Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Leinbachjon

Slap shots

So i’m working on my slapshots without skates in a shooting room, and after awhile my lower back and hip starts to kill. Is this a form issue with my shot, or is it something else? I use the same stick as I do on the ice so it’s a bit long for dry land shooting and someone suggested that that could be the issue. Just curious on other people’s thoughts on this. 

Video would help to determine if form is an issue, but in general, think about what you're doing. You're basically pounding a stick against the ground to flex it over and over. Of course there's going to be a good chance you're going to get sore. Imagine swinging a sledge hammer over and over.  Unless you're super strong and have tremendous endurance, you're probably going to tax your muscles. 

Now, bad form can cause issues, but so can repetition of good form. 

On 2/24/2018 at 1:39 PM, Leinbachjon said:

So i’m working on my slapshots without skates in a shooting room, and after awhile my lower back and hip starts to kill. Is this a form issue with my shot, or is it something else? I use the same stick as I do on the ice so it’s a bit long for dry land shooting and someone suggested that that could be the issue. Just curious on other people’s thoughts on this. 

I'll take a stab at this until you can post a video. If it's your lower back and (especially) the front of your non-shooting-side hip, you might be shifting your weight below the hips first and then torquing your upper body instead of simultaneously in one smooth motion. That puts a lot more strain on your back and front hip. On some guys it's very obvious because they look like flamingos already standing fully on their front skate with their back leg bent and skate in the air before their sticks even start coming down; but if it's more subtle, you might not really notice it and still get off decent shots by muscling through it to compensate for the energy you're losing from the mistimed weight transfer. I'm thinking if it were just overuse and perfect form, it wouldn't be those large muscles and joints where you felt it first; it would more likely be in your hands, wrists, and shooting-side shoulder.

When you take a slapshot on ice the front foot can slide a little on the ice. Doing it on dry land you don't get the same slide out and your front leg is stuck resisting the follow thru. That could be part of the issue.

On 2/26/2018 at 9:41 AM, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

@Leinbachjon I'd make a video. No way we can help you out without seeing what you're doing.

What I would say . I'm not sure is all will  agree.  Imo so much is going to change to the transition to ice , I'm not sure if you are doing your self good by doing this off ice  .     Is the stick you are using cut to account for being in shoes ?  What kind of shape are you in ? The slapp shot uses alot of the oblique and the lower back muscles.            For all shooting you can set up a stick with springs or surgical tubing  that gives you resistance in pull and push upper and lower hand and and the toe of tbe stick  ; slow down the movements of shooting it will give you a good work out for shooting 

On 3/1/2018 at 11:02 AM, chippa13 said:

Nothing wrong with doing dry land shooting. The majority of the motion is the same.

Yes  I agree with that in regards to the arms  and puck contact  .  Yet for  the compliated elements:  foot positioning ,weight transfer being in motion. Transitioning into making the shot.  I think for those  factors alot dry land can form some issues for  a learning shooter.  That front foot  needs to be pointing correctly.  

On 3/3/2018 at 6:14 AM, Playmakersedge said:

Yes  I agree with that in regards to the arms  and puck contact  .  Yet for  the compliated elements:  foot positioning ,weight transfer being in motion. Transitioning into making the shot.  I think for those  factors alot dry land can form some issues for  a learning shooter.  That front foot  needs to be pointing correctly.  

The tendency of dry-land shooting is to stand with the line between your feet somewhere between 45 and 90 degrees to the target, which doesn't correspond to shooting while skating at all. Someone trying to learn to shoot on land should just keep both feet pointed toward the target with more weight on the inside foot throughout the entire back-swing and then transfer weight to the outside foot on the down-swing. That way, at least the body orientation, weighting, and weight transfer correspond to ice shooting even if it can't account for the other aspects shooting while skating.