Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scopes

Cooke cuts Karlsson

Ouch this looked like it had to hurt. Lacerated Achilles out indefinitely. Gotta feel for the Senators and Karlsson after such a good start to the season. This will most certainly hurt them.

Vid:

The face says it all: https://twitter.com/seangentille/status/301882655228706816/photo/1

I hope that it was an accident, looks absolutely brutal.

Edit for different video.

Ripstop material on Reebok EDGE socks should have been implemented from the start. The first time I wore a pair (pro version) I had a guy jump the boards and nick my knee slightly. The sock didn't stop it one bit.

Why they do not use cut resistant socks(regular ones not edge)? Wouldnt they prevent cuts like this one?

Not sure, maybe someone has insider info on this? It seems to me that it's a small price to pay for an extra bit of protection against something this tragic.

Nike Swift socks were revised to add ripstop material in the back after Team Canada used them for the first time. Gretzky made the suggestion, and they did, at least for them.

Why they do not use cut resistant socks(regular ones not edge)? Wouldnt they prevent cuts like this one?

Reebok won't do that; that would be an admission of failure as they have been selling it as a complete uniform. They should simply revise the socks, just like what they did for the players who didn't like the original EDGE jerseys.

I know personally I wouldn't go back to knit socks.

i would imagine the players figure it is such a rare occurance they dont worry about it - although maybe now more players will think twice

i cant see how anyone could say cooke meant to do that - he just finished his check and his foot accidentally came down inside his skate rather than outside - but with his previous reputation everyone is still going to claim he planned it

The cut is an accident, the attempt to take his leg out from behind on the hit is intentional and is what results in the cut. Yeah, it's a dirty play. His reputation is well earned, but he isn't the only guy in the league that plays that way.

i would imagine the players figure it is such a rare occurance they dont worry about it - although maybe now more players will think twice

i cant see how anyone could say cooke meant to do that - he just finished his check and his foot accidentally came down inside his skate rather than outside - but with his previous reputation everyone is still going to claim he planned it

Planned? No. Reckless disregard for the other player? Yes.

Matthew Barnaby and Mike Harrington had a Twitter war over this. Harrington crucifies Cooke, Barnaby comes in from left field and flames Harrington. When will these guys learn that arguing over the internet makes everyone look stupid? :facepalm:

I just adopt the Face Palm pose when i see all the comments that Cooke did this deliberately. I fully understand why people are making that assertion, but c'mon!

As for adding protection to the socks; in addition to making the Edge or Swift socks more cut resistant, is it incumbent on teams or players to be wearing skate socks with added cut resistant properties, like the Bauer Elite socks et al?

Like these:
http://www.puckstop.com/acatalog/Bauer_Elite_Performance_Skate_Sock.html

I don't think that this was on purpose but like JR said his history is playing a big role in this. I hope that this brings a change with the rip stop problem with the socks.

Would those socks (as JR posted) even help in this incident??? The cut appears to be lower than were the cut material is in the sock. I'm thinking freak accident that almost no amount of alternate equipment could have protected agaisnt.

Would those socks (as JR posted) even help in this incident??? The cut appears to be lower than were the cut material is in the sock. I'm thinking freak accident that almost no amount of alternate equipment could have protected agaisnt.

Where the cut is and where the material is on the Swift sock, I'd say yes. It started right at the heel.

I have a pair of the Tuff & Lite socks, I don't wear them as often as my other socks. Perhaps I should start.

I'm going to move to equipment discussion as it has seemed to turn into that.

I got "kicked" in the same spot last night, opposite leg. Pretty much the exact same scenario game-wise. Thankfully I don't have a cut, only a tender bruise.

I bought a pair of the 20k reebok skate socks to prevent such a catastrophic injury. Anybody have these or the tactic socks and experienced a similar incident? Did they help or are these skate socks just a waste of money?

I dont think that anything really needs to be done to the hockey socks being used, but as someone said, skate socks such as the Bauer Elite socks or the Tactics socks, which have kevlar from the ankle bone on up, would certainly prevent these kinds of incidents.

I dont know why more dont wear them, they are normal and nice socks down around the foot and in the skate, and the kevlar material then starts from about the ankle bone up to the knee and protects the entire calf and achilles area.

I push them to as many parents as will listen as I've seen more than a few skaters here at the rink suffer such injuries. A normal cut is bad enough, but when the achilles is involved it can be very serious.

When the Elite first came out, I took a normal core skate sock and the Elite and took a knife to them. It required hardly any pressure from the very sharp knife to slice open the normal sock, but even with very hard pressure, I could not get it to cut the Elite sock and the knife was much sharper than any skate would be. It left a mark, but didnt penetrate. I was pretty impressed.

But people are forgetting the simple fact that quite a lot of people, especially in the NHL, skate barefoot.

That is why the solution that will encompass all is to add the layer to the actual sock, not recommend an inner Kevlar sock.

I think that between the poeple who skate barefoot as JR said and the fact that so few players seem to wear their sock over their tendon guards that the idea that any type of equipment modification to either the hockey socks or a pair of skate socks could keep this from happening tois a bit of a stretch. Just have to hope that the incidence of something like this doesn't get out of control.

So did Reebok, on their Facebook page.

How soon until NHL EQMs take the matter into their own hands? I can see someone like Cass Marques (NYR) rigging up something.

This was posted on my friends FB page (he's a massive Senators fan). This is not even remotely funny... though I have to admit I chuckled a bit.

68JSt4Zl.jpg

I really do wish somebody would do something like what JR is talking about though. I'm tempted to get some kevlar socks, knowing how often in a low level men's league I end up tied up with somebody. I have some pretty nasty nicks in my skates...