Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

I know nothing about them. I had planned to change the holders on my g7s to Pitch 3s, to get rid of the Graf steel. If the price is reasonable I may try this instead. I live in Florida, so LHS is out of the question looking at their map. Any online source anybody knows of?

Hunter

I know nothing about them. I had planned to change the holders on my g7s to Pitch 3s, to get rid of the Graf steel. If the price is reasonable I may try this instead. I live in Florida, so LHS is out of the question looking at their map. Any online source anybody knows of?

Hunter

info@stepskates.com

I do carry Step steel as an alternative to the OEM. Find it is thicker than most OEM (width of the blade), sharpens with great consistancy and finishes well, but, does tend to "chip" a bit easier than others. Maybe because it has a slightly higher Rockwell hardness. (sharpening with an orange Blackstone wheel, will be changing back to back to Ruby after orange is out)

Find it is thicker than most OEM (width of the blade)

According to their website the diameter of their steel varies depending on which holders they are going in. The steel for TUUK C+ is 6.8mm. Lightspeed is 7.4mm. Anybody know the width of Bauer OEM steel?

edit: this is not true

Edited by JJStripes

Find it is thicker than most OEM (width of the blade)

According to their website the diameter of their steel varies depending on which holders they are going in. The steel for TUUK C+ is 6.8mm. Lightspeed is 7.4mm. Anybody know the width of Bauer OEM steel?

I have measured OEM CUST+ width to vary from 2.95mm to 3.03mm give or take. Known to be rather inconsistant, but we are not dealing in any NASA necessary spec. issues. Have found the STEP product a VERY tight fit going into the CUST+ holder. Most cases have had to use a little force to set it in properly. Will be installing on my skates very soon (old set almost worn out). Will follow up with impressions when transfer occurs.

I am really looking forward to this follow up. Based on your measurements Step steel is more than twice as wide as OEM. That's a pretty significant difference.

edit: this is not true

Edited by JJStripes

I am really looking forward to this follow up. Based on your measurements Step steel is more than twice as wide as OEM. That's a pretty significant difference.

Your blade measurements from the Step website are incorrect. The 6.8 & 7.4 mm measurements are not blade diameter, they are the screw size that holds the blade in place. Blade diameter is not listed, but one would expect it to be comparable to the OEM steel of your brand of choice.

I have a big order of the Velocity steel coming in the next few days. This is my first Velocity I've gotten so for now can't say benefits other than simply it will hold edges better and be less likely to break or rust. I have 2 customers waiting for the Velocity, so after they test it out I'll see what they have to say. It is pricey, prob most wouldn't spend $65 per runner, although some would. Heck, figure skaters spend much much more than that, I guess it will be where your priorities are, e.g, flashy colored stick, or better performing steel. The regular Step steel is better than most manufacturers stock steel and virtually everyone who has replaced their stock with it is happy so I envision the same will be true with the Velocity.

On some holders the Step needs a light tap with a rubber mallet to sit the steel the first time after installing, after that it goes in easy.

The diff between Step Steel and Step Velocity is the highly polished sides. The Rockwell rating and composition are identical. The sides look like they are plated in chrome. If you use Velocity be careful on who sharpens/hones the the sides of your blades.

I sharpened my first pair on Monday. They came out very nice. Customer picked them up today so I'll see what he has to say. They have an unbelievable mirror finish. When I tried to take a pic to post here, you could see my camera reflection and my face in the pic. They sharpened fine, didn't seem to have much shavings/curls that needed to be honed, but I honed them with a 220grit followed by a diamond hone and it didn't mar the finish at all.

wanna show us? Lol that's crazy how shiny they are like that.. Did you find anything different when sharpening them? Like in terms of feel?

I really want to use their velocity steel next season, but at $70 a pair it's tough. Maybe we can organize a group purchase and get a good discount.

Edited by JJStripes

I've been using Velocity by Step steel since around Christmas in my One90's. I love it. I find that there is noticeably less friction as compared to OEM steel which leads to better glide. It also seem to hold an edge better when turning. I like how the steel is taller as it means it will last me longer and also the profile of the steel is a little taller in the heel like Graf steel. It makes for a little more blade on the ice. Overall, I have been very pleased with the steel. It's got bling factor too, if you are into that sort of thing.

I really want to use their velocity steel next season, but at $70 a pair it's tough. Maybe we can organize a group purchase and get a good discount.

The price is closer to $70 each, not a pair. Very tough to swallow. To some it will be worth it.

$140 for what might be the best steel on the market seems reasonable when you consider what a lot of guys pay for OPS...

Very interested to hear more, jimmy, as you start getting impressions from customers and maybe a chance to take them for a spin yourself.

The price is closer to $70 each, not a pair. Very tough to swallow. To some it will be worth it.

I'm pretty sure it's $70 for the pair. I called them yesterday and that's what I was told.

and once jimmys elbow is all better B)

Just got back from the doctor to get stitches out, however another round of horse pill antibiotics, at least not more IV's. For those of you who don't think you can get staff infection from hockey equipment...oh well that's another topic.

I'll get a good pick of the Velocity mirror finish here later today.

Dear god, man, take care of that!

FWIW, 99% isopropanol sprayed in the pads is what my friendly neighbourhood germaphobic nurse recommended for sterilisation - that, an equipment-sized autoclave, or a hospital ozone chamber.

Dear god, man, take care of that!

FWIW, 99% isopropanol sprayed in the pads is what my friendly neighbourhood germaphobic nurse recommended for sterilisation - that, an equipment-sized autoclave, or a hospital ozone chamber.

Oh, I know how to prevent it... I even own a ozone chamber. I just thought I was immune because if I hadn't got it in 45yrs, why would I get it now. Answer: SUPERBUG!

How does this compare to the Sheffield Steel I had in my old Riedell Air hockey skates ten years ago? This stuff was pretty shiny as well.

• Like 1