Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
CHIP39

Knee pain and hockey

As we age anything you guys are doing for knee pain?  Of all the adult league sports hockey has been the easiest but man the knees are feeling like 10 years older every week.  I've been using a brace and taking advil which is what my ortho told me to do but I feel like there has to be something better.

Edited by CHIP39
Wrong Forum

I still work out.  Advil will help with pain but doesn’t prevent the 

I do backwards and forwards sled dragging, single leg movements like step ups, rear elevated split squats, curtsy squats, some other single leg squat variations.  Lots of side planks, banded side walks as well.

Howdy,

Brace and ibuprofen is what I do as well.

A doctor buddy that I played with for a while basically told me that there's nothing that's going to 'bring back' my knee.  His advice was to do a brace / ibuprofen and when it became something I couldn't deal with anymore that I should come see him for a replacement.

In my case, this is coming from an old meniscus tear though, so maybe your situation is different.

Mark

On 3/22/2024 at 12:57 PM, CHIP39 said:

As we age anything you guys are doing for knee pain?  Of all the adult league sports hockey has been the easiest but man the knees are feeling like 10 years older every week.  I've been using a brace and taking advil which is what my ortho told me to do but I feel like there has to be something better.

Depends on what the cause of the pain is.  If just aging and arthritis, icing and contrast therapy (ice and heat) help with pain and inflammation along with naproxen or ibuprofen.  Other factors are age and what your end game is.

7 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Brace and ibuprofen is what I do as well.

A doctor buddy that I played with for a while basically told me that there's nothing that's going to 'bring back' my knee.  His advice was to do a brace / ibuprofen and when it became something I couldn't deal with anymore that I should come see him for a replacement.

In my case, this is coming from an old meniscus tear though, so maybe your situation is different.

Mark

Same situation here.  First knee injury last summer resulting in significant root tears of the meniscus both medially and laterally.  MRI also showed a significant bone bruise and arthritis.  Cortisone injection helped within the first few months and got me back on the ice.  Now scheduled for a series of gel injections, but have been told I'm looking at needing a total knee replacement in the not so distant future.

I do a "medium" brace on my left knee (one of the ones with the springs on either side of the brace that support and create the "hinge").  I dislocated that knee a few years back and probably now have some scar tissue and arthritis there.  Fits ok under my shin guard.  A bit bulkier than I'd like, but seems to work a bit better than a standard neoprene only sleeve brace.  I was getting pain and instability without the brace, but since starting to use the brace have been much better. 

That copper shit is a complete gimmick, which is why they had to change their whole ad campaign from claiming that copper had some kind of therapeutic effect to promoting the copper as something that supposedly extends their usable lives and reduces odor, after they were sued by the FTC for false advertising and had to pay a settlement for it. 

https://www.ftc.gov/system/files/documents/cases/151201tommiecoppercmpt.pdf

Braces with semi-rigid or rigid hinged supports running down the sides can provide a little protection against injuries to the lateral and medial ligaments, but it's almost impossible to externally support either of the internal cruciate ligaments, because you can't counter rotational forces on knees with external bracing, except (maybe) by using those very expensive, super-heavy-duty custom-made "Lenox Hill"-style braces, first introduced about 50 years ago. Even those hinged rigid lateral/medial supports that can provide some protection for the MCL and LCL against lateral forces have significant tradeoffs, which is why they scrapped them in the NFL after initially providing them to almost all linemen for a few seasons in the late 80s or early 90s. They found out that they changed the anatomical forces on knees in ways that actually increased ACL tears, as a result. There's no such thing as any brace that can do anything for arthritic pain, except through mechanism #2 below:

Simple compression sleeves (which I also wear on the ice and while training legs) do provide some relief (even for arthritic knees, like mine), by virtue of (1) temporarily raising the local tissue temperature and increasing blood flow, and (2) proprioception, in ways that reduce pain perception, indirectly, simply by stimulating distracting sensation in other nearby nerves. If you use them that way, it's best to put them on a little while before you get dressed, so your knees are nice and warm by then. I usually slide mine on before I make the drive to the rink.

Edited by YesLanges
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, YesLanges said:

That copper shit is a complete gimmick, which is why they had to change their whole ad campaign from claiming that copper had some kind of therapeutic effect to promoting the copper as something that supposedly extends their usable lives and reduces odor, after they were sued by the FTC for false advertising and had to pay a settlement for it. 

https://www.ftc.gov/system/files/documents/cases/151201tommiecoppercmpt.pdf

Braces with semi-rigid or rigid hinged supports running down the sides can provide a little protection against injuries to the lateral and medial ligaments, but it's almost impossible to externally support either of the internal cruciate ligaments, because you can't counter rotational forces on knees with external bracing, except (maybe) by using those very expensive, super-heavy-duty custom-made "Lenox Hill"-style braces, first introduced about 50 years ago. Even those hinged rigid lateral/medial supports that can provide some protection for the MCL and LCL against lateral forces have significant tradeoffs, which is why they scrapped them in the NFL after initially providing them to almost all linemen for a few seasons in the late 80s or early 90s. They found out that they changed the anatomical forces on knees in ways that actually increased ACL tears, as a result. There's no such thing as any brace that can do anything for arthritic pain, except through mechanism #2 below:

Simple compression sleeves (which I also wear on the ice and while training legs) do provide some relief (even for arthritic knees, like mine), by virtue of (1) temporarily raising the local tissue temperature and increasing blood flow, and (2) proprioception, in ways that reduce pain perception, indirectly, simply by stimulating distracting sensation in other nearby nerves. If you use them that way, it's best to put them on a little while before you get dressed, so your knees are nice and warm by then. I usually slide mine on before I make the drive to the rink.

^ This! Great advice. 

I'm kinda in the same boat. I have minor knee pain from age and past injuries, total ACL tear and reconstruction and several MCL and LCL sprains. I wore a Donjoy hard brace for about a year after my ACL surgery. My surgeon was pretty adamant about me not wearing forever so I listened. 

Now some 15 years later I don't wear anything on that knee. I routinely stretch and work out to keep my mobility intact. Ill take an Advil or an Ibuprofen about an hour before I skate. If my knee is banged up a little, which happens, I have a compression sleeve I can wear for extra support. Since there is nothing structurally wrong with my knee. I try to limit the use of braces or sleeves. I have found a few sleeves that interest me but I don't want to become reliant on them. This is the one I am most interested in. 

https://www.bauerfeind.com/b2c/Products/Knee-Braces/GenuTrain®-Knee-Brace/p/YPBF_BAK_GENUTR

3 hours ago, stick9 said:

That's a ton of money for a sleeve. Unless you specifically have issues known to be caused by loose tracking of your patella, you really don't need anything with that center donut to stabilize the patella. Otherwise, you really don't want anything that could alter or impinge on your normal patella tracking at all, because that can cause problems by itself. I just use McDavid 510s, which you can find on eBay or Amazon for as low as $20 or $30/pair.

McDavid 510.jpg

Edited by YesLanges