Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
SILVER82

Step Steel

I have read through a bunch of old post about step steel and I didn't find exactly what i was looking for so I thought I would start a new topic. 

Im considering switching out the steel in my Mako 2 skates.  

Im finding various opinions of Step steel.  Have people that use it for awhile still happy with it?  Does it make that much of a noticeable difference?  Do people find it is worth the extra money over easton cxn steel? 

Thank you to anyone who posts their opinions 

Howdy,

I use it.  The biggest advantage for me is that I'm able to actually buy it, unlike the Easton CXN steel.  At least, in the sizes I need (263) and was able to find.

I noticed the extra height and different profile when I installed it (and liked both), but that wasn't a comparison to new Easton steel but rather to my worn down and banana'd out old steel.

Mark

I'm still using it.

When I first switched, I noticed a significant difference, but in terms of performance feel, I chalked it up to new steel. I did notice a significant improvement in durability. Nicks were the exception rather than the rule, even when I kicked the steel posts under the bench. 

After a while, I stopped noticing any performance benifits. But then, the shop screwed up my sharpening and I had to go back to my old steel for a bit. Noticed the durability difference immediately. Old steed didn't hold a good edge as long. Didn't really notice a performance change until I went back to my Step steel. 

For me, the true difference in performance was very subtle. I realized the edges felt crisper, like I had more control on how the edges gripped or didn't. The old steel felt a little more sloppy.  Then again, it could all be in my head. 

Any way, the difference in cost was $80 vs $100 Canadian, and for me, it was worth it just for the edge life and durability, regardless of any performance benifits or not. 

I've been a loyal user of Step and have used all 3 versions (Step, V-Steel, & Blacksteel) on 2 different sets of skates, and I do think it's is worth the investment.  Performance-wise, I agree with puck pilot.  You're not going to see a significant improvement from a performance perspective.  I don't really feel you get better glide per se cause of the materials or anything, however, Step does hold an edge much longer than many other steels, and thus I guess you can say that's a performance benefit, since better edges, better performance.  Where Step really shines is in it's sharpening benefits.  Step typically holds edges longer and due to the improved quality/hardness of the steel, it's a bit more resistant to nicks/gouges.  So you will find that you don't need to sharpen as much with Step.  Also, being that I sharpen my own skates, Step sharpens incredibly clean with minimal to no burrs, so it requires less maintenance to sharpen them.  Regular Step will slightly burr from time to time but I have never experienced burrs with Blacksteel.  Don't think V-Steel is really worth it cause I don't find it's much different from regular Step with the exception of the mirror finish.  Blacksteel is noticeably different though from regular Step, and is worth the investment, particularly if you sharpen your own skates.  Another added benefit, if you don't mind the height of Step steel, is that you will get a much longer life out of Step than most other steels, since there's just that much more steel on them.

I like the sounds of not needing to sharpen the skates as often.  I do like my edges to be sharp and currently get them done every 7-10 skates, so hopefully that number goes up which I hope will mean less trips to the shop. 

1 hour ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

I've been a loyal user of Step and have used all 3 versions (Step, V-Steel, & Blacksteel) on 2 different sets of skates, and I do think it's is worth the investment.  Performance-wise, I agree with puck pilot.  You're not going to see a significant improvement from a performance perspective.  I don't really feel you get better glide per se cause of the materials or anything, however, Step does hold an edge much longer than many other steels, and thus I guess you can say that's a performance benefit, since better edges, better performance.  Where Step really shines is in it's sharpening benefits.  Step typically holds edges longer and due to the improved quality/hardness of the steel, it's a bit more resistant to nicks/gouges.  So you will find that you don't need to sharpen as much with Step.  Also, being that I sharpen my own skates, Step sharpens incredibly clean with minimal to no burrs, so it requires less maintenance to sharpen them.  Regular Step will slightly burr from time to time but I have never experienced burrs with Blacksteel.  Don't think V-Steel is really worth it cause I don't find it's much different from regular Step with the exception of the mirror finish.  Blacksteel is noticeably different though from regular Step, and is worth the investment, particularly if you sharpen your own skates.  Another added benefit, if you don't mind the height of Step steel, is that you will get a much longer life out of Step than most other steels, since there's just that much more steel on them.

In your opinion does it make sense to go with the black steel over the regular? worth the extra coin?

4 hours ago, SILVER82 said:

In your opinion does it make sense to go with the black steel over the regular? worth the extra coin?

Blacksteel is generally $40-$50 more per pair than regular Step.

-If you've never skated on Step, I would go with regular Step first to see if you like it.  That way you're not "all in" with Blacksteel if you don't like it.

-If you have someone sharpen your skates, I would go with regular Step, unless you've got a good sharpener who's really knowledgable.  Regular Step is a bit more resilient against carelessness, since it doesn't have the gloss finish of V-Steel or Blacksteel.  Also, if you did have to get rid of burrs, regular Step can be honed with a stone.  V-Steel and Blacksteel require a leather strop for getting rid of burrs to prevent marring the finish (again though, burrs are very uncommon with Blacksteel)

BTW...from what I can gather, it might not be easy to find Blacksteel for your Makos.

Edited by shoot_the_goalie

9 hours ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

Blacksteel is generally $40-$50 more per pair than regular Step.

-If you've never skated on Step, I would go with regular Step first to see if you like it.  That way you're not "all in" with Blacksteel if you don't like it.

-If you have someone sharpen your skates, I would go with regular Step, unless you've got a good sharpener who's really knowledgable.  Regular Step is a bit more resilient against carelessness, since it doesn't have the gloss finish of V-Steel or Blacksteel.  Also, if you did have to get rid of burrs, regular Step can be honed with a stone.  V-Steel and Blacksteel require a leather strop for getting rid of burrs to prevent marring the finish (again though, burrs are very uncommon with Blacksteel)

BTW...from what I can gather, it might not be easy to find Blacksteel for your Makos.

Thank you for your thoughts.  I think I will give the regular a try.  Waiting to try the black steel will give me something to look forward to someday. Once I have skated on them a few times I will post back 

Steve 

I went from Bauer LS4 steel (on my old 1X's) to the V-Steel (on my 1X 2.0's) and noticed a difference right away. The new skates could have also made a difference but I do feel it's worth the investment. Overall, I feel it gives you a boost in performance over other steel and definitely hold edges longer. 

1 minute ago, markush said:

Any idea when Step Steel will be available for the new CCM holder (which can switch runners very quickly like the Bauer Edge holder does)

We know that CCM will be most likely to allow Step to have compatible steel (unlike Bauer in the US) for the holder come out sooner than later. I should ask my contact at Step...

Step is a pro-only option at this point. 

The retail skates will have CCM steel. Not sure if Step will be selling aftermarket. You’d think they would.  Won’t know until the skate comes out at retail.  

14 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

We know that CCM will be most likely to allow Step to have compatible steel (unlike Bauer in the US) for the holder come out sooner than later. I should ask my contact at Step...

Step, Massive, Byonic, Tydan and Flare have all confirmed they will offer steel for the new runners. They just haven't said when. I assume it will be shortly after the initial release of the holders so June or later of 2019. 

9 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

Step, Massive, Byonic, Tydan and Flare have all confirmed they will offer steel for the new runners. They just haven't said when. I assume it will be shortly after the initial release of the holders so June or later of 2019. 

Saves me an email...

Seriously, though- it drove me nuts how Bauer seemingly wanted people tied to their crappy steel as a price of having the easily removable steel, which was one reason why I never even considered Bauer holders when ordering my True/VH skates (mine were transitional when True had just bought VH); of course now you are stuck with the True/Step holder when ordering said skates.

I always liked that I could get Step steel for CCM holders from the onset. 

5 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

Saves me an email...

Seriously, though- it drove me nuts how Bauer seemingly wanted people tied to their crappy steel as a price of having the easily removable steel, which was one reason why I never even considered Bauer holders when ordering my True/VH skates (mine were transitional when True had just bought VH); of course now you are stuck with the True/Step holder when ordering said skates.

I always liked that I could get Step steel for CCM holders from the onset. 

I've been using the new XS holders on one of my pairs of skates and love them. I plan to change all of my skates to the new XS holder once its released and Flare offers steel for it. 

17 minutes ago, Nicholas G said:

I've been using the new XS holders on one of my pairs of skates and love them. I plan to change all of my skates to the new XS holder once its released and Flare offers steel for it. 

I was hoping CCM would build a better mouse trap! 

Edited by bunnyman666