Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
iceman8310

Reebok RBK 9k powered by Jofa elbow pad replacement recommendation

Can anyone recommend a Reebok RBK 9k powered by Jofa elbow pad replacement recommendation ?  I like how the pads feel and the fit.  I don't want to change from this pad but the velcro and straps are worn out.

RBK 9K Elbow Pads (2007)- Senior

I've seen a few NOS pairs pop up on Sideline. Maybe you can snag a pair there. The newer-ish Tacks stuff should be based on those or whatever those came from.

Tacks are the current relative to that style still using the JDP cap, the strapping and some minor details change year after year but the guts are still the same.  You can sometimes find older generation Tacks online for a good deal, also even 2nd/3rd tier from the top would be equivalent since the top models all got super beefy compared to those older styles.  If they're still in good shape overall maybe try what Monty mentioned and have the straps replaced... I've used donor pads for their straps in the past, or find a shoe repair place or maybe even a tailor/dry cleaner that may be able to sew new straps on for you.

Any reason you don't simply want to replace the straps? I've done this on shoulder/elbow pads in the past when they're in great condition overall and it's only the elastic that's worn out.

If you want new, agree with others about checking out the Tacks line

23 hours ago, Monty22 said:

Replace the straps/velcro?

18 hours ago, Westside said:

Any reason you don't simply want to replace the straps? I've done this on shoulder/elbow pads in the past when they're in great condition overall and it's only the elastic that's worn out.

If you want new, agree with others about checking out the Tacks line

The straps are stretched out and worn out.  to replace and get the proper length what would be the best plan of action?  

10 minutes ago, iceman8310 said:

The straps are stretched out and worn out.  to replace and get the proper length what would be the best plan of action?  

I've had good luck using shin pad strap sets. Use JR or SR depending on your width preference.  Pics are of a bicep strap swap I did last month for reference. 

c1cbafe79dd81976_original.png

f1fa763d38e82c06_original.png

• Like 2

I've used shin pad straps just like Monty that I had lying around for repairs in the past, also I have a habit of hoarding all old straps that are in good shape before getting rid of equipment lol.  But if you're not handy you can always try a tailor or shore repair place, they'd have some elastic or nylon and can attach new velcro.  

Here are two examples of my amazing sewing skills (insert sarcastic voice there)... pair of U+ CL elbow pads I love that had this web sort of strap with a "non slip" coating that wore off and started to disintegrate, I cut that out and added two straps, one was a shinpan strap (which I later shortened even more), and the larger was a part from an old neoprene knee brace.

53410766803_087b869976_c.jpgUntitled by Jon Schusteritsch, on Flickr

and this was a shoulder pad straps that was way overstretched, I cut it to just a few inches and attached part of a strap I took from some arm pads we removed from my son's lacrosse gear:

53410766813_ba324c7a9f_c.jpgUntitled by Jon Schusteritsch, on Flickr

I will use anything I can get my hands on that will do the job lol

• Like 1

Definitely address the straps if the elbows are otherwise still going strong. I have a friend who replaced his saggy-strap Jofas with CCM Tacks and he was very disappointed in the protection.

I bought this material in two sizes for shoulder pad strap replacement. It’s the exact same looking/feeling material CCM used for the CLs. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01ABTQ80A?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

To make it look more original, I used a seam ripper to take off the original end pieces and then sewed them back onto the straps. Here’ an example of the front and back of a pair of CL shoulder straps that go along your ribs 

2v2eCMA8zx1YqB.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, iceman8310 said:

can anyone recommend where I can send to be worked on?

If you're still in MA, TSR in Salam NH is worth a try.

On 12/21/2023 at 3:25 PM, iceman8310 said:

where should i send to get repaired?

Howdy,

I really liked the Reebok 9k elbows I used to have.

But if I was going to have to pay someone to repair them, I would 100% go to modern Tacks.  If for no other reason, just because of the odor resistant materials.

Mark