Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Jbear

Trying 100k's Next Week

Recommended Posts

Pretty excited as I really like the flex profile of this line, but nothing fits my foot like AS3 Pros. 

My basic history is that I have two replacement hips as of 6/2018. I skate 4-6x week playing and coaching, so I rotate skates. Currently AS3 Pros and 2xPros (fit2).  I started with AS1, added 2xPros (before there was a fit choice), added 80k's. Sold the 2xPros and 80ks when I tried the AS3 Pro...that was perfect. I ended up missing being able to rotate so...2xPros again. Anyway...the 80k's were nice but just didn't fit like the Tacks.. comfortable but the performance was not there in comparison. Fast forward...100k...regular fit...hopefully that will be perfect. 

It's so much fun trying gear! I played D3 in the late 70's early 80's.  Used the same equipment from about 15 until I was 25 or so.  This level of variety didn't exist and if it did...I wouldn't have been able to afford it anyway 🤣This era is like hockey Disneyland! Of course...pro sports has gone to shite...that's a whole different discussion 😑.

I'll let you know hey these new ones slide...if you are interested. 

Edited by Jbear
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just arrived today! 

So...first thoughts. 

1. Fit is right on.  Fits exactly like my AS3 Pros and AS1s.  That was what I was hoping. I will add one thing...I can't remember how the Tacks felt before baking.  When I put the 100k on, the toe box feels just a tiny bit narrower.  I think when I bake it, that'll change. I know that toe boxes aren't that form-able compared to the rest of the skate, but it really only has to open up by a millimeter or two.  If not...it's still comfortable. 

2. Unlike both Tacks models, this skate is comfortable out of the box! My left maleolar bone was broken and it protrudes. I have to have my skates punched in two spots because of that. I couldn't skate in my Tacks, 2xPros, or 80ks unpunched.  I had these 100ks on for about an hour tonight, just in the house. I could skate in them if I had to. Very snug (no slop) and very comfortable.  I do "pro size" meaning I wear an 11 running shoe/ hiking boot and a 7.5 skate (D Tacks, "Fit 2" 2xPros, and "regular" Ribcor).

I should be able to take them for a slide either tomorrow or Thursday at practice. I have a game on Friday, but...might be a bit soon for these. Anyway...I'll move provide more as I know more. 

So far...happy happy🥅🏒🇨🇦👍😎 Stay tuned. 

Edited by Jbear

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple things to add...put the regular thickness D30 tounges in from my AS3 Pros...perfect. They aren't perfect in the Tacks...they are just a bit narrower than the stock Tacks tongue and that makes them slide the side when I skate. I haven't been using them...I will now.

Also...I had Adrenaline Powerfoot inserts in the 80ks and they were still roomy.  No room for these in the 100ks.

Skating tonight...I'll let you know how it goes. I'll bake them later. 

Edited by Jbear

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Jbear said:

 

Also...I had Adrenaline Powerfoot inserts in the 80ks and they were still roomy.  No room for these in the 100ks.

 

I think the 100ks have the new asymmetrical toe box which is why you probably feel less volume compared to the 80ks or the tacks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well...I  skated practice tonight and I like them a lot!  They feel like Tacks with more forward flexion. That's what I wanted.

I believe I will have to bake them and maybe punch.  I felt great for about 45 minutes...then the ankle bone protrusion began to get irritated.  It wasn't terrible but in a game I think it would have gotten worse. So...bake first...then see about punching. 

As far as skating style and this particular skate...Personally, I think the marketing for all of these lines from Bauer and CCM is pretty much BS.  I can skate any style in any skate if it fits and feels right.  I can skate with power and agility with any of the skates I've mentioned.  My advice for anyone looking is...close your eyes...try them on...get the skate that fits and feels best...then play your game. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2021 at 9:16 PM, Jbear said:

Well...I  skated practice tonight and I like them a lot!  They feel like Tacks with more forward flexion. That's what I wanted.

I believe I will have to bake them and maybe punch.  I felt great for about 45 minutes...then the ankle bone protrusion began to get irritated.  It wasn't terrible but in a game I think it would have gotten worse. So...bake first...then see about punching. 

As far as skating style and this particular skate...Personally, I think the marketing for all of these lines from Bauer and CCM is pretty much BS.  I can skate any style in any skate if it fits and feels right.  I can skate with power and agility with any of the skates I've mentioned.  My advice for anyone looking is...close your eyes...try them on...get the skate that fits and feels best...then play your game. 

The skate post bake feels completely different. I would strongly recommend a good bake.

Yeah, the skating style thing is total BS. I'm not all about agility, but I like the Ribcor's because the softer boot works for me. My experience with the 100k's has been very positive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can Someone comment on what the Proper process for a “good bake” is like?! Not at home, at the store. Looking to confirm timing, oven pre-heating and whether baking 1 at a time is still the way to go?!!

thanks in advance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SolarWind said:

Can Someone comment on what the Proper process for a “good bake” is like?! Not at home, at the store. Looking to confirm timing, oven pre-heating and whether baking 1 at a time is still the way to go?!!

thanks in advance!

Proper process for a top of  the line skate would be from my experience:

1) Pre-heat the oven and wait for it to come up to temperature

2) Follow the manufacturers' instructions regarding baking times

3) Bake 1 skate, tie snug, then bake the 2nd skate and tie

4) Have the customer sit for 10 minutes with legs bent at 90 degrees

This will add close to additional 15 minutes to the overall baking process, but worth it IMO.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My new customs arrived yesterday. Other than CCM making them both 7.25 when they should have been 7.25L and 7.5R they turned out very nice. 

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, PBH said:

My new customs arrived yesterday. Other than CCM making them both 7.25 when they should have been 7.25L and 7.5R they turned out very nice. 

 

 

@PBH I wish you were 7.5L and 7.75R so I could take all your castoffs LOL.  Being a total skate nerd, I'm very jealous!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, stick9 said:

@PBH what made you go custom? It looked like the other pair you had fit pretty well.

Employee pricing is so cheap I figured, may as well..? Lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, boo10 said:

@PBH I wish you were 7.5L and 7.75R so I could take all your castoffs LOL.  Being a total skate nerd, I'm very jealous!

We can just bind your feet and you'll be good to go. Lol 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, PBH said:

Employee pricing is so cheap I figured, may as well..? Lol 

Do you need any employees in the GTA, who's sole responsibility is to test skates? 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Baked them tonight. I went per the CCM instructions (just like you see posted).  Not sure how I like that compared to 185 for 5 minutes. I baked my own 80k's, 2xPros, and AS3 Pros successfully using 185F for 5 minutes. This process of 220F for 2 minutes didn't seem to result in the skate being as moldable. I have a gas oven; it's high quality and very accurate so I'm sure of the temps.  Anyway...I'll see how they set and do it again if necessary. Perhaps these foams and composites form with lower heating times. They were already comfortable so just really a fine-tune. It'll be interesting to see if I still have to punch.  I put two cloth wads under a silicone sleeve inside my sock.  Hopefully they punched the boot enough to do the job. If not...it's easy enough. 

Anyway...slide 'em again on Sunday. I'll post an update.

Edited by Jbear

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re-baked today...my old way...185 for 4-5 minutes. Waaaaaay better molding to my feet! Punched my left skate and now they feel perfect. I'll see how they move tomorrow. I'm planning on using them for Tuesday's practice. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/17/2021 at 9:37 AM, PBH said:

My new customs arrived yesterday. Other than CCM making them both 7.25 when they should have been 7.25L and 7.5R they turned out very nice. 

of course you beat me, I'm still waiting for mine.
Like how the green is gone and it says total custom, I requested green to be removed as well, we'll see if it worked and I really hope my size wasn't messed up.

Did you manage to keep the retail tongue?! How?! I asked for it as well but was told that the only option is one of the 3 usual tongues 😞

Re baking instructions - seems very similar to what the proper bauer baking instructions were. Assuming the standard skate oven goes to 220.

Edited by SolarWind

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/18/2021 at 11:50 PM, SolarWind said:

of course you beat me, I'm still waiting for mine.
Like how the green is gone and it says total custom, I requested green to be removed as well, we'll see if it worked and I really hope my size wasn't messed up.

Did you manage to keep the retail tongue?! How?! I asked for it as well but was told that the only option is one of the 3 usual tongues 😞

Re baking instructions - seems very similar to what the proper bauer baking instructions were. Assuming the standard skate oven goes to 220.

I have a friend who is a pro rep for CCM and he got me the retail tongue. I like it more than the custom options. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These are now baked, punched, and perfect. 100% dig these things. I skated for about three hours on Sunday. Probably two in these, 45 minutes in the AS3 Pro, and 20-30 in the 2xPros. 

100k felt very nice and performed exceptionally. I'll reiterate...you definitely can play any style in any skate. I felt no lack of power in the 100ks or 2xPros and no loss of agility in the AS3 PROs.  They just feel different and I like that. McDavid was wearing Jetspeeds (not sure about now)...would anyone say he's not a powerful or agile skater.  How about Barzal...AS3 Pros...I don't think there's a more agile skater in the world than Barzy.  Just bugs me that some players may never find their perfect ride cuz they just read the marketing. As a coach, I get asked all the time about "which skate should I get..."  So many players come back and say thank you..."I would never have even tried those on and they felt the best of all of them."  Same with sticks...if the balance and shaft feel right...I can play my game.  If not...kickpoint will mean nothing to me. 

Ok...end mini-rant.  100K...can't wait to get 'em in da game...Friday night 🥅🇨🇦🏒👍😎

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/20/2021 at 1:44 AM, PBH said:

I have a friend who is a pro rep for CCM and he got me the retail tongue. I like it more than the custom options. 

 

Curious if you went with extra ankle padding on 100k and if you did what it ended up looking like?

I’m still trying to visualize it, is it like a thicker comfort edge?

I did ask for it on my custom order but can’t see anything different from the retail model up top hence the question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Jbear said:

 I'll reiterate...you definitely can play any style in any skate. I felt no lack of power in the 100ks or 2xPros and no loss of agility in the AS3 PROs.  They just feel different and I like that. McDavid was wearing Jetspeeds (not sure about now)...would anyone say he's not a powerful or agile skater.  How about Barzal...AS3 Pros...I don't think there's a more agile skater in the world than Barzy.  Just bugs me that some players may never find their perfect ride cuz they just read the marketing. 

While in general I agree with the sentiment  that a skate doesn’t make a player I’d like to point out the obvious: custom made pro skates aren’t the same as retail so Mcdavid’s jet speeds aren’t FT4s. 
plus each pro player makes unique adjustments like skipping 2nd top or the top eyelet, while others lace all the way up but loosely etc

Ovi on the other hand cranks it all the way up in the stiffest skate ever and seems to be doing ok with it.

so a more reasonable generalization would be: to each his own.

Even setting the skate fit aside, the flex profile and stiffness level can suit each player’s unique style differently. But marketing surely can be very misleading offering a panacea to all issues. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very true.  I will say having spent a lot of time around pro players...they're all over the map.  Many customize and...a lot actually do use out-of-the box skates.  

In any case...yes...to each his or her own for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SolarWind said:

Curious if you went with extra ankle padding on 100k and if you did what it ended up looking like?

I’m still trying to visualize it, is it like a thicker comfort edge?

I did ask for it on my custom order but can’t see anything different from the retail model up top hence the question.

I went with the standard donut foams. I didnt see a need to go with anything thicker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...