Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Boz

Bags bags BAGS!

Cool, well either way I'm happy with my purchase. And I did manage to fit it into my car :)

Never had any issues with zippers, either, so no big deal on that side of things.

and that my friend is whats important, is that you are happy with what you have. I need something simple that I can beat up. what also would be cool is a slide out carpet

The Vapor 10 bag JR posted looks amazing - the only tweak I'd make to that is to repurpose the area used for carrying extra stick blades. Usually people just bring two sticks (whethere one or two piece) so I really don't see the need for the extra blades. Extra skate blades, laces, a multi-tool and a honing stone would all be more useful.

It was 2002. LOL

It was 2002. LOL

I know, and 2 piece setups were way more common then. Hell, the two sticks I used for my roller games this afternoon were both two piece sticks, but even in 2002 I never brought extra blades with me - I just brought two sticks and if I had a blade or stick break then I'd use my backup and replace or fix the other one when I got home. I suppose if someone was on a travel team and were going away to tournaments often then having the extra blades would be useful (along with a heat gun) so perhaps that was the thinking behind that option.

With that said, it looks like a fantastic bag and I'd love to see something similar back in the stores today. I imagine if it were rereleased there wouldn't be a spot for spare blades since two piece setups aren't nearly as popular as they were 10 years ago.

I still use that to bring extra blades and it paid off when I snapped one the other day. I bring a back-up shaft as well, but it had a banana curve I was trying out that I didn't want to have to keep using. After snapping that blade I'm about to go dig out an old Bauer team stick bag that has god-knows-what inside of it. Hopefully some shafts/blades.

Yeah I used to have one of those fancy Itech bags that had a pocket for everything. that was 6 different zippers to break, 5 different places I had to stuff things. I like one compartment with a little pouch inside so i can just throw my stuff in and not have to fiddle with stuff. also it makes unpacking late at night after the bar easy. I walk in the basement, unzip the bag dump it all out and i'm done.

The worst I ever had was a "gear" brand bag from Hockey Giant. I think the skate pocket zippers were broken before I even managed to get them closed once.

and that my friend is whats important, is that you are happy with what you have. I need something simple that I can beat up. what also would be cool is a slide out carpet

One of the local dollar stores had bound carpet remnants for sale a year or so ago. I bought a couple of them and keep one in my bag at all times.

Holy crap, that sounds amazing.

I'd love to see one of these smaller companies who are making bags now (can't recall the company name off the top of my head) pick up on suggestions like this.

Maybe something Junkyard Athletic could look into making? They already do a fan-freakin-tastic job with their bags. Something like this would be pricey but worth every penny, and I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Will let you know. nozomi might be able to tell you also.

I plan on keeping the vents in mine open all the time, unless I'm travelling (which pretty much never happens - Winterfest will be my first time taking a hockey bag on a trip). So that would probably help with having crap flaking off.

I also take everything out of my bag after every game. I don't know if you do too, but I imagine that would help the longevity of a bag.

EDIT: haha lol there's no way in hell this is going to fit in my car!

P29Ne.png

That Vapor 10 bag, if it was made today, would probably be the exact bag I would want. I'm not very organized and don't have a packing sequence/routine, so the extra pockets and compartments are something that would probably help me. I bought an Easton RS bag before the Bauer because it had some compartments, which were nice, but it's a seriously big bag, maybe too big.

Regarding the durability of the Bauer premium bag, none of the paint has flaked and the straps are all ok as well (I play 3x a week). I use one of the side compartments as a skate pocket, and the internal divider has ripped at the top, but functionally speaking it still works fine. I don't plan on changing bags until this one is completely destroyed, it works well and takes up very little space.

The worst I ever had was a "gear" brand bag from Hockey Giant. I think the skate pocket zippers were broken before I even managed to get them closed once.

One of the local dollar stores had bound carpet remnants for sale a year or so ago. I bought a couple of them and keep one in my bag at all times.

Yeah I do the same. My buddy had some left over carpet tiles from a hotel job. they have a thick rubber base and are tough as nails. My dumbass needs to stop forgetting it on the floor at the rink.

Back when bags were made in North America, they were a good product. I'm sorry to say almost all orient made bags are garbage. I do equipment sanitizing at my store and seen all the various bags, many of them. The bags from the orient just do not hold up, doesn't matter brand..

Back when bags were made in North America, they were a good product. I'm sorry to say almost all orient made bags are garbage. I do equipment sanitizing at my store and seen all the various bags, many of them. The bags from the orient just do not hold up, doesn't matter brand..

You get what you pay for lol

Surprised that with a lot of you mentioning that you like compartments, none of you mentioned GRIT : http://www.gritinc.net/canada/grit-hockey-bags.html

They've exploded in popularity among youth players in recent years around my area. People seem to want to spend money on a bag offering greater convenience and clever design. Not what I would've guessed at first!

Grits are nce bags for the juniors, adults just won't buy them. Too big, too much ridicule in locker room. Back when grit forced us to buy 2 senior bags for every 2 juniors, we never could sell a senior, instead donated them for some organization's raffle.

The Easton bag is terrible. The straps fall off of your shoulder when carrying it and it feels very cheaply made. Stay away.

Grits are nce bags for the juniors, adults just won't buy them. Too big, too much ridicule in locker room. Back when grit forced us to buy 2 senior bags for every 2 juniors, we never could sell a senior, instead donated them for some organization's raffle.

Have you seen the carry bag they have? It's got potential.

I mean, I have a big car, however, has a small trunk - it barely fits.

I have one. Awesome concept, but the one I have (HT1) is just a bit cumbersome. I like the new one they have coming out.

Haven't seen the new one but from hearsay, it's something radically different

I find the Gearbox interesting in concept but I'm more of an old-school guy in terms of carry bags. The bells and whistles are for the people who buy wheeled bags. The carry bags should be left simple but of good quality imo.

The Easton bag is terrible. The straps fall off of your shoulder when carrying it and it feels very cheaply made. Stay away.

That's too bad. That bag (I believe) is based off a pro-level bag that they were making for some of the college teams they worked with about 5-6 years ago, which was made out of some very sturdy material (I can't remember what). A buddy of mine worked at Easton and was supposed to get me one of those, but he left the company before he could grab me one. He told me that if they had brought that bag out at retail it would have sold for $200-250, which is similar to what junkyard was talking about.

That's too bad. That bag (I believe) is based off a pro-level bag that they were making for some of the college teams they worked with about 5-6 years ago, which was made out of some very sturdy material (I can't remember what). A buddy of mine worked at Easton and was supposed to get me one of those, but he left the company before he could grab me one. He told me that if they had brought that bag out at retail it would have sold for $200-250, which is similar to what junkyard was talking about.

Probably tarpaulin.

What's Chris up to nowadays?

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the bags Marcelo makes. The bag he did for me is bloody massive and damn near indestructable!

He posted in the thread, check the first page.

Agreed - I've run his bag through numerous flights for the past 3 yrs and no damage whatsoever. I have it packed damn near 50 lb for Winterfest.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the bags Marcelo makes. The bag he did for me is bloody massive and damn near indestructable!

That's where I got my MSH bag.

EDIT: Removed quoted picture; apparently this isn't happening automatically.

Outdoor duffles are excellent if smallish. I pack my gear into the MEC duffle (http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Packs/DuffleBags/PRD~4000-984/mec-duffle-bag.jsp). It's tight and takes longer to pack but the bag has been like new over a few years of use. They sell a marine version with mesh sides (http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/GiftIdeas/MemberPicks/PRD~4013-602/mec-mesh-duffle-bag.jsp) that i use in warm or dry weather to speed up drying be leaving it in the back of the truck on the way to/from a skate. I will throw the gear into the mesh bag for long trips to freshen it up at 100 kph for a few hours of sun and air; works a charm.

For the price you can't beat them except for the fact that hockey bags tend to be bigger. They certainly very well work for junior sized gear.

Only had the bag for 1/2 year but it is in great condition with zero problems.

If looking for a less expensive simple bag so far I'd recommend the Flite (Pro) bag model 1086.

Its is 600 denier, PVC lined base, self correcting #10 zippers, with the only pockets being the interior ones.

I got mine off Ebay but they have their own site too:

http://www.flitehockey.com/shop/product_info.php/cPath/21_1_26/products_id/59?osCsid=jsnhkjnaf38ecl1for0eahsjd4

No doubt the worst bag I've ever had was a Gear wheeled bag on sale for like $20. That thing was pure junk, flimsy nylon material and garbage wheeling system, the bottom plastic cracked like egg shells after a month or so of regular usage.

Ok, while we're sharing bag stories...

Last year my cheap $20 VIC bag bit the dust (which is to say the external compartment ripped off), and I was in the market for a new hauler.

I looked at them all, went to about 8-10 shops in the GTA. I just couldn't decide what I wanted. Couldn't figure out how many bells and whistles I wanted/needed.

One day I was in Crows in Oshawa, which if you haven't had the pleasure, looks and smells like what you might think about when you picture a LHS from your childhood. anyway, I was snooping in there and asked about bags. The guy handed me this giant black heavy canvas bag. It has one giant heavy duty zipper, two white straps, two "compartments" on the ends inside, a rubber coating on the bottom. That's it. They had it there as team bags with team colours and logos for the local Rep team, but he also had it in plain black and white. He said they're $80 but would do it for $60. I was very skeptical. This thing didn't look like any of the bags I'd been pouring over. Not only did it not have a million pockets and zippers, but it wasn't even made out of vinyl! The guy promised me that if I bought that bag that it would be the last bag I'd ever buy, that'd I'd need to re-do my will (or do a will in my case) to account for who would get the bag when I die. He was adamant that this was all the bag I would ever need.

Since I couldn't decide between all the wizardry of the bags I'd seen, and since the other "plain" "heavy duty" bags I'd seen were twice the price or more ('m looking at you warrior), I thought, what the heck, it's only $60.

Long story short. I now love this bag. What can I say, the guy was right. A year and a bit later and thing still looks brand new. It is huge, but since its a soft canvas with no shape or structure it's really only ever as big as the stuff you put inside. and when I do need to carry extra stuff, I have the room.

I wish I had a name or a link to share, but I don't, sorry.