Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

19 minutes ago, Superjet said:

I won’t disagree that most people only bother to review things when they’ve had a bad experience, but LOL this is such BS. 

Why isn’t everyone made aware of a “Pro fit” option?  I wasn’t, even afer an ill fitting first pair.   Also you cant claim everyone was satisfied after the remake. The second pair I had made fit no different than the first even after you spent two hours trying to narrow the heels. I gave up on them but I still say True does not have the capability to make a skate that propely fits a smaller foot with a narrow heel.  Not “Truly Custom” as advertised. 

No need to just make stuff up because you’re unsatisfied.

• Facepalm 1

Can you tell me what is the pro fit option is? I had a size 5 skate and now the equivalent or close True. Is there no such thing as a proper Junior last? Why would the heel area need to be narrowed, upon my request and not just part of receiving a completely normal Junior last or insole that you would think should be in stock for those smaller feet like mine? Not enough information is given and I have suggested that the customer should be told more so they know what is going on when a problem occurs rather than just fix an issue and usually told nothing. Finally I have a pair of skates that I wore yesterday for the very first time and if I had not been on top of things by measuring my own product I could easily have been using skates that were far different. I have received great help, but I needed to be involved! I am still not sure as my heel pocket is still too wide and again I asked for a narrower heel than the old Bauer, so I am not satisfied customer. Some good help is there, but it does feel like True needs some warm bodies to do better work from the start and not having to go to management for a decent pair of skates.

Edited by smu
Left out large heel area - part

2 hours ago, smu said:

Can you tell me what is the pro fit option is? I had a size 5 skate and now the equivalent or close True. Is there no such thing as a proper Junior last? Why would the heel area need to be narrowed, upon my request and not just part of receiving a completely normal Junior last or insole that you would think should be in stock for those smaller feet like mine? Not enough information is given and I have suggested that the customer should be told more so they know what is going on when a problem occurs rather than just fix an issue and usually told nothing. Finally I have a pair of skates that I wore yesterday for the very first time and if I had not been on top of things by measuring my own product I could easily have been using skates that were far different. I have received great help, but I needed to be involved! I am still not sure if I am a satisfied customer, good help is there, but it does feel like True needs some warm bodies to do better work from the start and not having to go to management for a decent pair of skates.

To clarify my take on the Jr last comment. 

This is imo only-

True probably sells many more skates to people size 6 and up than 6 and under as most parents aren’t going to drop 800+ on their kids skates that are still growing. I think True has a number of lasts already made that they match the closest one to your scan and build your skates around that. I’m saying that they probably have a higher quantity of lasts to pick from in a size ten to accomodate different feet/shapes than they do in a size 5 simply because they have more customers in larger skates.

11 minutes ago, Superjet said:

This is imo only-

True probably sells many more skates to people size 6 and up than 6 and under as most parents aren’t going to drop 800+ on their kids skates that are still growing. I think True has a number of lasts already made that they match the closest one to your scan and build your skates around that. I’m saying that they probably have a higher quantity of lasts to pick from in a size ten to accommodate different feet/shapes than they do in a size 5 simply because they have more customers in larger skates.

Well they advertise Junior Skates and Custom made (maybe) all in the same breath!

I would suggest that there maybe many of us that have smaller feet. My regular shoe size is a 7 approximately, that depends on what shoe or running shoe I buy. With my skates I usually fit into a skate down two sizes from that 7, so I take a 5 Bauer. Even if it was a 5.5 there still should be a fair amount of us short adults out there, but I am just guessing of course. IMHO you are probably right, but where does that put me in getting a last that I can count on? True must have more than one in the 5 to the 5.5 area, if not why bother advertising them. Maybe after this post they will be no more!

Cheers - Alan

2 hours ago, smu said:

Finally I have a pair of skates that I wore yesterday for the very first time and if I had not been on top of things by measuring my own product I could easily have been using skates that were far different. 

Are they now a decent fit? Not sure if this is relevant, but my Bauer Custom skates were a bit tight in the toes, two more bakes, and many hours on ice and I'm rather impressed at how each is gradually forming a close mould around the foot. I assume True would be similar. 

34 minutes ago, smu said:

True must have more than one in the 5 to the 5.5 area, if not why bother advertising them. Maybe after this post they will be no more!

Many female skaters will have feet that small or smaller. I can think of one in a team I used to train with. 

2 hours ago, Superjet said:

True probably sells many more skates to people size 6 and up than 6 and under as most parents aren’t going to drop 800+ on their kids skates that are still growing. I think True has a number of lasts already made that they match the closest one to your scan and build your skates around that. I’m saying that they probably have a higher quantity of lasts to pick from in a size ten to accomodate different feet/shapes than they do in a size 5 simply because they have more customers in larger skates.

You're creating a lot of FUD from speculations.

This is the exact rumour that made me reach out to a few TRUE employees who've told me that they make custom lasts out of every scan. In fact the process that I've followed was that of my teammate's who wears juniors sizing (she's short).

48 minutes ago, Giltis said:

This is the exact rumour that made me reach out to a few TRUE employees who've told me that they make custom lasts out of every scan. In fact the process that I've followed was that of my teammate's who wears juniors sizing (she's short).

Possibly. Do you own a pair of true skates?

A custom last doesn’t exactly mean it’s made directly from your foot scan. I think they take an existing last closest to your scan and add material where you have weird bumps etc. 

4 hours ago, Superjet said:

This is imo only-

26 minutes ago, Superjet said:

Possibly. Do you own a pair of true skates?

A custom last doesn’t exactly[necessarily] mean it’s made directly from your foot scan. I think they take an existing last closest to your scan and add material where you have weird bumps etc. 

It really sucks that you have had a bad experience with the skates, and in my opinion you should get a refund and everyone should have been able to walk away from the deal after a couple of tries to remedy the situation.

That said you can't spread rumours off of speculations, in just these two short posts you use 8 uncertain speculative statements. I have verified these statements in the past with a current employee to be untrue, and followed the process to verify that. 

My disclosure is that I am considering purchasing a skate from them soon.

13 minutes ago, Giltis said:

It really sucks that you have had a bad experience with the skates, and in my opinion you should get a refund and everyone should have been able to walk away from the deal after a couple of tries to remedy the situation.

That said you can't spread rumours off of speculations, in just these two short posts you use 8 uncertain speculative statements. I have verified these statements in the past with a current employee to be untrue, and followed the process to verify that. 

My disclosure is that I am considering purchasing a skate from them soon.

I made it very clear that those were my opinions and thoughts, so I am not “spreading rumors.”  

I never understand people’s desire to defend a product/or company that they do not even own products produced by. 

22 minutes ago, Superjet said:

I made it very clear that those were my opinions and thoughts, so I am not “spreading rumors.”  

I never understand people’s desire to defend a product/or company that they do not even own products produced by. 

You don't understand people's desire to defend a product/company when nonsense is being spewed about them, regardless of whether you own their product or not? Okay.

And once again you're speculating that we don't own them... 

2 hours ago, Leif said:

Are they now a decent fit? Not sure if this is relevant, but my Bauer Custom skates were a bit tight in the toes, two more bakes, and many hours on ice and I'm rather impressed at how each is gradually forming a close mould around the foot. I assume True would be similar. 

Leif, thanks for asking! The skates were / are close, but I love a tight fit and still have 7.5 mm left in the heel area equating to one half size that I feel should have been taken away to some extent if not all! I am sure the outsole is not one that fits me as my heel area  been shaved off a little more from my complaints that it almost as large as my last skate that was too wide.  What do I have to ask for to get a last / outsole to fit a size 5 or True's equivalent for me?

I have to say the skates worked well especially with pronation, I was over my COG and I had the best game since I received my first pair almost exactly to the day 3 months ago. I have some issues, but I hope they will go away after a couple of more games to make sure that he skates are not too wide nor too long as mentioned above.

For every half size upward or downward the mouth of the laces (the empty space under the laces) gets wider or narrower and has an influence on your skating. If they are very narrow the skates is too long and there would be too much volume left otherwise if shorter the width is wider Also more empty space is filled. as you go up the laces and are a definite help in controlling your skates, so I have read.  I have noticed this before with ill fitting skates that were a size or two larger, my laces were as close as anything and very noticeable as well I noticed the looseness in the skates.

I am concerned that if I am asked again to have my skates re-baked and wrapped again to squeeze the empty space out that it may make my ankle pockets narrower, but with anything around the edge of the outer sole, as it is a piece of thick material not meant to bend, nothing much will be done for slack areas all round the outer sole!

With respect to the length I believe True was trying to be careful so that the skates would not be too small, but how could they leave 7.5 mm in the boot as empty space. This is over a half size! The main fact that why I went to True was to get a narrow boot and the pronation was secondary. I am not sure if I have what I asked for, but I want to give the skates a few more chances.

Somehow, if there is room to move in that boot it will come to the surface someday when out of warranty, for me and I am almost there. 🙂

25 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

You don't understand people's desire to defend a product/company when nonsense is being spewed about them, regardless of whether you own their product or not? Okay.

And once again you're speculating that we don't own them... 

Giltis doesn’t own a pair. 

IP, do you own a pair?

2 hours ago, Giltis said:

I would really like to pm this person if possible regarding the custom making of every scan (or request to purchase). Thanks!

4 hours ago, Leif said:

Many female skaters will have feet that small or smaller. I can think of one in a team I used to train with. 

Good point, forgot about the girls. I think I have been told that True does not make custom lasts. No, it was custom insoles, perhaps a misunderstanding. My thoughts were on the last and may have been mistaken for the the size 5,6 or 7 insole etc.

Since my insoles were altered in the heel area I want to know why there was no custom stock lasts that would not need this one change, but change the whole length of the last!

50 minutes ago, smu said:

I would really like to pm this person if possible regarding the custom making of every scan (or request to purchase). Thanks!

You can ask me/pm me any questions and I can relay, she's not on this forum, but I talk to her in person, or through BenchApp/text.

Edited by Giltis
Not worth it.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Leif said:

It's not just females or younger players. I know more than a few adult males of average height and weight wearing skates smaller than a size 6, myself being one.

Smu:I hope you find a good solution, whether that is using the skates you have, or otherwise. I guess I am lucky as my Bauer s160 skates were okay, and my current Bauer Custom skates are wonderful. Yes they were a bit painful at first, but they seem to have adjusted themselves to my feet. I think this is because my feet are fairly average. I’m sure you know, but there are posts in this forum about using a clamp to compress the heel. I have a feeling that the True skates are so mouldable that you should be able to get a nice fit. I’ve poked and prodded my friends pair, and without doubt they are quite different from my Bauers. 

For those that say "CCM or Bauer custom skates don't have fit issues" I wanted to share an email from one of my customers from this morning. I obviously removed any information relating to him and the shop he purchased the skates from as it was not through us. I felt with everyone focusing so heavily on True, and a lot of this focus is very negative, it should be noted that many of the issues customers have may be related to the shops doing the scanning/fitting. This is the second pair he has had made....... 

This is XXX with the custom CCM skates that we’re giving me the foot trouble.

First off, I wanted to say thanks again for taking the time to punch the left boot for me the other day, it definitely helped a bit.  Unfortunately, I spent a few hours reffing games in XXX last night and that skate is really bugging me and specifically my left pinky toe.

I think I’m to the point now that I’ve given up on my CCMs.  I don’t really know what else I or anyone else can do.  I feel like XXX did what they could, but there’s no point in contacting them again.

What I wanted to ask you, is a couple things.  First, if there’s something you think can be done if you reach out to your CCM rep, that would be good to know.  The only thing about that is if I have to send skates away for another 5 weeks (a total of about 3 months of getting this issue resolved), that would be lame. But I’m open to it if you have an idea.

The second question is about buying a pair of True skates from you.  I think what I’m going to do is skate on these SuperTacks for the rest of the weekend, as I have a lot of games to ref, but I’m going to put them up for sale on SidelineSwap if they don’t get better.  That being said, I’ll never get what I paid for them (which is also lame).  

• Like 1

Nicholas G: I had issues with my Bauer Custom skates compressing my toes and rubbing against the outsides of my small and big toes. As I mentioned earlier, they seem to be adjusting themselves, maybe when I skate they warm up, and expand slightly in response to pressure. To be honest custom skates of any brand are a close fitting item, and the foot is a living item that changes in size throughout the day, so expecting a perfect fit from the outset is perhaps unreasonable. However, the improved fit does give me a better feel for the ice, it is quite a revelation. Hell, one day I might learn to play hockey. 🙄

25 minutes ago, stick9 said:

It's not just females or younger players. I know more than a few adult males of average height and weight wearing skates smaller than a size 6, myself being one.

So, there are more than one of me, would anyone know if there would be a last for a 246 holder with steel?

Alan

On 1/4/2019 at 4:04 PM, Leif said:

Smu:I hope you find a good solution, whether that is using the skates you have, or otherwise. I guess I am lucky as my Bauer s160 skates were okay, and my current Bauer Custom skates are wonderful. Yes they were a bit painful at first, but they seem to have adjusted themselves to my feet. I think this is because my feet are fairly average. I’m sure you know, but there are posts in this forum about using a clamp to compress the heel. I have a feeling that the True skates are so mouldable that you should be able to get a nice fit. I’ve poked and prodded my friends pair, and without doubt they are quite different from my Bauers. 

I am with you, I loved my Bauers, but they were a D width and I need a C then I could work on my pronation by just posting the medial sides of the heel, but in order to get a good boot and also have it custom made I went to True. Oh GAWD, I just realized that my heel is still the same wide width as before.

I had exactly 2" wide shims for pronation that fit nicely in the heel pocket in my Bauers and my first go with True to make me a smaller, narrower skate these wedges were swimming in the heel pocket as the skates were made way to large. But, here is where I find myself saying "they must have fixed things this time" and now I have my flashlight and ruler etc out and take a look.

I just put in one wedge in the heel pocket and if the heel pocket has been narrowed then you must need a magnifying glass. So there is no difference from my Bauers. There has been no narrowing of what I was looking for initially. It took me 3 hours trying on skates in the LHS just to make the move to True because I could not find one good skate to fit me properly in a narrow skate.

Now this, I am really tired of all this and going back and forth with True. The time I have spent so far is astronomical and the 3 months lost in my life and on the ice! My whole family is sick of me talking about it, the same as it was on our the MSF! 

Now custom bottom sole here and no meaning full fix at all as promised!

Cheers - Alan

Edited by smu
spelling, one word wrong as well