Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

louierev07

What does your league consider slashing?

Just wondering how everyone elses league treats slashing calls. Last night I had a game, and Paul Fucking Bunyan and I are about to go after a puck against the board and he come down on my stick with two hands about as hard as he possibly could. My stick came out of my hands, but if it didn't - it probably would have snapped in half. No call. This is a no checking league - so after I'm left with no stick im forced to go after the puck with no stick. This guy again this hes a badass and starts shoving me against the boards, so I have no choice but to jack him up into the boards in an attempt to get the puck (like I said no checking - and mine wasn't a check). I got 2 mins for apparently pushing him too hard, but he got nothing for what I consider slashing, and then shoving me.

In other games, I have been playing defense (I play center), and have had douchebags do the same thing. Id be standing in the slot, nowhere near the goalie or front of the net, and hardass will come over and swing as hard as they can down on your stick. EDIT: forgot to mention the puck or play would be in the corner or somewhere away from me.

Where is the line between stick checking and slashing? The first example, you could say we were both going for the puck (even though he still slashed the shit out of me), but in the second example - the play was nowhere near me and im getting slashed. Is that legal?

My understanding that in the first scenario where he is coming down on the stick, that is a slash. Now in terms of other forms of stick checking, I'm not sure how penalties are called for that

My understanding that in the first scenario where he is coming down on the stick, that is a slash. Now in terms of other forms of stick checking, I'm not sure how penalties are called for that

Thats what I thought - but I haven't been playing long enough to know for sure. Its happened before, but I've never gotten a penalty for "retaliating" before.

is it a beer league? if so, your issue is expecting consistancy of calls from officials ;)

Its C league, so yea I guess you could consider it a beer league. They were pretty bad all game - but I did expect him to call it since it was right in front of his face.

Hacking a stick out of your hands when you're no where near the play can be called an interference if you ask me but stilll can be called. Problem is refs don't care in 9 out of 10 leagues and it's a shame. Can't tell you how many high sticks don't get called when they are blatant and in front of the ref and I find those to be very dangerous especially around the neck area. And I can't tell you how many times I get called for something in the corner bc I use one hand to push some guy back and he falls, it's almost a handicap to be stronger.

i too liked the paul F Bunyan part of this post, but yes, beer league refs can be sooooo bad. I have had three penalies in my one league for the parts or full of 6 seasons ive played in it, and all 3 were called in one game. I deserved 1, and I usually give the refs the benefit of the doubt

Inconsistency!? Bad calls!? Never.

Just this past beer league game, one of our players entered the zone with the puck (1 on 2 situation). The D collapsed at the hash marks and took our player out as well as themselves. The call? 2 minutes on our player for elbowing!

Hacking a stick out of your hands when you're no where near the play can be called an interference if you ask me but stilll can be called. Problem is refs don't care in 9 out of 10 leagues and it's a shame. Can't tell you how many high sticks don't get called when they are blatant and in front of the ref and I find those to be very dangerous especially around the neck area. And I can't tell you how many times I get called for something in the corner bc I use one hand to push some guy back and he falls, it's almost a handicap to be stronger.

Yup this is basically what happened to me. Guy starts shoving me, I have no stick so all I can do is shove his puny ass back into the boards and try to kick the puck. Im 200+ pounds and I'm a former wrestler, so hes not going to overpower me. I was so tempted to sweep one of his legs and put him on his ass too. If I had known I was going to get a penalty I would have anyway.

If guys on the other team are getting out of control I usually go right back at them just as hard. More often than not, the refs in our area will just call matching minors. Unfortunately, there is very little chance of addressing the issue of bad officials in any beer league and way too many refs treat beer league games with no respect for the players.

9 times out of 10, I found that these will be uncalled in beer league (even if they're blatantly obvious):

- Interference

- Slashing

- Hooking

- High Sticking

A lot of the penalties that are called are usually retaliation based:

- Roughing/fighting

- Cross-Checking/Checking/Boarding

- Elbowing

50/50 calls:

- Tripping

- Holding

Based on your description there should have been calls made. Last time I had something like that happen in "beer league" I asked the ref if "he was gonna call that shit"... He said "Nope"... My response was "OK, I'm goin old school then... no autopsy, no foul - right?" I proceeded to reach waaay down into my bag of dirty tricks and schooled the guy on exactly why he should respect his elders..... As for the ref..... He leaned on the boards and laughed hi ass off as he enjoyed watching me give the lesson.

Based on your description there should have been calls made. Last time I had something like that happen in "beer league" I asked the ref if "he was gonna call that shit"... He said "Nope"... My response was "OK, I'm goin old school then... no autopsy, no foul - right?" I proceeded to reach waaay down into my bag of dirty tricks and schooled the guy on exactly why he should respect his elders..... As for the ref..... He leaned on the boards and laughed hi ass off as he enjoyed watching me give the lesson.

While I appreciate somebody getting exactly what was coming to them, I really don't like when a ref essentially condones retaliation.

It's beer league, and most of us aren't in the best shape to begin with. One wrong fall or move or whatever can be disastrous. It's a dangerous enough game already, no need to make it more so by not calling the obvious stuff.

To stay on topic...it's hard to say in our league. If you're a better player than most guys out there, you won't draw any penalties unless it's so incredibly obvious that the ref really has no choice. Sometimes they call it for a stick check, sometimes not. There's not consistency.

I find that I generally get away with doing whatever I want if I only have my top hand on the stick, and I hit their stick first. I honestly try to go for the puck first, but two hands, even as a stick check will often get me a slash. One hand, usually nothing.

tareatingrat

I absolutely agree with you.....Something needed done about this kid acting dumb. I had team mates that intended to run him with the every intention of hurting him. The ref was one of those guys that they have to open the roof to let his ego enter the building. He had potential but his attitude basically wore out his welcome everywhere he went to the point that he's no longer in hockey at all. As for "the lesson", I never ran him or even checked him, I didn't need to do that to make my point. I just did all of those nasty, dirty, up close and personal things with a look and attitude that made him think I was batshit-crazy. and looking tfor just the right chance to just really hurt him. I admit, I worked him... made him afraid of me... made sure that he was more worrid about where I was than where the puck was. My teammates played along and hustled to the bench so I could jump on every time he hit the ice...nothing like hearing "there he goes, get him!" every time that you it the ice. Add in a couple well timed glass ratteling "near misses" when he was along the boards with his head down., following him to his bench telling him that I was gonnna get him.....

Funny timing on this topic, as I've been seeing a lot of this on my beer league. Well, let me correct that, I play on a beer league team, but over the course of the season, we realized we were really the only true C / beer league squad on the ice. Everyone else is higher level but insist on playing down to the C league and beating up on teams like mine :)

I notice better players who can stick check well are crafty and sneaky about it, so you don't always see it coming. The puck chasing tomahawk is different, and when that play develops and one player is clearly NOT going for the puck - it can be frustrating. I've taken some 'stick checks' right across my bottom hand and had nothing called. The refs in my league are good about keeping games consistent. The problem I have is when top level players go 100% aggressive at the obviously inexperienced guys, and then when the newbie player tries to do anything physical, rub elbows in the corner, lift a stick, etc, the top level player just turns it up another notch and puts the other guy on his ass with a sneaky trip, etc.

I realize it's hockey, but I keep trying to find a league where we can all 'just get along'....

With only one ref I do appreciate it when they let players police themselves a bit. I don't wear a shield and a few games ago I got a nasty high stick, toe of the blade right in my mouth. It was not intentional which actually makes me angrier. I gave him a two hander across the back of the calves. The ref gave me 2 for the slash and the other guy 4 for the high stick. When the guy bitched to the ref the ref laughed and said learn to keep your stick down. I thought it was a fair call

I'm starting to learn that the refs in my league don't actually have slashing in their rule book, actually the only reading material they acknowledge during a game is the menu from the pizza place next door(seriously one left mid game to call in an order). Guys are taking full baseball swings at us and then saying sorry like it was some accident. One of our players got his hand messed up pretty bad from a 2 hander. I'm still trying figure out what that $20 ref fee actually goes toward. Maybe their pizza. Needed to vent

With only one ref I do appreciate it when they let players police themselves a bit. I don't wear a shield and a few games ago I got a nasty high stick, toe of the blade right in my mouth. It was not intentional which actually makes me angrier. I gave him a two hander across the back of the calves. The ref gave me 2 for the slash and the other guy 4 for the high stick. When the guy bitched to the ref the ref laughed and said learn to keep your stick down. I thought it was a fair call

Your teeth okay? Bloody fuggin hell- that high stick could have cost a tooth or an eye.

You're bloody well justified for the two hander across the calves.

I was once called for interference on the puck carrier in men's league. There was no hook or hold, just angling him off to the boards without throwing a check in a non-check league.

Your teeth okay? Bloody fuggin hell- that high stick could have cost a tooth or an eye.

You're bloody well justified for the two hander across the calves.

No tooth loss just a fat bloody lip. I would rather get an intentional slash than an unintentional high stick. I hate it when players skate with sticks off the ice and are undisciplined. Usually the same guys who let a juicy rebound roll under their sticks

Had another idiot last night grab my stick with his hand, and try and hit himself in the head with it, and then try to get me for high sticking. Luckily the ref either saw this morons hand on my stick, or just didn't see it at all. These people are fucking ridiculous though.

Instead of paying someone to keep the stats of every game - which im assuming they do, why not just pay someone to record the game, and leave the stats for the teams to report themselves? Im guessing the timekeeper doubles as the "stat" person, but I'm sure it would help just about everyone all around. (liability when something bad happens, players get to see their games, etc)

But the people who constantly flop and do stupid shit would constantly get called out for it - which I would be a fan of.

Had another idiot last night grab my stick with his hand, and try and hit himself in the head with it, and then try to get me for high sticking. Luckily the ref either saw this morons hand on my stick, or just didn't see it at all. These people are fucking ridiculous though.

Instead of paying someone to keep the stats of every game - which im assuming they do, why not just pay someone to record the game, and leave the stats for the teams to report themselves? Im guessing the timekeeper doubles as the "stat" person, but I'm sure it would help just about everyone all around. (liability when something bad happens, players get to see their games, etc)

But the people who constantly flop and do stupid shit would constantly get called out for it - which I would be a fan of.

I thought some of the blokes I play pick up with were maroons!!!!

Who are these jokers?!?!?