Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
marka

How big a PITA is flying with gear?

Howdy,

So, how big of a PITA is flying with hockey gear?

Considering flying to Boston for SummerJam vs. driving.  Driving is 10 hours / 600 miles one way.  Generally speaking, I'm fine with driving places.  I spent a long time with motorsports as a hobby, so I'm used to windshield time.  But still, flying should be a shorter total time plus I can read a book / watch a movie... 🙂

I looked at JetBlue and Delta baggage policies as they're coming up with non-stops between Pittsburgh and Boston.  I'm not entirely sure I understand them.  Sounds like sticks + gear bag count as one item, but that the overweight fees still apply.  I haven't weighed my stuff, but I'd imagine its over 50 lbs?  Particularly if I don't have a carry on item allowance with the ticket and need to shove my clothes for the weekend in the bag too.  It also looks like there's no damage protection unless everything is in a hardsided case, which could be an expensive proposition.  Just in fees alone, if I'm reading it right the normal checked bag fee would be ~$60, an oversized fee would be $150, etc.

So, who's done this / how much does it suck / what do I need to know?

Mark

I’ve flown to several of the SJ events. Never had an issue with bag weights, but if your gear is over 50lbs you probably need to invest in some new stuff. 
typically when I fly especially for a laid back event such as SJ, I pack my cheaper/backup gear when possible, you can also save some weight by not packing jerseys and socks, and as far as clothing, just pack some shorts and shirts and lighter things if you’re going to put it in your equipment bag, it is summer!

I haven’t had any issues with equipment getting damaged or anything like that. One additional word of advice, print out the policy, and even though they have usually said to tape together your sticks, I’ve always just brought mine in a stick bag and never had them give me an issue 

Echoing what Stewie said.  I've flown out of Boston many times with gear and have never had an issue with either Delta or JetBlue.  In Boston you normally have to bring your gear to the oversized station after checking in.

Yeah, cities where hockey is more prevalent I haven’t had any issues. I did fly into Orlando with my gear one time, and on the way back, the spirit agent seemed clueless as to the gear policy but I was able to provide my printout of the policy and it ended up being ok 

I've flown to TONS of tourneys with gear. if Southwest is possible, that's your best bet. they allow 2 checked bags per person. my gear is usually around 35 pounds and that includes an extra pair of gloves so unless you're a goalie, you should be well under the 50 pound limit. check your hockey bag and carry on your clothes in a backpack or small suitcase. 

Pittsburgh and Boston shouldn't be a problem but print out the baggage policy just in case you get an inexperienced Customer Service Rep.

of all the times I've traveled with hockey gear, only one time did my bag get damaged and it was strictly the bag ripping and the airline replaced my bag, at FULL retail value. 

When I was bringing my giant goalie GRIT tower it would only hit around 50lbs on the way home when everything was still wet (and MOST times they dont charge me for oversize, either). So you should be fine.

I agree with printing out their policy. Most of them understand but its always good to be able to show them. Sometimes they're confused when you say "I have two checked items, but I need three bag tags" if they don't know the policy.

Traveling with player gear overall should be pretty painless. 

A little late but... I've gone as far as to pack all my clothes and gear in my hockey bag and stayed below the 50lb limit, 47 IIRC. I put my clothes in air tight travel bags to keep them from smelling like hockey gear.

The most important bit. Your bag and sticks are considered one item. Don't let them charge you extra for the sticks. It's outlined in their checked bag policy under sports equipment.

• Like 1