Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

1 hour ago, the_game said:

I know everyone loves their huge Toe kink, Crazy Ovi, blah blah blah but what about making some OG Gretzky patterned blade or even a Crosby pro curve?

If you're a righty, you should try the BC06 Turk. It's like a toned-down Lidstrom - very flat and relatively closed.

BC06%20Turk%20Profile_zpsdovg1xnt.jpg

BC06%20Turk_zpsh7eugifp.jpg

BC06%20Turk%20Top_zpsqt48ecbe.jpg

1 hour ago, MrData said:

If you're a righty, you should try the BC06 Turk. It's like a toned-down Lidstrom - very flat and relatively closed.

Speaking of the Lidstrom (retail) curve, anybody know of a clone with a round toe? The Drury/p91a curves are all wegdes as opposed to an actual heel curve in my opinion. The closest I found was the Bauer p106, but it isn't the same...I'm tempted to sand one of my old Lidstrom sticks down at the toe just to round it out and send it in to see if they could do a mold if enough people were interested. I'd love to get my hands on that...

Edited by tcraig

On 12/19/2016 at 0:27 PM, MrData said:

BC06%20Turk%20Profile_zpsdovg1xnt.jpg

BC06%20Turk_zpsh7eugifp.jpg

BC06%20Turk%20Top_zpsqt48ecbe.jpg

Big fan of drury and mild heel curves. What's the lie on this? Also do have Minneapolis reps? 

10 hours ago, kyleo29 said:

Big fan of drury and mild heel curves. What's the lie on this? Also do have Minneapolis reps? 

It's a lie 6 - I'll have to inquire about reps around Minneapolis.

On November 16, 2016 at 8:03 PM, MrData said:

For those of you interested in the Kovalev/Perron pattern, here's my review of the curve! I've been using it on a Perron pro stock OPS. In short, it's surprisingly playable for something so unusual. The more I use it, the more I like it.

How does this compare to the Hossa pro that Base has (if you've tried it). Is the lie more upright on the Kovalev?  The curve looks close but maybe not as much at the toe. 

4 hours ago, ToeDragsForDays said:

How does this compare to the Hossa pro that Base has (if you've tried it). Is the lie more upright on the Kovalev?  The curve looks close but maybe not as much at the toe. 

Haven't tried the Hossa yet, but I've handled the blade in person. The Hossa is more open at the toe, and it doesn't have the heel kink that the Kovalev has. Unlike the Kovalev, it's completely straight until you get to the toe area, where the curve starts. The Kovalev lie is hard to pin down because of the huge rocker and long length. You can play it like a lie 5 by using a longer stick and stickhandling at the heel, or like a lie 6 by cutting your stick and using the toe more. The middle is somewhere in between (5.5 ish).

Edited by MrData
just noticed that I wrote "the heel is somewhere..." instead of "the middle is somewhere..."

2 hours ago, MrData said:

Haven't tried the Hossa yet, but I've handled the blade in person. The Hossa is more open at the toe, and it doesn't have the heel kink that the Kovalev has. Unlike the Kovalev, it's completely straight until you get to the toe area, where the curve starts. The Kovalev lie is hard to pin down because of the huge rocker and long length. You can play it like a lie 5 by using a longer stick and stickhandling at the heel, or like a lie 6 by cutting your stick and using the toe more. The heel is somewhere in between (5.5 ish).

I find my Kovalev blades match the rocker of a Darby/E13 almost exactly. The main difference is the heel on the Kovalev is lower and more rounded, but just a couple of cm in it starts to line up very closely. The Darby also stops up short of the Kovalev length a few cm. 5.5 seems like the perfect description to fit most of the blade.

I got a message on my phone via Youtube that Base has a BC77 Coffey Curve on the market as OPS.  How does this compare to the BC88 and can you get this as a blade only option?

Happy New Year everyone

8 hours ago, malcb33 said:

Did anyone pick up the Kovalev pro curve? If how are you finding it and which stick and blade flex did you choose?

I recently picked up the blade only version in a regular flex. The first thing I noticed right away is how great it is for stickhandling and I am not a person with silky mitts by any means.Stick handling is amazing with the curve in tight and far away.  I am still trying to adjust to the curve for shooting. I am not sure if the files of blade has anything to do with the shooting but I really like the flex for receiving passes. It is not pingy and passes don't fly off the stick. From what I understand the flex is so you can load up the blade but my lack of shooting skills I am not sure I notice this.

hope that helps

18 hours ago, malcb33 said:

Did anyone pick up the Kovalev pro curve? If how are you finding it and which stick and blade flex did you choose?

I also picked up the blade only version with the stiff blade.  For reference, I've been using the BC10 for a little over a year.  

The Kovalev is more rockered, which wasn't too difficult to adjust to, but the biggest challenge with this curve for me was the blade length.  It is much longer than what I am used to, and this threw off my shots.  If I had the puck right on the toe, my shots are great.  But I found it hard to keep the puck in the sweet spot for shooting.  

I am back to the BC10 for now.  

On 1/30/2017 at 8:52 AM, Sid said:

I recently picked up the blade only version in a regular flex.

I picked up 2 Nasty's and one blade in the stiff flex. Personally I found the the blade to have a dead type feel, not dampened like the One95. I didn't like it much at first but after using it more I'm starting to get used to it. I couldn't imagine how dead the regular blade flex feels.

@Sid @Giraffe14 How is the finish around where the blade inserts into the shaft? I just looked at mine today and noticed a decent sized chunk missing off one side. I've had a bunch of Base tapered blades before and know they normal taper out leaving a gap, but this is way more extreme and only on one side

3 hours ago, malcb33 said:

I picked up 2 Nasty's and one blade in the stiff flex. Personally I found the the blade to have a dead type feel, not dampened like the One95. I didn't like it much at first but after using it more I'm starting to get used to it. I couldn't imagine how dead the regular blade flex feels.

@Sid @Giraffe14 How is the finish around where the blade inserts into the shaft? I just looked at mine today and noticed a decent sized chunk missing off one side. I've had a bunch of Base tapered blades before and know they normal taper out leaving a gap, but this is way more extreme and only on one side

The last 3 blades I ordered had a better fit into the shaft.  There is still a bit of a gap, but not as bad as some of the blades I recieved in the past.  I had to take a sander to one once.  That said, I have never had any performance issues or breaks at the connection point.  

20 hours ago, Giraffe14 said:

I also picked up the blade only version with the stiff blade.  For reference, I've been using the BC10 for a little over a year.  

The Kovalev is more rockered, which wasn't too difficult to adjust to, but the biggest challenge with this curve for me was the blade length.  It is much longer than what I am used to, and this threw off my shots.  If I had the puck right on the toe, my shots are great.  But I found it hard to keep the puck in the sweet spot for shooting.  

I am back to the BC10 for now.  

Do you have both curves still?  Wondering I could get a photo comparison for reference...maybe curve view and them length view.  I'm a BC01 user but have nothing left and was curious about the Kovalev before I ordered again.  I like the idea of the big rocker but the length is a question for me.  

2 hours ago, ToeDragsForDays said:

Do you have both curves still?  Wondering I could get a photo comparison for reference...maybe curve view and them length view.  I'm a BC01 user but have nothing left and was curious about the Kovalev before I ordered again.  I like the idea of the big rocker but the length is a question for me.  

Yep, I'll take pictures and post them.  May take me a while to figure out how to post them here though, lol.  (I know I need to set up a photo bucket or some such first.)  

Here goes...  Base BC27 on left, BC10 on right

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/lRs9z"><a href="//imgur.com/lRs9z"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

BC27 on left, BC10 right

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/lRs9z"><a href="//imgur.com/lRs9z"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

^^^ I see this didn't work, links below. 

http://imgur.com/a/lRs9z

http://imgur.com/a/2bBtc

http://imgur.com/a/v9o5X

Edited by Giraffe14
Trying to embed photos...
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Giraffe14 said:

Here goes...  Base BC27 on left, BC10 on right

BC27 on left, BC10 right

^^^ I see this didn't work, links below. 

http://imgur.com/a/lRs9z

http://imgur.com/a/2bBtc

http://imgur.com/a/v9o5X

Much appreciated!!  I know the BC10 is similar to the BC01 and this gives me a better idea on the shape and curve compared to my BC01.  Once my tax return arrives I have a decision to make.

1 hour ago, kyleo29 said:

Is the Malkin pro curve pretty close to the gionta? 

I've never seen the Gionta curve, but the Malkin pro is very similar to the Bauer P88.  The primary difference is the curve is more towards the toe on the Malkin.  Rocker, blade length, lie, and overall depth are pretty similar.  

10 hours ago, Giraffe14 said:

I've never seen the Gionta curve, but the Malkin pro is very similar to the Bauer P88. 

I would disagree with this having used both curves. Sure if you look at it from the specs online I could see why you would say that, but the pocket (curve) is different spots and makes the blade play quite differently. 

The Malkin pro is quite similar to the old Gionta (has less loft and the pocket is slightly more mid- toe instead of toe). Another option is the True TC3 which has more loft but plays very similar to the Gionta/ W10

On another note @MrData or @Stephen7 what's the scoop on the new LT stick? I saw pictures but no specs or details except it's the lightest option to date. 

Edited by malcb33

Was looking at some sticks in PHL yesterday, that were labeled Gino 71 on the plate. If they are legit Malkin pro stock, then they are very similar to a P88.  I put it next to a P88 to compare and found very little difference. 

On 2017-03-14 at 11:54 AM, malcb33 said:

I would disagree with this having used both curves. Sure if you look at it from the specs online I could see why you would say that, but the pocket (curve) is different spots and makes the blade play quite differently. 

The Malkin pro is quite similar to the old Gionta (has less loft and the pocket is slightly more mid- toe instead of toe). Another option is the True TC3 which has more loft but plays very similar to the Gionta/ W10

On another note @MrData or @Stephen7 what's the scoop on the new LT stick? I saw pictures but no specs or details except it's the lightest option to date. 

Stephen would have more information than me, since he's been using the stick for a while now. I spoke to him about it, and he said he absolutely loved it. I'm looking forward to trying it myself soon! It is indeed our lightest stick ever, which some players will appreciate. Only way to know for sure though is to try it out!

On 2017-03-14 at 1:01 PM, boo10 said:

Was looking at some sticks in PHL yesterday, that were labeled Gino 71 on the plate. If they are legit Malkin pro stock, then they are very similar to a P88.  I put it next to a P88 to compare and found very little difference. 

Malkin, like many pros, has tweaked his pattern over his career. I recall hearing that he once grabbed Derrick Pouliot's stick stick to get out of a slump, and that stick was a P88 curve. Scored two goals with it in the first game, so he probably switched to a P88 after that. His original pattern is what we have on file though, and that's a closed toe curve with not much rocker.

• Like 1

On 2017-03-20 at 1:41 PM, MrData said:

It is indeed our lightest stick ever, which some players will appreciate. Only way to know for sure though is to try it out!

I would love to try it, but I'm not going to throw money at a stick because it's light and has purple graphics. 

Not saying this is anyway your fault  @MrData but seems like a really weird way to market a new stick with no solid information on it.