Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

Bladetech Initial Thoughts

On 2/15/2023 at 11:04 AM, JHill said:

Great detail on the elasticity responses!  How about the DLC?  Does that have similar elastic points, or can that tend to crack and spiderweb over time at the flex points?

The DLC is about a micron thick, it will not change the way the blade works, except for that it will hold the edges longer and you wont need to sharpen as much. We havent experienced a single issue of the DLC cracking on the steel, hope it stays that way 😄

I have the non-polished standard steel. Literally used twice and then taken out of my steel rotation because I decided to go back to my old profile, but wasn't ready to grind over the one it came with, as I like to go back and forth for experimental purposes sometimes. 

Anyway, I went to fish them out today and found quite a bit of rust... The blade was even pitted at one point .

Has anyone else experienced this? All the other sets of steel right next to this pair were fine... To be sure, my basement is very cool and dry.

Edited by pgeorgan

Hey all,

I know that it was brought up at the beginning of this thread about the design of this steel and the way it preforms possibly damaging or eventually wearing out holders. I was wanting to follow up and see if any of you have had any long time experience with these and if there has been any issues regarding this.

Thanks in advance 

My kid has been using them the last 2 years +, swapping skates about every season (outgrowing gear).  No issues with any wear that I've noticed to the holders.  I must have missed it, but what kind of damage were folks speculating could happen?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, A2rhino said:

Hey all,

I know that it was brought up at the beginning of this thread about the design of this steel and the way it preforms possibly damaging or eventually wearing out holders. I was wanting to follow up and see if any of you have had any long time experience with these and if there has been any issues regarding this.

Thanks in advance 

Been swapping two sets of the dlc for a couple years now.  Never had any issues.  I sometimes swap in a pair of old black step steel that I had left over and they're as tight as ever.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, krisdrum said:

My kid has been using them the last 2 years +, swapping skates about every season (outgrowing gear).  No issues with any wear that I've noticed to the holders.  I must have missed it, but what kind of damage were folks speculating could happen?

Was thinking anything that's causing friction would eventually wear the holder out and cause the steel to not stay as stable as new.  

9 minutes ago, A2rhino said:

Was thinking anything that's causing friction would eventually wear the holder out and cause the steel to not stay as stable as new.  

They were rock solid in CCM XS holders.  Been in True Shift Max holders the last 18 months or so and did experience some fore/aft and vertical play between blades and holders, but play wasn't there with supplied True steel, which makes no sense, so not sure it is an outcome of the blades.  Second set of True holders had zero issues, so I chalk it up to the holder, not the blade.    

Edited by krisdrum

On 4/4/2023 at 10:53 AM, Giltis said:

Have any goalies tried this? I am more and more curious about them.

Do Stanley Cup Winners Adin Hill and Logan Thompson count? haha

We have plenty of goalies who use and love. 

Note, our goalie steel is quite a bit taller than OEM, so you can get a better angle of attack 🙂

On 5/26/2023 at 1:50 PM, pgeorgan said:

I have the non-polished standard steel. Literally used twice and then taken out of my steel rotation because I decided to go back to my old profile, but wasn't ready to grind over the one it came with, as I like to go back and forth for experimental purposes sometimes. 

Anyway, I went to fish them out today and found quite a bit of rust... The blade was even pitted at one point .

Has anyone else experienced this? All the other sets of steel right next to this pair were fine... To be sure, my basement is very cool and dry.

Quite odd to hear actually - send us pictures and we can help you out. 

sales@bladetechhockey.ca

3 hours ago, A2rhino said:

just critiques and competitors trying to make issues out of thin air to scare people 😉 

The ones who try us, end up using for years, and then laugh that there is never any issue.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jeff Azzolin Bladetech said:

Quite odd to hear actually - send us pictures and we can help you out. 

sales@bladetechhockey.ca

I thought so too, but it happened. I sent you an email. 

On 8/28/2024 at 8:10 PM, Jeff Azzolin Bladetech said:

Do Stanley Cup Winners Adin Hill and Logan Thompson count? haha

We have plenty of goalies who use and love. 

Note, our goalie steel is quite a bit taller than OEM, so you can get a better angle of attack 🙂

I ended up getting it on my player skates and I quite like them.

Unfortunately I ran into an issue when I got them for the old holder SB4.0, the blade would not hold an edge (I still have the blades somewhere). I ended up swapping the holders and trying them one more time. 

IMG_5824.jpeg

On 9/5/2024 at 2:08 PM, Giltis said:

I ended up getting it on my player skates and I quite like them.

Unfortunately I ran into an issue when I got them for the old holder SB4.0, the blade would not hold an edge (I still have the blades somewhere). I ended up swapping the holders and trying them one more time. 

IMG_5824.jpeg

If you are using one of those "rubber stones"... remember.. its RUBBER... it will NOT cut steel, and remove burrs, let alone DLC diamond coated surfaces. Use a CERAMIC stone and run it on a 10 degree angle so you do not ruin and scratch your nice and expensive DLC coating. Check out our website. See the FAQ video #7. Its the best 3 minutes of education that every sharpener in the world should see and understand.  Throw the rubber in the trash. haha. Happy skating!

7 hours ago, Jeff Azzolin Bladetech said:

If you are using one of those "rubber stones"... remember.. its RUBBER... it will NOT cut steel, and remove burrs, let alone DLC diamond coated surfaces. Use a CERAMIC stone and run it on a 10 degree angle so you do not ruin and scratch your nice and expensive DLC coating. Check out our website. See the FAQ video #7. Its the best 3 minutes of education that every sharpener in the world should see and understand.  Throw the rubber in the trash. haha. Happy skating!

Rubber hone works fine for me to deburr pulse ti and step dlc after it's been sharpened on my sparx.... Unless you're talking about actual nicks 

17 hours ago, Jeff Azzolin Bladetech said:

This is good advice.  I tried the rubber stones without much luck.  It might seem like the rubber is working because there's not usually much of a burr on the dlc but I get a much cleaner edge just using a regular stone at a slight angle.  I've been sharpening on a Wissota for about 20 years.  In the end, if it feels right on the ice, then it's right. 🙂