Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Jbear

Trying 100k's Next Week

On 5/8/2022 at 2:58 PM, PBH said:

My only complaint with the 90K is CCM used a TPU outsole instead of a carbon outsole as they did with the 70K and 80K.

6 hours ago, moonrockticktock said:

I second this. I think if they put a carbon outsole on the 90k it would attract more people that want the traditional boot option without having to downgrade because of their preference. On the other hand it might not be in Ccm’s interest to keep people on a two piece boot as they have now converted all their top of the line skates to one piece and by forcing people to switch out of lack of options might just get people used to their one piece boot and accept the change. 

CCM kind of messed with their numbering with the 100k... they went from 70k to 80k and then jumped to 100k as the top of the line Ribcor skate, so the 90k is really the new 78k which is why it's not a one piece and doesn't have the full tech of the the previous top of the line model.  Granted the 90k is prob a step higher than the previous 78k but it's still one level down from the top so they had to hold back on some of the fancy options.  I found this out when looking to upgrade my 78k's, I thought I found a steal on 90k's but then realized they were essentially just a newer version of what I already had (I completely jumped ship and went with a NOS pair of Jetspeed FT490's that I found for a bargain and have come to love).

On 5/20/2022 at 10:15 AM, xstartxtodayx said:

CCM kind of messed with their numbering with the 100k... they went from 70k to 80k and then jumped to 100k as the top of the line Ribcor skate, so the 90k is really the new 78k which is why it's not a one piece and doesn't have the full tech of the the previous top of the line model.  Granted the 90k is prob a step higher than the previous 78k but it's still one level down from the top so they had to hold back on some of the fancy options.  I found this out when looking to upgrade my 78k's, I thought I found a steal on 90k's but then realized they were essentially just a newer version of what I already had (I completely jumped ship and went with a NOS pair of Jetspeed FT490's that I found for a bargain and have come to love).

The 490's are a heck of a bargain.

The other miss on the 90k was sticking with standard sizing. The Fit system would have made it more attractive to a wider range of players. 

Edited by stick9

6 minutes ago, beedee said:

Yikes, give us the backstory on how that happened!

p.jpeg

p.jpeg

Not really one. Blocked a clapper from the blue line. Crawled off the ice, looked down and saw the damage. 🤕

On a side note, the store is saying CCM won't go for a return under the 90-day guarantee because of the damage. I responded back that I disagreed for various reasons, but I guess that answers all the questions I've seen on this forum and elsewhere about said guarantee.

They will do a *replacement* though under the warranty, since it's still active. However, that leaves me with no option of reconsidering my purchase. I've had skates get hit before and not explode like this. Perhaps there's too much tension there because of the one-piece boot tech? Who knows, just spitballing here. 

Point being, the "guarantee" isn't really a guarantee. 

I think its dishonest on CCM's part if that's the case. There were no terms or fine print that I could find, but I guarantee if they slapped some fine print to the effect of "void if damaged" that people would think twice about taking them up on their offer. 

I know I would. 

Edited by pgeorgan

....and that's my worry about the materials used in that skate.   I was looing into that the Super Tacks AS1 skates a few years back and came across some threads, as well as YouTube videos that showed the composite materials used in the boot had some issues with cracking and or splitting.  I know you blocked a slap shot, but my god, should that even realistically happen to a skate boot?  Was it Zedeno Chara shooting at you?

2 minutes ago, noupf said:

Was it Zedeno Chara shooting at you?

Nope! And I think that's the most reinforced part of the skate, right? Thank God it wasn't further along my instep. I'd have a broken foot.

Edited by pgeorgan

Just now, pgeorgan said:

Nope! And I think that's the most reinforced part of the skate, right? Thank God it wasn't further along my instep. I'd have a broken foot.

Yea man, thats crazy.  I'm in the market for new skates still and I was leaning towards the 100k's......but after seeing this, it makes me second guess their durability.  I only play men's league now, but I do play D and often times i block shots out of habit.  Last thing i want to do is drop $900 and have this happen.  

2 minutes ago, noupf said:

Yea man, thats crazy.  I'm in the market for new skates still and I was leaning towards the 100k's......but after seeing this, it makes me second guess their durability.  I only play men's league now, but I do play D and often times i block shots out of habit.  Last thing i want to do is drop $900 and have this happen.  

Ya I'm not totally thrilled with a replacement being the only option. I guess I could try to go that route and sell the new ones if I'm really that concerned but ya so much for 90-day guarantee.

To be fair, this is the manager speaking on behalf of CCM. I don't think CCM has actually weighed in either way, so I kindly asked that they double checked and gave my reasons why. 

14 minutes ago, pgeorgan said:

On a side note, the store is saying CCM won't go for a return under the 90-day guarantee because of the damage. I responded back that I disagreed for various reasons, but I guess that answers all the questions I've seen on this forum and elsewhere about said guarantee.

They will do a *replacement* though under the warranty, since it's still active. However, that leaves me with no option of reconsidering my purchase. I've had skates get hit before and not explode like this. Perhaps there's too much tension there because of the one-piece boot tech? Who knows, just spitballing here. 

Point being, the "guarantee" isn't really a guarantee. 

I think its dishonest on CCM's part if that's the case. There were no terms or fine print that I could find, but I guarantee if they slapped some fine print to the effect of "void if damaged" that people would think twice about taking them up on their offer. 

I know I would. 

Would they replace both skates or just the one that exploded?

I suppose you could sell the replacement skates but at a little bit of a loss unfortunately.  

3 minutes ago, CaptainCharisma said:

Would they replace both skates or just the one that exploded?

I suppose you could sell the replacement skates but at a little bit of a loss unfortunately.  

Yes both skates. 

At this point it appears my options are either get the replacement pair and use them, or sell them as new and switch back to Bauer. 

The manager has stated they've already been down this road with CCM with a similar situation and they wouldn't accept the skates back under the "Guarantee". 

Edited by pgeorgan

Just from the  "Is this skate worth it?" perspective...Seems like a fluke...which happens.  I had AS1s and have had AS3 Pros since they came out.  I block a lot of shots relative to most people I observe and my skates are holding up exceptionally well. I'm probably on the ice 5x week.  I wouldn't write them off if you like how they feel and ride, but I'd definitely be pissed.

14 minutes ago, Jbear said:

Just from the  "Is this skate worth it?" perspective...Seems like a fluke...which happens.  I had AS1s and have had AS3 Pros since they came out.  I block a lot of shots relative to most people I observe and my skates are holding up exceptionally well. I'm probably on the ice 5x week.  I wouldn't write them off if you like how they feel and ride, but I'd definitely be pissed.

Good to know.  I always hate to see the failure of something you are thinking about purchasing.  It usually taints the product in my head, but in the grand scheme for things, its 1 out of thousands that had this failure  Hopefully just a fluke.

In my opinion. CCM should automatically replace the skates as a warrantee claim. Whatever time is left on the 90 day satisfaction guarantee should be transferred to the replacement pair. My reasoning, the damage prevented you from using them for the full 90 day period. 

Maybe you could argue that you are no longer satisfied with the skate due to the damage from routine use. Either way, I'd reach out to CCM directly and see what they say.

1 hour ago, stick9 said:

In my opinion. CCM should automatically replace the skates as a warrantee claim. Whatever time is left on the 90 day satisfaction guarantee should be transferred to the replacement pair. My reasoning, the damage prevented you from using them for the full 90 day period. 

Maybe you could argue that you are no longer satisfied with the skate due to the damage from routine use. Either way, I'd reach out to CCM directly and see what they say.

This is more or less what I said. 

CCM is willing to honor the warranty if that's the route I choose. 

The store has said they'll refund me store credit for the skates to pick something else if I want (this option was not initially offered to me when I first posted). So, that's what I'll be doing.

I liked the CCMs, but unfortunately first impressions are first impressions and I don't want to be stuck with the same issue out of warranty. 

Edited by pgeorgan

27 minutes ago, pgeorgan said:

This is more or less what I said. 

CCM is willing to honor the warranty if that's the route I choose. 

The store has said they'll refund me store credit for the skates to pick something else if I want. So that's what I'll be doing. I liked the CCM but unfortunately first impressions are first impressions and I don't want to be stuck with the same issue out of warranty. 

Don't trust what the store is telling you.  Store is either lying or won't advocate for you.  Contact CCM yourself and explain that your are unhappy with the skates and the store won't process the return under the 90 day guarantee.  It's supposed to be no questions asked, but the reason you're unsatisfied is the lack of durability.  If you push the right buttons, you'll get your money back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jbear said:

That's fair. 

I am annoyed, however, that the "90-day guarantee" really isn't a guarantee and really isn't risk-free like they'd have you believe. CCM need to add some fine print because I'd have given it more thought knowing that if they broke within that period I'd be stuck with that model (assuming a replacement).  

9 minutes ago, boo10 said:

Don't trust what the store is telling you.  Store is either lying or won't advocate for you.  Contact CCM yourself and explain that your are unhappy with the skates and the store won't process the return under the 90 day guarantee.  It's supposed to be no questions asked, but the reason you're unsatisfied is the lack of durability.  If you push the right buttons, you'll get your money back.

I kind of thought that in the back of my head, but at the end of the day the store is giving me credit for my original purchase so I just went ahead an ordered some Machs after trying them on in store. I'm happy to give them my business and hopefully build some loyalty up. 

If a CCM rep comes on here and reads this, they're more than welcome to PM me and they can deal with the seller directly if it upsets them, but at this point I'm not getting involved. Call it a byproduct of having the policy in the first place. If CCM is delegating execution of the guarantee to it's sellers, they shouldn't be surprised if some are a little self-serving at their expense.

Edited by pgeorgan
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, pgeorgan said:

I kind of thought that in the back of my head, but at the end of the day the store is giving me credit for my original purchase so I just went ahead an ordered some Machs after trying them on in store. I'm happy to give them my business and hopefully build some loyalty up. 

If a CCM rep comes on here and reads this, they're more than welcome to PM me and they can deal with the seller directly if it upsets them, but at this point I'm not getting involved. Call it a byproduct of having the policy in the first place. If CCM is delegating execution of the guarantee to it's sellers, they shouldn't be surprised if some are a little self-serving at their expense.

The store has some skin in the game. If you get your money back you can take your business to another shop. Giving you a store credit seems like a nice gesture, and it is, but it also assures them the sale. And it's not really true to the nature of the 90 day satisfaction guarantee.

Anyway, good to hear you got it sorted out.

16 hours ago, pgeorgan said:

Honestly, by everything you have said so far, it sounds like the store is circumventing the "90 Day Guarantee, no questions asked warranty" that's offered by CCM just to keep the sale like @stick9 said.   If you are happy with what the store is offering you, that's ok too, but I think that if CCM got involved directly, you'd be able to get your money back and go elsewhere if you chose to.

Edited by noupf

1 hour ago, stick9 said:

The store has some skin in the game. If you get your money back you can take your business to another shop. Giving you a store credit seems like a nice gesture, and it is, but it also assures them the sale. And it's not really true to the nature of the 90 day satisfaction guarantee.

Anyway, good to hear you got it sorted out.

That's fine. If I find that out later on to be the case, and if I don't like the Machs, I'll use that as an excuse to send the used skates back. 

As far as the 90-day guarantee, that's how it's being represented to me. Unless anyone else has sent a broken pair back under said guarantee, I'm afraid we don't have any other data points. 

Edited by pgeorgan

5 minutes ago, noupf said:

Honestly, by everything you have said so far, it sounds like the store is circumventing the "90 Day Guarantee, no questions asked warranty" that's offered by CCM just to keep the sale like @stick9 said.   If you are happy with what the store is offering you, that's ok too, but I think that if CCM got involved directly, you'd be able to get your money back and go elsewhere if you chose to.

Yes, the only thing that would change would I could immediately go to my LHS and get the one pair of Machs they have. However, it will take likely as long to get a hold of CCM to weigh in on the guarantee as it would to just take the other store up on their offer of a "refund" for the CCM's. 

Frankly, if they want to stick their neck out here and "deny" the 90-day guarantee, then that's on them if things go south with my Bauer replacements because I will then I will remind them why I got them in the first place (if that makes sense).

Edited by pgeorgan