Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chadd

*Some* parents are idiots

At first all I saw was "a parent has been charged with choking" and though, I didn't know Peyton Manning had kids 'rimshot'

See, that's why when I used to ref, I'd throw crazy parents out like whoa. After reffing enough you can usually get a feel about 5mins in who's going to be a problem.

I think parents forget that this sports is meant to be fun. Why cant and start and end with that?

Oh yea ... most parents are idiots. Got it. :P

I love crazy parents. Fights in the stands, fights on the ice, players vs parents, its all alot of fun. Luckily my dad isn't a nutbar, but it does provide alot of entertainment from a players point of view. At younger ages it hurts a little more and there are more wacko's. Think most people have time to develope and can grow into an all-star, or at least their parents view. I think Canada gets a bad rap from all of this though, from the American tournaments I was in the parents were MUCH more hostile. I've played in Michigan, Buffalo and a few others just across the boarder while playing in Canada vs. American teams isn't as bad as in America, its still worse than normal (being a Canadian).

Doesn't surprise me i live outside of Toronto and things like this are always happening . The kid only sat acouple shifts !!! So what !! Kids on my team sit periods for things like that .

My brother (goalie) sat the first 5 minutes of a game a few years ago for being LATE to a practice. No they didn't have a back up either; they played 6 on 5 for 5 minutes. :lol: Didn't get scored on either.

I saw a 1/2 of a summer league game played before the goalie showed up. It was like that too, no one scored against the open net! Now, they were not playing against the Boston Bruins, but that 6th defender really makes a big difference!

Doesn't surprise me i live outside of Toronto and things like this are always happening . The kid only sat acouple shifts !!! So what !! Kids on my team sit periods for things like that .

My brother (goalie) sat the first 5 minutes of a game a few years ago for being LATE to a practice. No they didn't have a back up either; they played 6 on 5 for 5 minutes. :lol: Didn't get scored on either.

Most of the time when a goalie isn't in the opposing players play a bit differently. They take shots from their own end and just make other stupid mistakes. I see it happen a fair bit around here for in-line roller, houseleague, but it can be an advantage.

Real life situation....what would you do?

Your son is playing a game in a minor league hockey game(adult, although he is only 16)....inline, non contact.....he has had a strong first half, scoring 4 or 5 goals and is generally dominating the play when on the floor. The opposing team manages to find a guy in the multi rink complex, who is not on the roster (you find out later) and convinces him to play the second half of the game.

After this new player's first shift it's evident that this kid's sole purpose is to take out your son by whatever means necessary. There are two near misses with his stick to your son's face....just barely avoided at the last second... no penalties....the third time this player manages to catch your son in the eye with a butt end of the stick as he is carrying the puck across center, knocking him to the floor with blood streaming from his eye. There is no doubt that it was intentional.

This player is immediately challenged to a fight by one of your son's team mates, but runs away. He get's a four minute double minor.....you do not know if your son can see yet....they are still attending to his eye.

Your son is on the bench for the rest of the game pressing a towel to his face, and being attended to by a local EMT. The kid who did this is no longer playing but still on the bench taunting everyone on the rink....the game ends, and the players have to file by you to get to the dressing rooms.

As a parent how do you react?

man mr egan, that sorta sounds like morristown's minor team in piha.

but yeah, I see what you're saying, times like that a parent is more than welcome to say their peace. hell, if I was reffing, and the kid was of age, I'd have no problem with it getting physical because I hate goons.

I just have a problem with the parents who flip out if you make an obvious call against their kid, or flip out on the coach if their child was out there for a goal against.

Actually it was Piha Minors a couple of years ago, but not Morristown...The cheap shotting was much worse in the Minor league than in the Major league, possibly because of the difference in the talent levels within the league.

In circumstances like this, as a parent you feel obliged to defend your child, and I was almost in a complete rage when that game ended. But had I attacked this player as he came off the rink, not only would I have become liable, but my son would probably have been banned from playing as well, not to mention how embarrassing it would have been for him.

But where do you draw the line.....as a parent is it ok to just let this sort of thing go? This particular action happened in a semi pro minor league...(very minor), but I have seen the same sort of actions from kids starting at the levels of Pee Wee ice....kids trying to take out a knee, running a player from behind, throwing a stick up in the face/ throat on every check....and you can tell when it is deliberate..and at times at the direction of an opposing coach, particularily when it takes place against an impact player.

If you are one of the lucky ones, your child survives all this crap, and continues to enjoy the sport, but what if you are not? What if you are one of the parents whose kid loses an eye, or has a collapsed orbital bone impairing his / her sight, a broken neck from being driven head first into the boards from behind.....

To avoid "parental rage", and there are circumstances where it is not just ego, that can cause this, but as pictured above, a very disturbing event, what avenue does a parent have?

This is just in counterpoint, from a parent who has seen a lot.

I have to agree that there are many situations where the ire of the parent is strictly due to an ego situation, and nothing to do with any real injustice....I have seen this myself from the parents of my son's teams over the years.....It's just that there are also occasions where in your own mind as a parent, and the minds of parents around you, it seems extremely justified, but even then you have to hold back.

you guys probably havn't seen any games in down river detroit, I remember a few times we went there, the game was stopped after a bench/stand clearing brawl, and this was a while ago, on two separate occasions.

kids just shouldn't be exposed to that kind of behavior. it belongs in a prison not a kids hockeygame.

you guys probably havn't seen any games in down river detroit, I remember a few times we went there, the game was stopped after a bench/stand clearing brawl, and this was a while ago, on two separate occasions.

kids just shouldn't be exposed to that kind of behavior. it belongs in a prison not a kids hockeygame.

ahhh... i love talyortucky

This happened at the ATOM level? Horrible.

I think this was bound to happen, I take in quite a few GTHL games all across the city and some parents are out of control. Some are so pissed up at the games its a wonder that they can stay awake for their kids games, there is verbal abuse, abusive coaches... the list goes on and on. The cost of this level of hockey is well over $1000.00, the clubs are investing money for professional coaches for the ATOM level and it is ceasing to be fun for a lot of kids. It is more about winning than having fun, learning teamwork and leadership skills and it is only going to get more insane.

In this case I feel sorry for this guy's son, he hasn't attended a practice or game since the incident and I'm sure all he wanted to do was play a game he loves with the team he earned a spot on.

ahhh... i love talyortucky

close, it was actually River Rouge, in 'the hood'. the second game, a riot was started after a player got kicked while down. we got to see the coach and a crazed parent go at it right on the bench.

The GTHL banned this idiot from attending games for the next 5 years, and I think he got off light. Knowing our justice system, he will probably get off with a slap on the wrist.