Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hillios

Favourite Pads

Hey So since almost every company has nice pads what is your Favourite Pad. My Favourite Pads Are the Koho 580's (Which i have) And the CCM Gatekeepers. Lets her what you guys like!!!!!

TPS IceCaps are just sexual and i like my mates REY pads, i wore them in a game last night and they were perfect only flaw for me was they weren't square enough.

Pads that i want / look good i'd have to go with TPS Bionics, CCM Gatekeeper and i quite like those new Heaton pads whatever there called :P

Vaughn Velocities and 2005 Mission Motions...Which would explain why I bought both. :D

vaughn1.jpg ... don't have a pic of my Missions yet...

Here's the lowdown...

The Velo's perform flawlessly if you are a profly style goalie. That's what they were designed for and the strapping system makes them numero uno in that department. The only downside on the velo's is 1) square outer rolls (I prefer angled) and 2) short standard thigh rise (you need to order at least a +2 to better close the 5 hole).

The new 2005 Mission Motion pads are almost perfect. Outstanding job by their designers. The biggest plus is the HUGE thigh rises. My velo's are 33" my missions are 36". The leg channels line up, the knee cradles line up...the extra 3" is all thigh rise! They are beautiful... The only knock I have on the missions is 1) I wish they would have located all straps below the knee like vaughns. Facilitates moving into the profly wall soooo much easier and 2) The nylon on the instep hinders your cross ice sliding while down. The new nylon is MUCH better than my old 2004 motions for sliding but still no where near as smooth as the synthetic leather inner leg on the vaughns.

As a side note, I don't really believe any one company has made the perfect pad yet. Every company and every pad have pluses and minuses to them. It's all about finding the perfect compromise for your particular style of play... Like I mentioned before, these two both offered a great set of compromises for me and yet the two are as different as night and day. All that said, I'm not naive enough to believe they would be right for everyone else though.

I agree with you netminder. My PMW!'s are 36.5 with a +3 thigh rise (Yes that makes a total of 39.5!!!). But I am 6'2" tall, and when I go down into the profly, they can only beat me by roofing it over my shulder!!!!

Question, I know nothing about goalie pads, but what are the differences between 580's and 590's. My only guess would be that 590's are higher-end :angry: ?

Question, I know nothing about goalie pads, but what are the differences between 580's and 590's. My only guess would be that 590's are higher-end :blink: ?

Same thing only different :D

The 580 and 590 are both Koho Pro level pads. The major difference is the 580 is a little softer pad while the 590 is almost board rigid. Most Koho goalies I know seem to migrate towards the "585". Which is the nickname for 590 pads with the 580 graphics...

The 580 and 590 are both Koho Pro level pads. The major difference is the 580 is a little softer pad while the 590 is almost board rigid. Most Koho goalies I know seem to migrate towards the "585". Which is the nickname for 590 pads with the 580 graphics...

Or the 580 pads with 590 graphics. :)

motionset.jpg

... and here's the Mission set :D

Sadly the Vaughns are no more. I needed the money more than two sets of goalie gear so, since my last post the Vaughn's have gone to a new owner.

Turns out I really like massively oversized pads! :P

motionset.jpg

... and here's the Mission set :D

Sadly the Vaughns are no more. I needed the money more than two sets of goalie gear so, since my last post the Vaughn's have gone to a new owner.

Turns out I really like massively oversized pads! :P

... And back to Vaughn :D

velos2.jpg

Still liking the massively oversized pads... 34 + 3 :o

Now the Missions have moved on to a new owner.... I found them a little heavy compared to the Velo's. I also had a brief stint with some new CCM Gatekeepers, but in the end I still find nothing performs like the Velocity's.

You must change pads more then I change my underwear. I wish I had the luxury if being able to give new pads a chance every couple of months.

You must change pads more then I change my underwear. I wish I had the luxury if being able to give new pads a chance every couple of months.

LOL...actually I'm done now.

It just took me a while to find what I really wanted. And it didn't cost as much as you might imagine. I'm pretty cost concious when I shop and sold a lot of the stuff for as much as I paid for it.

Here's what I tried along the way:

Coopers (of course)

D&R Quantums 31"

Koho (540's I think) 32"

Heaton Helite 5's 32"

Vaughn Legacy's 33"

CCM/Heaton Pro 10's 33"

Vaughn Velocity's 33"

Mission Motions '04 model 34"

Mission Motions '05 model 36"

CCM Gatekeeper Pro's 34" + 1"

and finally

Vaughn Velocity 34" + 3"

Mind you that covers a 16 year goaltending journey... However everything from the Heaton 5's to the second set of Velo's happened in the last 5 years. :P

My favorite pads were Forrestor's. They were the first non-Cooper I had in my career. They were way ahead of their time, great durability. I had them for 10 years and not a tear or stitch loose, and still firm. Way different than the velo's that replaced them, which began falling apart after 3 months. Finally, I had to get rid of them, they were just too soft, they wouldn't rotate properly anymore. I replaced the velo's with PRISMS 9.8 which were/are great, both in performance, durability and value. Too bad Prism went out of business. I have my eyes on a set of RBK's here in the store. Sweet. I try them on every day (when my wife isn't looking) :D Actually the Koho 600, designed by lefebre. Nice!

ok sorry about this question but i am not a goalie and ive been wondering this for a while, what does it mean whne like you say you have 34 + 2 inch pads, what does the "+2" mean?

it means 34' to the knee part (or lock) and an additional 2" to the top like a board and overall it would be 36" for the whole thing.

can somebody show him a pic of that?

My fave pads so far in my 5 yr career would be the 05' 32" Mission Motion pads and i totally agreed with netminder about his opinion about them and the price!!! but i'm gearing to more better pads like velos 2 (if i have the money <_< )

ok sorry about this question but i am not a goalie and ive been wondering this for a while, what does it mean whne like you say you have 34 + 2 inch pads, what does the "+2" mean?

Extra length added to the pads at the thigh rise. Helps cover the 5 hole area when in a butterfly position...