Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
60PlusWinger

The P28 explosion. Who switched, why and did it work?

People who believe this is a revolution in shooting make me laugh. Guys have been shooting that way for years. Guys that have lived at the top of the goal list, however, not so much.

Edited by chippa13
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, 10013005 said:

among the high-level skills coaches I work with there's been a swing the other way where they consider the inside foot release (wrong foot snap shot) to be less projectable at pro level since it is harder to hide the shot inside the skating stride. if you look at James Neal's shot here you'll see he's able to create a lot of deception by shifting his weight onto his front (outside) foot, which is what the best in the business (both players and skills dev coaches) are working on now

As for the P28, more than 15 yrs ago Brett Hull used a big toe curve with a huge rocker and a whippy shaft. I used a stick like that for a while and now a P28 75 flex off the shelf gives me a similar feel and similar benefits (big sweet spot when taking one-timers, able to pull the puck in and change the angle) in a more user-friendly form (bigger blade than the Hull pro and much easier to find).

Interesting, thanks.  It makes sense.  They started with that inside foot snap shot to let the guys get the shot off faster in traffic, at a cost of loss of accuracy and power.  So now they've taken that hands-in-front, snap shot technique and moved it onto the outside foot to get more power and accuracy, but still maintain the shorter motion and quicker release and also to put it inside a natural weight transfer in a stride.  It also allows for more of a pull to change the angle and set the puck onto the toe.  The idea is still the same though - get the hands out in front to shorten the shooting motion by putting the puck at the release point.

Edited by psulion22

23 hours ago, Cavs019 said:

The profile and shaved toe on the Drury lets you do the same thing (with more control for some given the absence of the toe banana)

I’m not denying the versatility of the P28- but let’s not act like this style of shooting was invented yesterday.

The OG-Drury in action: 

(video's cued to the relevant point, just ignore the preview frame...)

• Like 1

The day my 16 year old self walked out of my then-LHS with three YP 100 silver OG Synergy’s was one of the best days of my gear-whoring career. :biggrin:

• Like 4

I usually get a heel or mid curve. I just got a P28 because it came in the lie I like compared to the other patterns avaiable, i.e. 5 for Sherwood BPM150.

Too much toe curve makes going top shelf easier, but shots from outside the circle can float way over the top cross bar, thus missing the net and forwards not being able to redirect the shot. I've been playing defense instead of wing so this blade may or may not work out. :mellow:

This video explains how the P28 curve is meant to be used, so if a player's style doesn't match up with it, that p28 is going to be more like a sand wedge compared to a driver.

• Like 2