Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Boz

Bags bags BAGS!

Had this bauer team bag(the one with the useless interior pockets) for maybe 3 years now and the rubber coating they put inside it is flaking off all over the fricken place. I'm looking at the warrior pro bag and the bauer pro bag. Anybody had these for any length of time and had any issues at all with them deteriorating?

http://www.warrior.com/Warrior-Pro-Bag/HB0950,default,pd.html?dwvar_HB0950_color=Black_with_Red_and_White&start=5&cgid=210080

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/bauer-hockey-equipment-bag-team-premium-carry-medium.html

I've had my Warrior Pro for about a year and a half. Mostly carried in a car but also through city public transit. Aside from scuffs you'd expect, holding up absolutely perfectly. Apex quality and simplicity; absolutely worth your money.

I have the Warrior Pro and I recommend it to everyone. Best bag in the industry imo. My roommate has one and loves hers as well. Spend the extra money and get the Warrior.

warriors are pretty nifty eh. time to tell the wife to order my xmas present and make me a sandwich.

I don't know if you're open to other options, but I just picked up the new Bauer Premium bag. HO-LY CRAP this thing is fantastic.

http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=BPBL

I have been using this bag since this summer. It is by far the best I have used. There is a mesh panel on top and each compartment also has ventilation grommets. The inner panel on the side compartment holding my skates has ripped at the top, but it doesn't affect the usability of the bag. My gear is mostly M/L size and I got the 33" (jr?) bag.

I don't know if you're open to other options, but I just picked up the new Bauer Premium bag. HO-LY CRAP this thing is fantastic.

http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=BPBL

I have been using this bag since this summer. It is by far the best I have used. There is a mesh panel on top and each compartment also has ventilation grommets. The inner panel on the side compartment holding my skates has ripped at the top, but it doesn't affect the usability of the bag. My gear is mostly M/L size and I got the 33" (jr?) bag.

Looking at it sitting on my home office floor, I'm starting to think I should have got the smaller model. This bag is HUGE. It's also very very tall, rather than wide. Normally I'd like this, but I have to stuff this into the trunk of a BMW 135i. I'll fill it with my gear and see if I can still get it into my car...

I seriously would love it if Bauer brought back the Vapor 10 bag. In my opinion, it was the best-designed/best-thought out carry bag ever made, and that was 10 years ago. Still have one.

For those who have never seen it, skate pockets were internal (every other bag on market were external), it had 4 mesh sleeves for elbow pads/gloves, a helmet bag on one end and a wet/dry garment bag on the other end which was removable. The top of the bag had 3 stick blade sleeves, and the strapping system was a three-point system - it had a center loop. You could feed it through and make it a backpack.

Had this bauer team bag(the one with the useless interior pockets) for maybe 3 years now and the rubber coating they put inside it is flaking off all over the fricken place. I'm looking at the warrior pro bag and the bauer pro bag. Anybody had these for any length of time and had any issues at all with them deteriorating?

http://www.warrior.com/Warrior-Pro-Bag/HB0950,default,pd.html?dwvar_HB0950_color=Black_with_Red_and_White&start=5&cgid=210080

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/bauer-hockey-equipment-bag-team-premium-carry-medium.html

I have the Vapor bag from a couple of years ago & its doing the same thing - any part that is silver has a flaking lining into the interior of the bag. I've thought about getting a newer bag, but none of them look to have the same pocket configuration as the one I have & really like...

I'm very curious to know if the newer Bauer Premium bag has the same issue, as it appears to be the closest thing to what I currently have.

I seriously would love it if Bauer brought back the Vapor 10 bag. In my opinion, it was the best-designed/best-thought out carry bag ever made, and that was 10 years ago. Still have one.

For those who have never seen it, skate pockets were internal (every other bag on market were external), it had 4 mesh sleeves for elbow pads/gloves, a helmet bag on one end and a wet/dry garment bag on the other end which was removable. The top of the bag had 3 stick blade sleeves, and the strapping system was a three-point system - it had a center loop. You could feed it through and make it a backpack.

Holy crap, that sounds amazing.

I'd love to see one of these smaller companies who are making bags now (can't recall the company name off the top of my head) pick up on suggestions like this.

Maybe something Junkyard Athletic could look into making? They already do a fan-freakin-tastic job with their bags. Something like this would be pricey but worth every penny, and I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

I have the Vapor bag from a couple of years ago & its doing the same thing - any part that is silver has a flaking lining into the interior of the bag. I've thought about getting a newer bag, but none of them look to have the same pocket configuration as the one I have & really like...

I'm very curious to know if the newer Bauer Premium bag has the same issue, as it appears to be the closest thing to what I currently have.

Will let you know. nozomi might be able to tell you also.

I plan on keeping the vents in mine open all the time, unless I'm travelling (which pretty much never happens - Winterfest will be my first time taking a hockey bag on a trip). So that would probably help with having crap flaking off.

I also take everything out of my bag after every game. I don't know if you do too, but I imagine that would help the longevity of a bag.

EDIT: haha lol there's no way in hell this is going to fit in my car!

P29Ne.png

We would have no interest in this and are currently evaluating our future with the manufacture of hockey bags.

Junkyard Athletic is, first and foremost, a sublimation business. We are into creating uniquely designed products, which, are Made in the USA. The combination of the two carries a higher price tag than products imported from overseas, and, similar "standard" items.

An example of where we were headed, the PRO-style hockey bag that we've again put on hiatus, was slated to carry a $199 USD sales price.

Understood. I only mentioned you because you do such a good job on your bags :)

Just dug it out of the attic.

They used 1000D, which at the time, no retail bag was that tough. You see the clips in the middle - the double strap could be separated into two singles, making it a backpack.

vap10b.jpg

vap10b2.jpg

vap10b3.jpg

That's definitely a really nice carry bag. Really heavy duty 1000D nylon, skate pockets, mesh pockets for gloves and elbows and the ability to carry it over your shoulder or use it as a backpack. You can't really ask for more than that, however; I'd prefer something else in place of the stick blade holder area - maybe pockets to hold things like extra laces, skate blades, a honing stone, tools ect. Even though I use both one and two piece sticks I've never carried extra blades with me - I just always bring two sticks and leave the extra blades and heat gun at home. If a blade replacement was needed I'd just take care of that for the next game - it's unlikely the average player would go through multiple sticks or blades in a game so I wouldn't be paranoid enough to carry extra stick blades around.

I really dig the simple single compartment bags because its one less zipper to jack up and one less place to look for that thing you can't seem to find. as with everything the older stuff lasted longer in most cases. I had the same cooper bag forever until the nylon would just tear from age. Also notice that with out this rubberized coating they put on these bags its realy thin compared to the old stuff. I could live without the coating but it flaked off behind the bag liner and you can hear it all moving around and crunching.

the premium bags are only 450d which is nothing. 1000d is the way to go ive got a ruck from http://www.specopsbrand.com/tactical-gear/packs/t-h-e-pack-3-day-assault-pack-coyote-brown.html if they made hockey bags like they used too I'd pay what my unit paid for this pack. lifetime no fault you break it its cool warranty too, I tore it on deployment they fixed it free sent it back out. also what would be cool is if my hockey bag had that bright ass yellow liner. I never lost stuff in that bag.

I really dig the simple single compartment bags because its one less zipper to jack up and one less place to look for that thing you can't seem to find. as with everything the older stuff lasted longer in most cases. I had the same cooper bag forever until the nylon would just tear from age. Also notice that with out this rubberized coating they put on these bags its realy thin compared to the old stuff. I could live without the coating but it flaked off behind the bag liner and you can hear it all moving around and crunching.

the premium bags are only 450d which is nothing. 1000d is the way to go ive got a ruck from http://www.specopsbrand.com/tactical-gear/packs/t-h-e-pack-3-day-assault-pack-coyote-brown.html if they made hockey bags like they used too I'd pay what my unit paid for this pack. lifetime no fault you break it its cool warranty too, I tore it on deployment they fixed it free sent it back out. also what would be cool is if my hockey bag had that bright ass yellow liner. I never lost stuff in that bag.

I personally prefer lots of compartments. I never have any issue with finding something, because I always put the same things into the same pockets.

Are you talking about the Bauer Premium bags being 450d? Maybe so. But stil better than the old Easton bag I'd been carrying around. Only piece of "equipment" I haven't replaced (until now) since I started playing hockey. Can you tell me what bag made by a major hockey manufacturer is 1000d? Maybe the "team bags" but I dont want one of those.

Will let you know. nozomi might be able to tell you also.

I plan on keeping the vents in mine open all the time, unless I'm travelling (which pretty much never happens - Winterfest will be my first time taking a hockey bag on a trip). So that would probably help with having crap flaking off.

I also take everything out of my bag after every game. I don't know if you do too, but I imagine that would help the longevity of a bag.

Everything comes out of my bag after I get home from a game & I generally leave it open when not in use too. I have had it ozone cleaned, along with my gear at least once & maybe twice, so that could be a factor I guess (its a waterless, heatless process...but I guess the chemicals could have caused the flaking). I have traveled with gear, but I use my old Easton Ultralite bag for that. I'm strongly considering taking a wire brush to it & seeing how much I can scrape off to speed up the flaking off. The "bag dandruff" all over my gear each time I get dressed or empty out the bag is annoying. I'm interesting in hearing how your bag holds up, but of course by the time you've had it for a few years to see if it starts flaking Bauer will have changed the design/materials again.

Also, I feel your pain on the giant bag. I probably could have gotten the size smaller, but I like not having to cram my gear in & it just fits in the trunk of my Camry. I think I got the 38" version.

I remember you talking me into getting one back in the EMB days and it's still kicking, even when airlines have murdered other bags.

I've become a big fan of the single pocket style bags over the years. Fewer compartments means fewer zippers to break.

I personally prefer lots of compartments. I never have any issue with finding something, because I always put the same things into the same pockets.

Are you talking about the Bauer Premium bags being 450d? Maybe so. But stil better than the old Easton bag I'd been carrying around. Only piece of "equipment" I haven't replaced (until now) since I started playing hockey. Can you tell me what bag made by a major hockey manufacturer is 1000d? Maybe the "team bags" but I dont want one of those.

Yeah I used to have one of those fancy Itech bags that had a pocket for everything. that was 6 different zippers to break, 5 different places I had to stuff things. I like one compartment with a little pouch inside so i can just throw my stuff in and not have to fiddle with stuff. also it makes unpacking late at night after the bar easy. I walk in the basement, unzip the bag dump it all out and i'm done.

Yeah i'm talking about the bauer premium bags only being 450d. your easton bag might have also been 450d but without a backing or it could have been less. your bag may be great for you but if you put it head to head against a bag with a higher strength nylon its not going to do as well. or put more simply your bag will tear easier than a 600d or 1000d bag and over time as moisture and uv damage work their magic it will fail sooner. its really a shame too because you are getting less for your money than we did 10 years ago.

looks like the warrior and reebok pro bags are 1000d and the reebok is licensed cordura 1000d. the warrior looks great but man that reebok is on clearance... decisions!!!

Anyone use the Reebok 4k bag? Im currently using a mission backpack, and I have to play tetris to get all my stuff into it (elbows into shins, shins into pants, etc). It sits jammed together in the bag for a few hours in the bar after the game before I get to empty it out onto my bedroom floor (NYC apartment problems). I can't imagine that is good for the gear.

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/reebok-hockey-equipment-bag-4k-36in.html

Yeah I used to have one of those fancy Itech bags that had a pocket for everything. that was 6 different zippers to break, 5 different places I had to stuff things. I like one compartment with a little pouch inside so i can just throw my stuff in and not have to fiddle with stuff. also it makes unpacking late at night after the bar easy. I walk in the basement, unzip the bag dump it all out and i'm done.

Yeah i'm talking about the bauer premium bags only being 450d. your easton bag might have also been 450d but without a backing or it could have been less. your bag may be great for you but if you put it head to head against a bag with a higher strength nylon its not going to do as well. or put more simply your bag will tear easier than a 600d or 1000d bag and over time as moisture and uv damage work their magic it will fail sooner. its really a shame too because you are getting less for your money than we did 10 years ago.

looks like the warrior and reebok pro bags are 1000d and the reebok is licensed cordura 1000d. the warrior looks great but man that reebok is on clearance... decisions!!!

Cool, well either way I'm happy with my purchase. And I did manage to fit it into my car :)

Never had any issues with zippers, either, so no big deal on that side of things.

A reasonably recent (2009) 1000d bag was the Warrior Eraser "Playa" carry bag - that's what I'm using and I'm very happy with it. The Eraser has one big compartment with two skate pockets and then has an end pocket with some mesh slots where you can put extra items. Here is the bag I'm referring to:http://redtag.totalhockey.com/product/Eraser_Playa_Bag/itm/3606-41/

I believe the Vandal replaced it, but it uses 600D nylon.

The Vapor 10 bag JR posted looks amazing - the only tweak I'd make to that is to repurpose the area used for carrying extra stick blades. Usually people just bring two sticks (whether one or two piece) so I really don't see the need for the extra blades. Extra skate blades, laces, a multi-tool and a honing stone would all be more useful.