Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

I've got the regular step steel and am very happy with it. Certainly seems to hold an edge longer than my LS2 steel did.

What does "hold an edge" mean?

Does it measure how long the steel stays sharp? If that's the case then I don't think it's relevant because I never get my skates sharpened due to dulling. I sharpen when I get nicks.

^^^ my daughter's figure skate blades are made of Sheffield steel...all I can say is NOT CHEAP !

Apples and oranges...

Why? At one time they made skate runners for Riedell Hockey as well.

I've got the regular step steel and am very happy with it. Certainly seems to hold an edge longer than my LS2 steel did.

Does it measure how long the steel stays sharp? If that's the case then I don't think it's relevant because I never get my skates sharpened due to dulling. I sharpen when I get nicks.

"hold on edge" is like whenever you are going into a turn and you don't loose any grip whatsoever on turns, etc.

"hold on edge" is like whenever you are going into a turn and you don't loose any grip whatsoever on turns, etc.

JR is right, I meant it as in I don't need to get them sharpened as much.

Also, I have no idea how you can go about playing hockey and never get your skates sharpened due to dulling...you must be a goalie, right?

Also, I have no idea how you can go about playing hockey and never get your skates sharpened due to dulling...you must be a goalie, right?

I am not a goalie. I skate between 15 and 20 hours a week, and I get my skates sharpened on average every 10 days. Sometimes I go two weeks. It just depends on when I get a nick. Most of my ice time is as a referee. My skates are sharpened for free by a professional equipment manager, so it's not a money thing.

:angry: That's a scurrilous myth! I skate on 1/2" at 220lbs, and a friend of mine is on 1/16" at 235 (6'6") - and despite both being on RBK steel, we're both about 6h per sharpening.

Ah well, all is forgiven.

I've never heard of anyone skating on a 1/16" ROH bofore; that's amazing!

Maybe theoretical ice from from the Chem 101 textbook doesn't dull edges, but real world ice and it's surrounding envorinment sure does. An average of 2.5 hours of ice per day over 10 days: Skates sharpened every 25 hours is really getting your money's worth out of a sharpening! I'm not calling BS, just suggesting that 25 hours between sharpenings, even at 3/4" to 1" ROH, is absolutely dulling your edge. The only question is, does a dull edge matter to you.

I didn't even think it was possible to sharpen at 1/16". The sharpest I've ever heard of people going is around a 1/4". I skate on 3/4" and I usually sharpen every 3-4 ice times or so. More often than not it's due to nicks or the loss of an edge from touching someone else steel or a screw on the bench or something, but even without nicks I can still notice the difference between a freshly sharpened 3/4" and a 3/4" that has been skated on once or twice. Even without nicks I would sharpen after 4-5 ice times.

Ice does not dull skates.

How about all of the impurities in the ice? Sand, dirt, and so many other things that are in the ice can dull the steel. Ever see dark piles of snow on the ice? How much dirt is in your soakers? How about on the rubber matting leading to the rink. Even if you can't see it it's there.

How about all of the impurities in the ice? Sand, dirt, and so many other things that are in the ice can dull the steel. Ever see dark piles of snow on the ice? How much dirt is in your soakers? How about on the rubber matting leading to the rink. Even if you can't see it it's there.

Where do you play hockey? Sand and dirt in the ice? I can see where you are coming from when it comes to stuff on the rubber matting, but quite frankly that's not a big issue where I play. They bring out the Zamboni style floor scrubber every morning. Sure I step on things every once in a while, but when I do that's the nicks that I am talking about. That's when I do sharpen my skates. I am careful though. It's such a pain in the butt to replace steel and try and get them rockered properly, that I am very careful and protective of my steel. I go to great lengths to avoid getting nicks and having to sharpen all the time.

Actually many rinks have sand foundations and small amounts of sand can find there way onto the ice. Friction be it ice on steel or plastic on steel or rubber on steel will wear down both surfaces to some degree.

Where do you play hockey? Sand and dirt in the ice? I can see where you are coming from when it comes to stuff on the rubber matting, but quite frankly that's not a big issue where I play. They bring out the Zamboni style floor scrubber every morning. Sure I step on things every once in a while, but when I do that's the nicks that I am talking about. That's when I do sharpen my skates. I am careful though. It's such a pain in the butt to replace steel and try and get them rockered properly, that I am very careful and protective of my steel. I go to great lengths to avoid getting nicks and having to sharpen all the time.

I have been in the rink business for 9 years and I have built many ice surfaces. It is the same everywhere. The ice can be very dirty, even if it still looks white.

I don't think so, but they should have them in the next few months. I'll check with my local rep and find out.

Edited by Jason

The profile of Step steel does not drop off at heel center like LS1. Those of you that have skated in Step did you notice the diff and how is the overall profile of stock Step blades compared to LS1?

Thanks

The profile of Step steel does not drop off at heel center like LS1. Those of you that have skated in Step did you notice the diff and how is the overall profile of stock Step blades compared to LS1?

Thanks

What skaters have told me is that they noticed extra stability and more power in heel turns with the STEPS.