Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mack

Honda vs VW

by converting, do you mean switching it from right hand to left hand drive? or is it just changing it to meet the emmissions etc for north america?

I believe the cars are kept RHD when doing the conversion. Converting it to LHD would be a pain with the turbos (among other things).

Theres a place in so cal that imports skylines. I want to say the name of it is motorex but im not sure. a few years back it was close to a 100k for a newer one. not sure hat they are now though

Geki... you can get a skyline into the states. Just be prepared to pay out the ass to convert it. It'll be near $95k total, which is more than a little pricey.

Yeah Lego, I actually researched doing it at one point but the cost for motorex to bring it over and then to get a license and testing for the car was absurd.. Maybe one day Nissan will finally release a *real* skyline here :(

Geki... you can get a skyline into the states.  Just be prepared to pay out the ass to convert it.  It'll be near $95k total, which is more than a little pricey.

Yeah Lego, I actually researched doing it at one point but the cost for motorex to bring it over and then to get a license and testing for the car was absurd.. Maybe one day Nissan will finally release a *real* skyline here :(

Ive heard 2007 for a US skyline...

]

Ive heard 2007 for a US skyline...

I recall seeing somewhere that they will be along the lines of the 350z style or something similar and possibly badged under infiniti. whihc would just jack up the price that much more

I recall seeing somewhere that they will be along the lines of the 350z style or something similar and possibly badged under infiniti. whihc would just jack up the price that much more

yeah technically right now the infinity G35 is a "skyline" but it's a pussed out version and not a GT-X line. The 2007 one sounds like more of the same to me. I guess we'll see!

yeah technically right now the infinity G35 is a "skyline" but it's a pussed out version and not a GT-X line. The 2007 one sounds like more of the same to me. I guess we'll see!

The 07 is supposed to be sick. But more or less it is a G35 with a bigger engine.

they would have to dumb down any skyline they send over here because of emissions, so you wouldn't be getting an actual GT-R or w/e over here, just a dumbed down version.

Theres a place in so cal that imports skylines. I want to say the name of it is motorex but im not sure. a few years back it was close to a 100k for a newer one. not sure hat they are now though

Motorex is the place that imports them. I think it's around $20k to import it and convert it, but it does depend on the year/model of skyline.

this biggest money eating thing with importing a skyline is the crash test rating. as far as i know, in order to have a car certified for street use in the u.s., it must be crash tested to see if it meets up with the d.o.t.'s regulations. in most cases, (i.e.: rhd hondas, subarus, and mitsu's) there is a comparable car in already in the united states that meets the d.o.t.'s standards. so you don't really have to deal with that part of importing. that car's ratings can be applied to the imported car. if there isn't a similar car, like in the skyline's case, the importer (like motorex) must sacrafice a car for crash testing. this testing is by no means cheap. that's a good chunk of what you're paying for when you try to buy a skyline. along with emisions, shipping fees, and the normal price hike for it being a skyline. the only other way around it is to classify the car as a parts car or a race car. you can run it on the track, but you'll be taking your chances on the street with legality.

as far as the rumored u.s. bound skyline, its very possible something awd and twin turbo'd might come this way. one of the cool things about the 350z/g35 chassis is the room they left for a possible awd system. it could be easily retrofitted. in fact, there are a couple hill climb 350zs that i know of, that have an awd system in place without gratuitous body mods.

they would have to dumb down any skyline they send over here because of emissions, so you wouldn't be getting an actual GT-R or w/e over here, just a dumbed down version.

there's no justification behind your statement saying that emissions cause any GT-R's to be dumbed down. there are ways to improve an engine's horsepower that don't require it too have poor emissions, consider theWRX STi for example, the japanese version has around 270 (or 280?) horsepower, but the one here has 300 hp even though it meets all of the emissions restrictions. the mitsu lancer evo actually really close to the japanese version, it's just got a suspension that's softer than the japanese one.

man looks like I missed this thread, I'm v-dubbin all the way. Wont ever drive anything but a German (or european) car. They cost more generally than Japanneese and domestics but as the saying goes, You get what you pay for.

I dont get the whole Skyline crowd. Take a heavy car, put a small engine in it, and make 300 hp... wow? They handle pretty well, but nothing great. 0-60 in 5.2? WOW... maybe Im missing something, I guess they are cousins with the NSX guys

Yeah, until they dump 800-900 hp in a Skyline, and then that whole weight thing becomes a bit less important, as you're now running in a super car class along with Supras, RX-7 and NSX. There's a reason Skylines have a huge following by car enthusiasts.

You dump 800 hp in any car your flying high. NONE of the cars you named are super cars. 290 hp stock on the nsx-r for 90k? hmmm ok.

Never once did I say they are super cars, but rather they can full well run in line with the super cars. The Japanese are the best at making the most HP with the least amount of displacement. The fact that you call yourself a fan of Nismo, and then openly trash the Skyline is somewhat contradictory. The next time you see a German automotive pushing 750+ HP you let me know, until then realize that the Supra, Skyline and RX-7 are serious cars performance wise that German nor American engineering is capable of matching, with the exception of the few privilidged individuals such as McLaren who do it themselves in stead of for an actual automaker. The NSX I will concede to you, as it was simply listed to enhance the point I was making.

Those are nice cars, but to say there some great thing over amercian or german cars is going a little to far. Its all P.P., Ever drive a grand national? 6 cycl with a turbo. Skyline 6 cycl with twin turbo's. All the car manf. whatever country have copied and from each other. To put a RX-7 or supra next to a 911 is crazy, And I have driven both of them. I guess the point I am trying to make is they all make a good car, its all been done before, just find one you like

While I'd agree with that, I was trying to make a point. For me, give me an old Cuda. The problem with my choice car is it's not real fuel effecient, but it has tons of power. German cars are not known for having an economy car capable of being modded into a nightmarish street or strip racer. Only the Japanese have built cars that are so effecient and with interchangable parts that you can do insane upgrades to them to produce a powerful, effecient car for less than what many sports cars worth their weight would cost. Civics are the prime example of what I'm talking about, as they are designed as a lower end econo car, but can be modded into serious racers. Can't do as much with Jettas, Cavaliers, or any other car in the same class with the possible exception of the Ford Focus (seeing as how that's the market it has been catered too). All the other cars that you can make into street/strip performers are Japanese. Impreza, Lancer, Civic, RSX are all perfect examples of this.

All im gona say is that my dad had a standard trans. Jetta 1.8T Wolfsberg eddition, it was the best car ive driven in/driven. The handling is sweet and it rides so smooth at speeds like 90,95 100+. Also, we never had any problems with it, it was pretty reliable. I would have loved to keep it for when i get my licence but my dad had to trade it in because he needed more room in his car due to his job <_< , smallest trunk in that thing ever. Now he's rollin in the Chevy Equinox ;) :D

I was being saracistic that I was a Nismo guy. I do own a g35, which I plan on getting rid of. As the Chevy and Dodge boys say, there is no replacment for displacment. Sure you can blow your motor and get more torque, but its not all the way accross the band and thing of when you but a big 6.0 engine in there and blow it, what it can do. I am impressed with evo numbers, but look, at the end of the day, your still drving an evo. There are people who own 1992 Ford Taurus SHOs (Super high output). They are lil 3.0 6 bangers with superchargers. People replace headers, exaust, do a pully swap, and make like 800 hp, and osme of them run low 11s, even tens. But at the end of the day, your sitting in the ugliest crapiest piece of crapy crap crap. Sure, the new skyline that they are only making like 50 of (some special eddition) can run mid 10s, but, dude, its a skyline.