Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
pucks_putts

Anyone try the Powerfly holders yet?

On 12/6/2023 at 9:57 PM, gtoddh said:

I just ordered some Vapor X5 Pros and need to order steel.  I've been using Bladetech in my old skates with the Lightspeed holder and started looking at Bladetech.  Apparently they now have one generic steel shape (different finishes available) that they claim "fits all skates with quick release holders."  I wonder if they have the "hyperbolic geometry" or if they somehow get around needing that to fit in the PowerFly holder?  Anyone have experience yet with PowerFly holders and Bladetech steel?

Yes Bladetech fit the powerfly holder very well, but you do need to pull the trigger to insert the steel into the holder. Byonic is the same. I’ve fit the new Bladetech steel into every size holder. No issues at all and it is a high quality steel.  That is what I skate with , and my kids. 

• Like 1

On 6/29/2023 at 10:08 PM, VegasHockey said:

I have seen some players use a dremel to widen the parabolic channel in the middle of the holder, so they could use their old steel. 

I love this! Bauer clearly put that block in the channel to prevent people from using their old steel. There is no need for a bevel on the blades, there is no bevel on CCM Step steel. It's nice to see people found a workaround so all their old steel won't go to waste.

• Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, Radien55 said:

I love this! Bauer clearly put that block in the channel to prevent people from using their old steel. There is no need for a bevel on the blades, there is no bevel on CCM Step steel. It's nice to see people found a workaround so all their old steel won't go to waste.

Have you considered, maybe the block was put there to further stiffen the holder or that maybe it's there as a fix for some underlying issue that crept up in development. Or maybe the center beam wasn't strong enough without the block. I can't wait to hear all the whining about how Bauer won't replace failed holders due to user mods.

If you have a bunch of Edge steel, just have Edge holders installed. It really is that easy.

Edited by stick9

5 hours ago, stick9 said:

Have you considered, maybe the block was put there to further stiffen the holder or that maybe it's there as a fix for some underlying issue that crept up in development. Or maybe the center beam wasn't strong enough without the block. I can't wait to hear all the whining about how Bauer won't replace failed holders due to user mods.

If you have a bunch of Edge steel, just have Edge holders installed. It really is that easy.

I would love to see a scientific test proving that, but I doubt that little amount of material makes or breaks the holder.

• Like 1

Bauer keeps experimenting with weight reduction on the upper half of the steel, from perforated steel for Custom+ and LS/2, to combo runners Fusion and Carbonlite. My first thought was this was just a new way to try and reduce runner weight while also making it harder to manufacture aftermarket steel.

On 12/19/2023 at 6:20 AM, Radien55 said:

Supposedly the parabolic design is to help the steel lock in place, preventing it from popping out during impact. However, the changes were to also introduce a new patent as well, since the old patent had expired. 

On 12/20/2023 at 5:31 AM, flip12 said:

Bauer keeps experimenting with weight reduction on the upper half of the steel, from perforated steel for Custom+ and LS/2, to combo runners Fusion and Carbonlite. My first thought was this was just a new way to try and reduce runner weight while also making it harder to manufacture aftermarket steel.

This was not for weight reduction. 

8 hours ago, VegasHockey said:

Supposedly the parabolic design is to help the steel lock in place, preventing it from popping out during impact. However, the changes were to also introduce a new patent as well, since the old patent had expired. 

This was not for weight reduction. 

How much do the new holders weigh compared to the old ones?

4 hours ago, VegasHockey said:

The new holders are slightly heavier than the previous generation. 

Sorry, I meant the new runners, not holders.

Is the new Bladetech runner the Multi-Fit (Flex Fit) model? 

On 12/12/2023 at 5:43 AM, Paluce said:

Yes Bladetech fit the powerfly holder very well, but you do need to pull the trigger to insert the steel into the holder. Byonic is the same. I’ve fit the new Bladetech steel into every size holder. No issues at all and it is a high quality steel.  That is what I skate with , and my kids. 

Edited by 215BroadStBullies610

11 hours ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

Is the new Bladetech runner the Multi-Fit (Flex Fit) model? 

Yes,  it’s called flex-fit for the powerfly holder. They have a CCM specific blade if you want CCM. 

The flex fit blade fits tighter into the Bauer holders now. (Both Edge and Powerfly). I really like them a lot. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Paluce said:

Yes,  it’s called flex-fit for the powerfly holder. They have a CCM specific blade if you want CCM. 

The flex fit blade fits tighter into the Bauer holders now. (Both Edge and Powerfly). I really like them a lot. 

That's really good to know. I'll have to make a purchase for a set or two shortly. Thanks.