Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kobe

"Pro Filer" skate sharpening tool

www.pro-filer.com

I'm thinking about getting one of these and wanted some feedback from actual users. Does anyone have one of these or tried them? Is it any good? It'll come out to around $90 cdn after tax and shipping but it will buy itself back after 18 sharpenings at my LHS.

Hey Kobe what's your LHS? This might not be such a bad idea if 3 guys pitch in on one of these bad boys (assuming it works!).

Looks like a nice little thing to clean up your edges between sharpenings, but I can't see how it would replace a "real" sharpening on a wheel. Too much human error and inconsistancy with those little tools. JMO.

Looks like a nice little thing to clean up your edges between sharpenings, but I can't see how it would replace a "real" sharpening on a wheel. Too much human error and inconsistancy with those little tools. JMO.

However, don't assume that too much human error and inconsistency cannot be achieved on those BIG tools.

However, don't assume that too much human error and inconsistency cannot be achieved on those BIG tools.

I am with on that JR, but unless you can REALLY secure the skate to achieve a consistent "stroke" with one of those I can't see a quality finished product. I have visions of people sitting in the locker room 1/2 dresssed with their skates cinched between their knees shaking back and forth. :unsure:

there have been multiple attempts at this kind of tool... i have seen them when i was playing bantams and midgets, tried them, and wasn't impressed. they may clean up the skate a bit, but they do not give a true shapening.

compare the speed of your hand vs. the speed of a sharpeing wheel. it will not be close to a finished result. i would recommend the miracle stone, or even a sweet stick for a quick fix on the bench.

"i would recommend the miracle stone, or even a sweet stick for a quick fix on the bench."

With you on that. I have used a Sweet Stick (for 2 years) with GREAT results for touch ups.

Man, those are some crazy hollows they offer for the hockey sharpener: 3/8 and 5/16?

Man, I thought my skates were deep on 5/8 with all the cold and fast ice I get to play on.

I would positively plow on those hollows

Sure.

WHen you roll an edge, what color is your edge? It's a lighter grey than the blade. That's how you can tell. When you swipe the Sweet-Stick, that is what happens.

The most important aspect of sharpened skates is an square edge.

Take a look at this -

http://www.sweet-stick.com/images/sweet-2.gif

They even say they roll your edges in. That, my friend, is NOT square.

Also, it gives you the illusion that it is sharper - it changes the depth of your hollow. That's why it feels sharper.

I suggest you run it sideways on the blade, or use a miraclestone.

thats why i put the miraclestone before the sweet stick on my post.

and i agree with your comments on the sweet stick. i will say from working withe the midget team last year, that it a sweet stick did save us a few times till i could get the skate off the player and to the sharpener...

only a quick fix for the moment, not a savior of a sharpening.

thats why i put the miraclestone before the sweet stick on my post.

and i agree with your comments on the sweet stick. i will say from working withe the midget team last year, that it a sweet stick did save us a few times till i could get the skate off the player and to the sharpener...

only a quick fix for the moment, not a savior of a sharpening.

I can tell when someone brings in skates and has used a sweet stick. It always takes forever to fix the edges.

Most hand tools are woefully inadequate, and at best may refresh the sharpness a bit. They cannot create hollows or square edges.

The Sweet-Stick works well as a touch up IF, and only IF, one very light pass is used. Any more than that and you will ruin what is left of your edges. I've sold a few hundred of them and the customer feedback is great. Of course I drill into their heads when they buy them not to do more than 1 light pass. That's where all the problems are, too heavy and too many passes.

Yea but... Problem is, a honing stone in the hands of a rookie can make things worse too. The SS is simple, one light pass and done.

Well with this tool you're sharpening the inside and outside of the edges as opposed to just the outside edges with stones. I'm thinking that i'll use this tool for a couple of passes after each skate to keep the skate edges sharp. It's not exactly a full out sharpening that you get at a hockey shop but it should keep your edges sharp if you use it regularly. The goalie on my team uses the goalie skate one and he seems to like it a lot. Goalies don't skate as much as players though so I don't know if his favorable opinion is comparable for skaters.

Well with this tool you're sharpening the inside and outside of the edges as opposed to just the outside edges with stones. I'm thinking that i'll use this tool for a couple of passes after each skate to keep the skate edges sharp. It's not exactly a full out sharpening that you get at a hockey shop but it should keep your edges sharp if you use it regularly. The goalie on my team uses the goalie skate one and he seems to like it a lot. Goalies don't skate as much as players though so I don't know if his favorable opinion is comparable for skaters.

With a stone you can't really bitch up your edges, unless you try to sharpen the bottom of your skate blades. With a profiler you can do serious damage.

With the way the tool is supposed to be used, can you screw up your blades by just running it through? It seems like it clamps on to about half of your blade (height-wise) so it doesn't seem like I could sharpen it unevenly.