Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
bogeywhite

Better value stick? Used elite or new competitive.

I'm curious to hear thoughts of people who have been playing a while and used both. Torn between purchasing a used elite-level stick for around $100-150 and, a new competitive-level stick for around $150-200.

Is a lighter more tech advanced stick with used blade a better choice than a new stick that would be a bit heavier but have a stiff as new blade?

Thanks in advance.

Yeah, definitely a no to used sticks. Pro stock, closeouts, new old stock sticks. 

If you're willing to spend 200 on a mid tier stick, you could easily get a top level pro stock for week under 200. If that's your budget you should definitely look elsewhere

Edited by Miller55

My answer is the competitive level, for the reasons everyone else has listed, but what two sticks are you comparing? People might be able to give you some comparative options if price is an issue  

Also, where are you buying these? You can buy brand new pro stock sticks for $100-$150. That’s too much for a used stick where you don’t know what’s happened to it. 

• Like 1

I think it depends on. how used the stick is.  I have bought and sold used elite level sticks that have had plenty of life in them.  I think a real pro is more likely to break down a stick than a beer leaguer.  Most adult league players don't really flex that stick the way it's intended and it probably has plenty of life left in it.  I wouldn't shy away from that value. To me the real value is in the new pro stocks tho.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Davideo said:

I would not get a used stick unless it was very inexpensive. If possible buy previous year's models, clearance options, etc. to save money.

Pretty much this. 

If you look at  the clearance sections, if your timing is good, last generation's sticks can be had for 40-50% off, even the top tier ones. IMHO, there's usually no need to pay full price if you're patient. 

• Like 2

On 12/22/2020 at 2:05 AM, dkmiller3356 said:

Most adult league players don't really flex that stick the way it's intended and it probably has plenty of life left in it. 

Most adult league players don't have the best shooting technique (so the blade breaks down really fast on slap shots) and play in games where wood chopping is part of the game. I'd rather take a used pro stock over a used beer leaguer any day.

• Haha 1

On 12/23/2020 at 3:47 AM, Vet88 said:

Most adult league players don't have the best shooting technique (so the blade breaks down really fast on slap shots) and play in games where wood chopping is part of the game. I'd rather take a used pro stock over a used beer leaguer any day.

Depends where you are from. Here in the North East, the majority of beer leaguers have played organized hockey all the way up to High School, some beyond that. Not sure where you play, but here wood chopping is definitely not part of the game. It's a simple equation, hack my stick and I hack yours or you for that matter. Everyone gets that, or learns it pretty quickly. FWIW, no way would I buy a used pro stock over a used beer league stick. The power pros have and the frequency in which they use them will have a much bigger impact on the life of the stick. 

As for used sticks. I agree with dkmiller. I've bought and sold used sticks without issue. But I know what to look for and what to ask sellers. For example, I've bought new sticks to try a certian curve. If I don't like it, I'll sell it. Those are the types of used sticks you want to look for.

Back to the OP's point. Not knowing the particulars of the used stick in question and all the other variables in place, go with the new completive level stick, or find last year's elite level on closeout, like a Warrior Alpha QX at HM.

Pro-Stocks, which I fully support aren't for everyone. 

• Like 2