Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kovyperron5727

NHL players you've met

I met Bobby Hull at a signing at a local tournament. He was a very nice man, but of course I can barely remember because I was about nine or ten years old at the time. He signed my stick, which happened to break about a week after that. It was the youth or intermediate Bauer stick that got recalled, so I do not even own his autograph anymore, lol.

He does a lot of appearances and signings, and seems to absolutely love being with fans. We usually hear that he'll be engaged for a specific period of time, but always stays late, sometimes quite a while, to take care of every fan he needs to.

Not sure if this counts, because hes yet to play a pro game, but my friend just got signed by the Devils. Will start the season in the AHL.

http://devils.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=560104&navid=DL|NJD|home

Totally going to buy his jersey, or ask for a free one. ahahah

Great news, I'll look forward to seeing him next year!

He does a lot of appearances and signings, and seems to absolutely love being with fans. We usually hear that he'll be engaged for a specific period of time, but always stays late, sometimes quite a while, to take care of every fan he needs to.

This is very true. Met Bobby back in 2001. Was really nice, had a decent chat, signed a couple pucks for me. All in all, an awesome guy!

My junior year in HS I went to Miami University (Ohio) to visit schools and stuff. During the tour of campus we passed by the ice center but the tour didn't take us inside so after the tour was over me and my parents stopped in and saw two guys playing broomball out on the ice. They invited me out there and we chatted and shot around for 10min or so. Turns out one of the guys was Ryan Jones (plays for Edmonton now), never did find out who the other guy was. Really cool guy.

Not really a player, but a coach. Drew Remenda, saw him at my game last Saturday, had a 20 minute conversation with him and he never once seemed uninterested. He also started the conversation with me, I wad just standing watching a game next to him! Great guy and honest. Hes not afraid to speak his mind, even against the sharks.

I "met" Maxim Sushinsky (now in the KHL, at the time he played for the Wild) on an escalator in a Macy's. The text of the conversation went like this:

Me: Your Maxim Sushinsky from the Wild aren't you?

Maxim: Big smile. Yeah.

Me: Picking up some clothes for the road trip? (he was holding a huge armload of clothes)

Me: Nice goal against the Blues the other night on the backhand.

Me: You don't speak any English do you?

Nick Lidstrom is a really nice guy

Mario Lemieux says hi to me every once in a while at tournaments where he's coaching his son

Chris Chelios is a cool guy, one time after a Tigers game we were in his restaurant and it was really crowded, my mom was really muscling her way through the crowd :lol: and pushed one guy particularly hard, he turns around and it turns out to be Chris Chelios haha

Bobby Orr (Alan Eagleson lived just down the street)

Played hockey with Joe Nieundyk's brother

Gretz and Mess (staying @ same hotel during Canada cup)

Kevin Lowe

Paul Cyr played wing for a season on our Thrashers Team

Blair Barnes one game in the bigs, Windsor Spitfire record holder (goals) passed away last summer. Friends at the outdoor rink.

When I was 5 or so I went to a Canada Post (mail) day at the Forum in Montreal. I was skating on the ice like I was playing and a tall big men took my hand and say ''calm down kid skate with me a little bit''. It was Jean Béliveau and my father was crying to see me skating hand in hand with him. Never saw other NHLers, except when they were in juniors. I was in CEGEP (college) in the same time than Kris Letang in Val-d'or, kind of a douche back then.

Only one i've met was Anatoli Semenov, who played with quite a few teams over the course of his career. He opened the Center Ice arena in Ontario, CA and I played in a couple of private pickup games with him. He was an approachable and seemingly likable guy from the little experience I had with him. Don't know if he still owns that particular rink these days. Haven't played there in years.

@captain he went to Russia a year or two ago Michelle Kwan's father now owns the rink

Ryan Shannon(when w/ducks) - tiny guy but realy nice sat and talked about hockey and his spin-o-rama try on Turco

ilya bryzgalov(when w/ducks) - flat out an amazing guy

Ryan Getzlaf - really nice about signing stuff

Corey Perry - same as Getzlaf

Sean Avery(when w/kings) - really nice if u were just talking to him as another person but if a person came up star struck he would then be kinda douchish

Teemu Selanne - possible the nicest human I've ever met

Todd Marchant - he was picking up his daughter from the rink great guy signed some stuff then jumped in his truck and waved as he left

as stated above Tony Semenov - in my book he is in the same boat as Teemu just a great guy and I met him and his son Alex is hilarious

don't know if this counts but E.j McGuire - I met him last year at the bauer invite in Chicago our team got knocked out in the second round and I stayed and watched the final 16u game and I stood next to him watching the game and we just talked about the game we were watching he was really nice

Couldn't agree more regarding Selanne. When I was 10, my parents and I went on a vacation to California. Saw the Wings play the Kings one night and the Wings play the Ducks the next. I remember not knowing who to cheer for as the Wings and Ducks were my two favourite teams. After the game my parents and I waited out by the players garage and while almost all the players drove right past (including Kariya who was one my favs at the time), Selanne pulled over and signed stuff for at least 30-40 mins. I have still have the jersey he autographed and a picture of me standing there with him in a Ducks jersey and Wings hat. Heck, I was 10 years old and I thought it was amazing that he wanted to make sure everyone went home happy.

I got to play Thursday on the same team with Joe Thornton, Patrick Marleau, Logan Couture, Dan Boyle, Douglas Murray, Jason Demers, Antti Niemi, and Tommy Wingels. Brent Burns, Ryane Clowe, Colin White, Frazer McLaren, and Thomas Greiss were on the other team. I only managed a couple of shots on Greiss, but wasn't able to score. I was able to set up Marleau with a nice pass and he ripped a screamer of a one-timer on Greiss, but hit the post. They all seemed like a good bunch of guys. The Sharks on my team were talkative and joked around alot, except for Marleau and Niemi. They were just shy, but not stuck up.

I had a puck roll slightly on edge at the last second before impact of a one timer with a 70 year old Hockey Legend named Terry Harper(5 cups with the Canadiens in the 60's) charging me to block the shot during a men's league playoff game. It was more of a snap than a slap shot but either way it rolled up and flattened on the blade causing me to throw it more than shoot it. Hit him flat in the face. Loudest slap I have ever heard! He instantly dropped! He just sat there straight faced holding his cheek. At first I thought it caught him with the edge but thank God it caught him flat. He just sat there for a minute while I skated over to grab an ice bag. While I was gone they got him off the ice and in the bleachers. Someone handed him water and told him to swish it around in his mouth. When he did this his face started leaking!!! I felt terrible and begged his forgiveness! He smiled at me and said "don't worry kid, the puck rolled on you". It took twenty stitches on the outside and fifty stitches on the inside of his cheek to close him up and he lost two teeth. The only thing that made him mad was that they would not allow him to finish playing due to the fact that he would not stop bleeding. He sat in the stands and cheered his team on for the rest of the game. What a true legend. Hockey players back then were just a different breed I guess.

For those that don;t know who he is

http://habslegends.blogspot.com/2008/07/terry-harper.html

http://www.legendsofhockey.net/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/SearchPlayer.jsp?player=12858

I got to play Thursday on the same team with Joe Thornton, Patrick Marleau, Logan Couture, Dan Boyle, Douglas Murray, Jason Demers, Antti Niemi, and Tommy Wingels. Brent Burns, Ryane Clowe, Colin White, Frazer McLaren, and Thomas Greiss were on the other team. I only managed a couple of shots on Greiss, but wasn't able to score. I was able to set up Marleau with a nice pass and he ripped a screamer of a one-timer on Greiss, but hit the post. They all seemed like a good bunch of guys. The Sharks on my team were talkative and joked around alot, except for Marleau and Niemi. They were just shy, but not stuck up.

yea I'm jealous.

After this mornings pick up game, I was alone in the locker room, and in the adjacent room there were kids getting ready for a game, so I closed the bathroom door out of courtesy. A few minutes later a tiny guy opens the door just to check in and see if anyone is in our room, and it's Danny Briere. That was a bit of a surprise.

Add this to not shocking list...my parents met Nick Lidstrom in Detroit last night at the Motor City Cup. They said he truly could not have been nicer or more humble. Also signed lots of autographs and took pics with the kids.

Not aN NHLer but I met U.S. olympian Brianne Mclaughlin at a USA hockey coaching clinic. That was pretty cool because its the first world class female player Ive met.

Met Keith Primeau at the hockeygiant Cherry Hill opening, let him know that I learned to skate by watching him which I think he got a kick out of. or creeped him out either one.

Does Patrice Cormier count? Met him at a local bar here in St.John's. Most of the ice caps team was there, he's a nice guy friendly with anyone and everyone.