Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mack

Honda vs VW

only a turd cause it has the 2.0 N/A engine...

and comparing an rsx-s to a jetta would be like me comparing a corrado g60 to a Civic 1.6L DX... the jetta and civic have no chance compared to the cars they are being compared to. I said that a Volkswagen would be better than a Civic and i get jumped on w/ Type R this and RSX-S that...

handling is brakes/suspension, anything that helps it turn... i'd much rather have 4 wheel disc brakes w/ optional ABS than rear drums that come on Civics.  Icedog03 can comment on that one.

My civic has 4 wheel oversized discs w/abs. It's suspension is stiffer than any jetta/golf/passat, handles better too. Of course mine isn't exactly a regular civic, but you get the point.

And this comes from experience, I've driven dozens of vws, all of which have had tons of problems maintenance wise. I'll take a honda any day of the week. Though there is a VERY soft spot in my heart for the Corrado.

VW's are the macs of the auto world ;)

I do really like the look of the new jetta.

I said that a Volkswagen would be better than a Civic and i get jumped on w/ Type R this and RSX-S that...

But we were talking about CRX and my new Si (BTW when they say EP3 they're talking about an Si). My car isn't "riced" at all, it's standard. Heck, I got it just for the hatch, it's big enough to carry my hockey gear to games and get me to work, that's what it's for.

I absolutely love my honda. When i went to get a vehicle i drove both a honda(prelude) and a VW(GTI VR6) and i thought that the honda was better in almost every way. Obviously, the hatch on the VW had a lot more room than the trunk in the honda, but i decided i'd sacrifice that, and my hockey bag fits perfectly in my trunk so i'm not complaining. I'd definitely take a honda over a VW.

A 6 cylinder Jetta drives much better than a V6 Accord.  And it's not even close.
Legodoom, not saying that it's not true, because i haven't driven either of them, but from looking at specs, i'd think the accord would be better. If you're looking for speed out of either of those, the Accord would absolutely destroy the Jetta

hondas are much more reliable

Im not taking sides here, as I like both VW and Honda.

ShaneyB is right, I think GekigangarIII also mentioned it, VW's need constant maintenance. After owning it for only a year, My dad had to take his Passat into the shop three times in three months, and they were all for something different. He sold it a month later.

Is it just me or does the new Jetta look like a Japenese car?

P.S. (CRX is the shiz-nite)

A 6 cylinder Jetta drives much better than a V6 Accord.  And it's not even close.
Legodoom, not saying that it's not true, because i haven't driven either of them, but from looking at specs, i'd think the accord would be better. If you're looking for speed out of either of those, the Accord would absolutely destroy the Jetta

The Jetta handles better, has better gearing, and is more fun to drive than the Accord. Like I said, it's not close. I know I have different taste in cars than a lot on this board, but I though there was a huge difference in the way they drove.

The Jetta handles better, has better gearing, and is more fun to drive than the Accord. Like I said, it's not close. I know I have different taste in cars than a lot on this board, but I though there was a huge difference in the way they drove.

The Vr6 was alot faster then I thought they would be. But ended up getting a 1.8t, Turbos are fun :lol:

The Jetta handles better, has better gearing, and is more fun to drive than the Accord.  Like I said, it's not close.  I know I have different taste in cars than a lot on this board, but I though there was a huge difference in the way they drove.

I don't know.. I drove both a Jetta 6 and an Accord coupe HFP. Now I know the HFP isn't exactly a standard accord 6 but it blew the doors WAY off the jetta, there was no doubt about it. Tighter handling, way more accelleration, 6 speed. The only thing the jetta had over it was the purple/blue dash ;)

the crappy thing about turbos is the extra $$ they cost in insurance. It's unreal in the US how insurance companies see that "T" in a model number and instantly charge 30-60% more for the N/A version of the same model.

i have an 04 accord coupe. i test drove the jetta before i got it. and if i could go back and choose again. i would make the same choice. i havent had a single problem with it. and i work the car pretty bad. i even taught my girl how to drive stick on it.

Wow, nothing to spice up the boards like a car war.

Its not a complete car war without vapor and lego/rest of the board arguing back and forth...

I have a Jetta GLX VR6 model, with low profile tires and upgraded stock rims and it runs pretty smoot. It`s an 2002, and I (we) have had no problems with it. The 200 hp engine would rip any Civic. My dad was looking at the Civic but the Jetta was classier and way more powerful, plus we got a good deal on it.

Wow, nothing to spice up the boards like a car war.

Its not a complete car war without vapor and lego/rest of the board arguing back and forth...

If anything, the shoe thread may be distracting vapor.

Ive gotta tell ya, I hate to do it, but I agree with lego here. I think the Jetta is a far superior car. I wouldnt get the 6 banger though, much heavier for not that much power. Just get a 1.8T and turn up the boost on that mother. I am a Honda Hater, so I may be bias. Hondas are cheap cars, not very well made, and dont tell me that they can outhandle a V dub. Stock for stock, it may be slower, but with a 75 dollar boost controller, your Jetta or GTI will be smoking Accords no doubt. All these cars are bitch cars though :) Lemme see some muscle.

Hondas are cheap cars, not very well made

Honestly? I'll let all the honda owners I know that have 400,000+ miles on their cars that it wasn't made well and is "cheap". LOL. I'll also let all the other VW owners I've known in the past ('02 to present) that have had their cars in the shop at *least* once every other month know that they got rid of a quality automobile. ;)

I'll tell you flat out that an "H" can outhandle a "VW" because I've actually driven several versions of both.

Let's face it, neither brand of car is exactly the end all of performance. People that buy a honda or a vw for performance are really kidding themselves. I'd buy a vw for some of the nice whiz bangs, etc. but my time is worth way too much money to be hassling with going to the shop every other month. Plus if you buy one used you always have the burden of getting the rainbow sticker or mac logo off the bumper ;)

Plus if you buy one used you always have the burden of getting the rainbow sticker or mac logo off the bumper ;)

Zing

I'm not going to say that Honda's are unreliable, because they are. I just feel that, in general, VW's handle better and have a much higher "fun to drive" factor.

I'm not going to say that Honda's are unreliable, because they are. I just feel that, in general, VW's handle better and have a much higher "fun to drive" factor.

i'm really interested to hear how honda's are very unreliable.....

Sorry, I should have said:

I'm not going to say that Honda's are unreliable, because they aren't.

There's too many negatives in there :D

Honestly?  I'll let all the honda owners I know that have 400,000+ miles on their cars that it wasn't made well and is "cheap".  LOL.  I'll also let all the other VW owners I've known in the past ('02 to present) that have had their cars in the shop at *least* once every other month know that they got rid of a quality automobile. ;)

I'll tell you flat out that an "H" can outhandle a "VW" because I've actually driven several versions of both. 

Let's face it, neither brand of car is exactly the end all of performance.  People that buy a honda or a vw for performance are really kidding themselves.  I'd buy a vw for some of the nice whiz bangs, etc. but my time is worth way too much money to be hassling with going to the shop every other month.  Plus if you buy one used you always have the burden of getting the rainbow sticker or mac logo off the bumper ;)

By cheap I dont mean reliable. The materials used in Honda cars are second to many (or third and fourth for that matter). Any car can go (with some exceptions) into six figures, its just how much you are wiling to put into it. My sister has a Passat, and she is in the shop more often then she is not. There are a lot of electrical problems with the cars. How many times do you think your honda bnoy has been in the shop with his 400,000 mile car, I would say many. I just hate Jap cars (even though I drive one, nismo 4 lyfe). In all of these arguments we have not been comparing apples to apples. Find two similar cars from each line and then compare them.

By cheap I dont mean reliable. The materials used in Honda cars are second to many (or third and fourth for that matter).

How many times do you think your honda bnoy has been in the shop with his 400,000 mile car, I would say many.

I don't think comparable models of H vs VW would be all that different as far as quality materials go. Now if you're going to compare a base civic verses a Jetta, yeah, it'd be a little lopsided, but that totally goes to your apples/oranges point.

I can tell you how many times the 400K guy has been in the shop, I work with him. He's taken the accord to the shop 3, count them 3 times. One for a tune up at 150,000, one for a cracked spark plug one to replace a starter.

I can tell you how many times I've had to take any of my hondas to the shop in the past 5 years. zero.

I've said it before, I like the Jetta, but their reputation for poor maintenance records (which is well deserved and documented) scares me from owning one.

What's funny is, I don't give a crap about cars in general. If it gets me to where I'm going it's fine with me and until they release the Skyline Gt-R in the states I'm not really passionate about any car.. lol

Geki... you can get a skyline into the states. Just be prepared to pay out the ass to convert it. It'll be near $95k total, which is more than a little pricey.