Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IPv6Freely

Toronto Maple Leafs 2013-2014

It's hard to tell with him, because he's played on mostly bad teams in his career. Toronto's GM said his plus-minus is trending in the right direction, but what that's really saying is Toronto's success is trending in the right direction.

So if this year is truly indicative of Phaneuf's increased skill and maturity, I don't think it's that far out of whack. His salary decreases over the length of the agreement; coupled with likely salary cap increases, he might become overpaid at 35, but probably not greatly so.

I'm not a huge Phaneuf fan, but isn't 7M a season about right when compared to other defencemen posting similar numbers?

He's currently tied for 42nd in points. I could be wrong, but I don't believe that the other forty-something guys aren't making $7M per year.

He's currently tied for 42nd in points. I could be wrong, but I don't believe that the other forty-something guys aren't making $7M per year.

I don't think half a season is what Nonis is basing the contract extension on.

I don't think half a season is what Nonis is basing the contract extension on.

If he's giving him $7M/$49M, I don't think he's basing it on past performance either.

I think that's about the perfect deal for Dion. Maybe could have taken a couple years off the contract, but it wouldn't be good to lose a player like him because the team got greedy. He's the number one defenceman on the team, plays lots of minutes, and I think he's finally starting to improve on the blueline, so I don't really have a problem with it. He could have easily got the same contract on another team had tested the UFA market so I think it was a good pick up by the Leafs.

Nonis seemed quite sure that he'd get 7 (or 8) years if he went UFA. Dreger figured he'd get MORE than $7M.

There is always someone willing to be really stupid when it comes to UFA deals. Everyone agrees that Bickell would have likely gotten at least as much money as a UFA as he did from Chicago and it's not like he has done much to justify it this season.

I think Lupul should be captain of this team, personally. I'd say clarkson if he had contributed anything (he's my kind of captain).

I like Carlyle but he's clearly lost the room. Not as bad as it was with Wilson, but still pretty bad.

No idea who would replace him. Is it too late to get Eakins back? Hehe

This is beyond ridiculous though. I am surprised however, that they managed to hang on to that last playoff spot this long.

5 regulation wins since the end of October, zero of them on the road.

They painted themselves into a nice corner with the Phaneuf extension.

"Here's $7 million per for the next seven years. We really like what you've given us and will provide in the future. Oh, and by the way, could we get the C back?"

ralph krueger would be a good coach i think. They should of kept him in Edmonton personally. Their D is kiling them. Giving up around 40 shots a game. Too late to get burke back?

ralph krueger would be a good coach i think. They should of kept him in Edmonton personally. Their D is kiling them. Giving up around 40 shots a game. Too late to get burke back?

Carlyle is supposed to be good at coaching defense. Ironic, isn't it?

Randy Cunneyworth might be good in Toronto. He's been a solid coach at every level/place he's coached, other than the Language thing that forced him out in Montreal. He's just re-jopined the Rochester Americans in an advisory role, similar to what Craig Patrick has with the Sabres.

Dion is better now yes, but why the hell should he get more than clarkson, lupul, or kessel??

Players have to sacrifice aswell....

Wow, I'm honestly shocked at the current streak. Six games for the first time since 2007, I think they said.

It was funny, they posted the roster from the last time they won in PHX. It had Sundin, Mogilny, Roberts, Belfour...

Phil is lighting it up. 14 points (6 goals, 8 assists) in 7 games, and now has one more goal than some guy named Crosby.

They seem like SUCH a better team without Clarkson playing, I don't know why. I'm not sure that even with his struggles that he's the reason for the lack of success, but it's still quite the coincidence.

The crazy part is that the team just behind them has won 7 straight! (columbus)

from The Hockey News

The last time the Leafs won six in a row Boston, Chicago, St. Louis, Washington and Pittsburgh were the worst five NHL teams.

btw...the Leafs missed the playoffs that year by 2 points.

from The Hockey News

btw...the Leafs missed the playoffs that year by 2 points.

Yea, that was the first year of "the streak", I believe.