite recently. So I thought the more medium profile Supreme 1S would be about perfect. It wasn’t. Just not deep enough for my foot shape, strangely enough. My Vapors actually felt the same or better. Both size 9D. Who would have thought?

So my next option was to try on a pair of Super Tacks. The LHS owner didn’t have my size but he had me try on a pair of Jetspeeds FT1s, just to see how the depth of boot fit and it was great! He said the Super Tacks should fit even better. He’s getting a pair of STs in my size delivered tomorrow and I’ll try them on.

My question is, (sorry for the long preamble) with it being towards the end of the skating season, and with the release of the new CCM AS1 due out in a few months, I’m wondering if there would be any benefit in waiting until the new version is released? I could get by with my Vapors until then. The LHS owner said, when he tried on a pair of the new AS1s, he thought they had a slightly narrower fit compared to the current version of Super Tacks, and perhaps they might not fit my foot. Can anyone here attest to that if you’ve seen the new AS1s?

If I were you and in a position to buy AS1s, I'd just shell out the extra hundred bucks or so and go with the CCM AS1 full-custom program that they'll be rolling out in stores once the skates release.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, GoalForFun said:

If I were you and in a position to buy AS1s, I'd just shell out the extra hundred bucks or so and go with the CCM AS1 full-custom program that they'll be rolling out in stores once the skates release.

I’m not familiar with the full custom program? Where can I get more info about that?

No, what I am saying is that it hasn't been fully rolled out/explained to stores - remember, the form that was posted was to equipment managers.  So they won't have any answers for him.

7 hours ago, GoalForFun said:

I heard the CDN price was upwards of 1200 for the new custom program for the new skate? Did hear some very good things about it. Should be interesting. 

8 hours ago, GoalForFun said:

Which means we can't talk about the specifics on here, either @GaryM. Sorry.

Thanks. When it becomes available, I’ll look into it.

I’ve decided to wait until the new AS1s are available before pulling the trigger. After talking to Chase from IW last night, he confirmed the new AS1s fit the same or maybe even a tad deeper than the current Super Tacks. He really likes the new AS1s!

I just bought a pair of supertacks like 3 weeks ago and really love them! Only thing I'd change is adding tuuks to them in time. If I were you, I'd wait for the AS1's to release and try both on in a store that sells both. If the AS1's feel better, buy them. If they feel the same, go supertacks because they'll be sold for way cheaper. 

Take that extra money for a new twig or gloves ;)

I just can't away from Bauer because I like Tuuk holders too much. I don't trust anybody to replace the holders. I've had it done a couple times and its just not the same as factory in my opinion. Interesting to see what the upgrades are on the AS1

1 hour ago, theinfamoust94 said:

I just bought a pair of supertacks like 3 weeks ago and really love them! Only thing I'd change is adding tuuks to them in time. If I were you, I'd wait for the AS1's to release and try both on in a store that sells both. If the AS1's feel better, buy them. If they feel the same, go supertacks because they'll be sold for way cheaper. 

Take that extra money for a new twig or gloves ;)

Yep, that’s the plan. I understand they made the boots so that Tuuks could go on without the need of drilling extra holes, or one hole. Heard most NHL equipment managers are switching to Tuuks to reduce the swapout time for damaged runners. Thanks for the inputs and congrats on your new skates. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bonez5 said:

I just can't away from Bauer because I like Tuuk holders too much. I don't trust anybody to replace the holders. I've had it done a couple times and its just not the same as factory in my opinion. Interesting to see what the upgrades are on the AS1

We now offer those exact types of services here on MSH.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bonez5 said:

I’ve always had Tuuks also, even back in the days when they were on my CCM Super Tacks. But I can’t imagine the holder making much of a difference in skating performance for most guys. The Tuuks are definitely easier to swapout runners and if I was playing competitively, that’s what I would want, but for us old, beer league players ... ? Guess I will find out soon enough.

But back to the original question - there isn't that big of a difference between the two skates, like how Jetspeed went to FT1.  There didn't seem to be issues with the ST that warranted fixes.

I'm still trying to understand how you're basing a purchase of a pair of AS1's on how a pair of FT1's fit your foot. Maybe I'm doing the math wrong but I wouldn't just ball park it especially with that kind of an investment.

28 minutes ago, JR Boucicaut said:

The way I read it was that he's getting a pair of Tacks brought in to compare.

That’s correct. The FT1s were tried on only to compare how the CCMs in general (compared to the Bauers, Supreme and Vapor) wrapped up the side of my foot. The Super Tacks should wrap even better. I plan on waiting until the AS1s are available and make the decision then. The LHS said it may be May or June.

17 hours ago, GaryM said:

That’s correct. The FT1s were tried on only to compare how the CCMs in general (compared to the Bauers, Supreme and Vapor) wrapped up the side of my foot. The Super Tacks should wrap even better. I plan on waiting until the AS1s are available and make the decision then. The LHS said it may be May or June.

One potential hang up. If you wait, you may not find the Super Tacks in your size. I don't know enough about the AS1 to say whether or not its a huge upgrade over the current version. 

2 hours ago, stick9 said:

One potential hang up. If you wait, you may not find the Super Tacks in your size. I don't know enough about the AS1 to say whether or not its a huge upgrade over the current version. 

Good point.  They cut back production on the 2nd year because of the AS1, so pretty much what's out there right now is what's there.

3 minutes ago, JR Boucicaut said:

Good point.  They cut back production on the 2nd year because of the AS1, so pretty much what's out there right now is what's there.

Hockey monkey currently has every size and I'm sure will drop prices when the AS1 releases.. Online buying is never preferred but still and option

Yeah for sure.. Thought you were saying they were running out of sizes..

OP not sure where you're from, but the Pure Hockey in Salt Lake City is selling them and taking 200$ off top of the line CCM's with a 30 day return policy. If you're interested and local to there thats an option. Might also be a promotion at other Pure Hockey's as well if you can find one nearby

On 2/22/2018 at 2:08 PM, bonez5 said:

JR can do that for you and they will be like new.  Use the MSH Pro Shop.  He does all my work!

50 minutes ago, theinfamoust94 said:

Yeah for sure.. Thought you were saying they were running out of sizes..

OP not sure where you're from, but the Pure Hockey in Salt Lake City is selling them and taking 200$ off top of the line CCM's with a 30 day return policy. If you're interested and local to there thats an option. Might also be a promotion at other Pure Hockey's as well if you can find one nearby

Thanks. I’m in Michigan and LHS can get the Super Tacks sent from another store. And I prefer to buy skates in person and to support the LHS. However, the issue I’m having, is for me to buy them now, I’d be paying full price at the LHS. Taking a chance the STs in my size not will not be available in a few months is something I’m aware of and will deal with it when the time comes. Until then, I can keep playing in my Vapors.