Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chapel

Looking for comfortable skates ~$300 or less. (2014)

So, these pop up once in a while.

I've been skating on Bauer Supreme Power 1000s from 1998 since I bought them new.

HCNaBDN.jpg

They're OK, but the runners are getting wasted and my pro shop said it would be difficult to find new runners and if I did, they'd be nearly as expensive to replace than to just get better, more comfortable skates.

So, for Christmas, I'm going to put aside a few bucks to get the most comfortable skates I can afford.

My issue with my current skates is that they pinch my achilles and after a while, my feet feel like stone. Mostly in the heel.

I've always been a Bauer guy... but for no other reason than because they always fit me and were mostly affordable.

I always liked a softer boot so I could get more flick off the toe through the ankle.

Try on as many pairs as you can at the store. Nobody can tell you what to buy.

In-store vs actual use is pretty difficult though. Unbaked skates aren't a good measuring stick, much less walking around on carpet.

Looking for user experience.

I'm thinking the Nexus group might be my style. Also perhaps some Grafs?

User experience? That's dependent on how a skate fits their foot! Optimus' advice is the best. The most comfortable skate is the one that fits YOUR foot the best...

fit will determine how well you will skate in them... so the advice above is true.

Generally, even without a bake, you can tell if a skate fits well... the baking process (in most cases) is to aid the break in process by molding around your foot's bumps and lumps and to reduce negative space. The bake cannot rectify an ill fitting skate (ie one that is too long or too wide).

If you aren't hellbent on getting 2014 skates then you should be able to find some great closeout deals on 2012-2013 high end models in your price range that will give you more bells and whistles than it you went mid-range current skates.

yeah, not hell bent on brand new. I only put the (2014) to help with searching later because I'm sure it comes up a bit. At first glance this would help with searching :)

Here's my question: bells and whistles? what are modern hockey skates offering over something like my 1992 Bauer Custom 200s which were my absolutely favorite fitting skate before they blew a few seams.

Stiffer and lighter composite outsoles and heat moldable materials for starters.

Absolutely! Especially the lightness. You might not think having light skates is such a big deal, that is, until you try them out. what a difference it has made (in my experience). Just don't expect them to look as good as your 1000s look after 16 years of use...

yeah, I can see lightness being a great thing. I didn't like the fancy skates back in 1998 because they had no flex to them. I learned power skating back in the early days where it was all about getting that ankle snap to add that extra burst of power. Stiff ankled skates didn't work with my stride.

I'd look at the Graf 700 series or the Nexus 1000/800 if you can get away with a wide/deep boot. These are traditionally lasted skates and wont have the stiffness of top of the line composite boots.

Those are 4? years old, and remaining stock will be limited. 11.5D is the only size available in the link you posted.

The new Nexus skates replaced them, but a buddy wears them and loves them. It really depends on how a particular line fits YOUR foot.

What size do you wear?

Deals are definitely out there if you shop around AND are patient. I scored some Bauer Vapor X7.0's last season for $149 on close-out at PureHockey. They were $600 new in '11.

I had a similar question a year ago. The Vapors fit my foot about the same as my 20 year-old Bauers.

I'll try the Nexus 600s

I just don't want to be in the store trying on every variation of skates if I can avoid it.

I'm a big guy. I play defence and I prefer a classic fit (but only because that's all I've ever had)

For your skating type, I'd say definitely look at Graf's 700 series, as you've mentioned and Cavs19 also recommended. Beware that most of their models are lower cut, with a longer stock radius and aggressive toe pitch compared to the old Bauer Supremes you're used to. That may actually suit your skating after you get used to it, as it did me. Now I can't skate nearly as comfortably on a more neutral pitch, stiffer boot, higher cut, etc.

So, these pop up once in a while.

I've been skating on Bauer Supreme Power 1000s from 1998 since I bought them new.

They're OK, but the runners are getting wasted and my pro shop said it would be difficult to find new runners and if I did, they'd be nearly as expensive to replace than to just get better, more comfortable skates.

So, for Christmas, I'm going to put aside a few bucks to get the most comfortable skates I can afford.

My issue with my current skates is that they pinch my achilles and after a while, my feet feel like stone. Mostly in the heel.

I've always been a Bauer guy... but for no other reason than because they always fit me and were mostly affordable.

I always liked a softer boot so I could get more flick off the toe through the ankle.

Doesn't Step still make steel for the Custom+ holder?

I'd look at the Graf 700 series or the Nexus 1000/800 if you can get away with a wide/deep boot. These are traditionally lasted skates and wont have the stiffness of top of the line composite boots.

Thanks. I like the idea of Grafs. I remember having some a long time ago and they were super comfy

Graf G7s are on clearance now at HM and seem like a good candidate for what you want. Made softer for guys that still want to be able to use their ankles in turning and with a lot of forward flex built in. Flipside of that, as always, is less support.

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/graf-hockey-skate-g7ultra-sr.html

Thanks. I'll take a look. The hardest part about buying online is obviously not being able to try them on :(

For your skating type, I'd say definitely look at Graf's 700 series, as you've mentioned and Cavs19 also recommended. Beware that most of their models are lower cut, with a longer stock radius and aggressive toe pitch compared to the old Bauer Supremes you're used to. That may actually suit your skating after you get used to it, as it did me. Now I can't skate nearly as comfortably on a more neutral pitch, stiffer boot, higher cut, etc.

Lower cut meaning like the side? (Mid-top vs High-top if they were sneakers?)

Doesn't Step still make steel for the Custom+ holder?

Yes, but my pro shop said I'd need new holders too. Also, I noticed that the steel is about $70-80.(http://shopmidwestskate.com/Manufacturer/Velocity-Steel_4/ST-Custom-Velocity) I'd rather just get more comfortable skates. I don't love these skates at all.

No use investing in skates I don't really like.

Lower cut meaning like the side? (Mid-top vs High-top if they were sneakers?)

Exactly. I remember not really being bothered by it the first time I wore Grafs, but I was very observant of the power skating practice I had been taught, so that may be why. Others are bothered by how low they are compared to Bauer. Really, the most difficult thing to get used to was the radius and pitch on the Cobra holder. But once that clicked for me, my skating was so much more effortless and fluid than it had ever been in Bauer. It sounds as though you may be happy with what makes Graf different.

Perhaps. It's hard to tell without actually skating in them...

ugh, I hate getting new skates.

I might break out my dad's old Bauer 2000s for a bit.

SupremeCustom2000BauerTuuk20004_zps34bc1

I wouldn't order skates online unless you get free returns and most don't especially with clearance models. You probably won't save any money on current skates when you take into account baking and sharpening. Support your LHS, at least for skates.

yeah, that's the problem. I need to get fitted properly and using an LHS for fitting then buying online is a crappy thing to do.

That said, I could buy a clearance set of Nexus 800s for $230 on Hockey Monkey with a 25% off coupon...

Grabbed my dad's 2000s. They fit like a comfy pair of old sneakers. Can't wait to try them tonight.

Not sure how much of an edge they've got though.