Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Beflar

Any thoughts on players cutting some bars out from their face cage for better vision?

I've noticed some guys cutting out some bars on their face cages.  I've noticed some guys will go after the vertical bars, some will go after the horizontal.

I wanted to hear from guys that have tried it and other people's thoughts about it as well.  Thought's on safety vs improved vision etc.  Or is there a product that does it all the right way?

Edited by Beflar

Personally I think it's pointless.  I've played with a cage almost all my life, once you play and stop focusing on the bars they just disappear if the cage fits properly (I've had some that didn't sit quite right and the horizontal bars seemed to be right in front of my eyes).  I highly doubt the guys who cut a few bars out are getting any real benefit (maybe actually less b/c now there's a big gap and might mess more with your eyes?).  I tried a full bubble a few games and didn't see any real benefit vision wise (just hotter and it was slightly too small for my face so that sucked), I also used half and half shields when I was a kid (think Team Iceland in the Mighty Ducks, the Itech combo) and they just seemed like more work (cleaning/de-fog spray, being careful not to scratch it, etc).  I also wore a half shield for a bit but the benefits weren't worth the risk of getting sticks/pucks to the face imho.

• Thanks 1

Nothing screams hardo like a hacked up cage. Sorry. Any perceived benefit will be trumped by the fact that it's beer league. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1