Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wyckoffplaya15

Defence, Men Longer or Shorter Sticks?

I am 14 i play defence for a 16u and 18u travel indoor teams my friends all tell me to take my si-core senior and put a end plug in it a bigger one than stock (i dont have a plug in now). I am 5'7" and i play kids 6'+ i was wondering if anybody knew if what the pros and cons where about doing this. I was thinking the powerplug (the curved one) or and 6 inch plug opposted to the 3 1/2 that comes stock if i do change it this would make the stick as tall as me

Thanks for the help

-tim

Longer sticks will give you more reach and can sometimes impove your shot, but may hurt your stickhandling. I am a shade under 6'0 and now use a stick thats about middle of my neck. I used to use sticks that were "full length", but now cut all of my sticks a good couple of inches. It's really personal prefrence.

what feels right for you ,you dont need a long stick to play the body ,like a good defenseman should,and is a longer stick going to take away from your slap shot at the point?how about when you need to break out is your stick handling going to suffer?rule of thumb,standing flat foot, the stick should be cut at your nose so when you put your skates on its around your chin.

you dont need a long stick to play the body

haha yeah, motion of the ocean man.

on topic: get a stick that's the right size for you. like anything, you'll get used to it.

I used to use a stick that was up to my noes when standing on my tippy toes or on skates. I used to like it for the longer reach. Im 5'11 and now i only use my sticks up to my chin because i feel i can stick handle better and get a better all around shot (snap shot,wrist shot, and slap shot)

I'm a weirdo, so my stick length probably won't work for everyone. I used a stick that when on skates is probably about an inch under my collarbone. I also hitch my elbow when someone's skating up on me to make the stick look even smaller. But, I also have large gorilla arms, which is something that isn't often taken into account when cutting a stick.

i use a stick that is way to big for me, i just took the butt end out of the stick (im not very tall) i just cant play well without a long stick, i use long sticks for offense because it allows me to reach further and it helps me shoot better. i think stick length is pp, but lots of people criticise my stick being long, but if im still scoring they cant complain.

I'm a weirdo, so my stick length probably won't work for everyone. I used a stick that when on skates is probably about an inch under my collarbone. I also hitch my elbow when someone's skating up on me to make the stick look even smaller. But, I also have large gorilla arms, which is something that isn't often taken into account when cutting a stick.

Differing arm length is one of the biggest fallacies going. The distance from your left hand middle fingertip to your right hand fingertip is exactly equal to your height. Try is out, stand with your arms straight out from your sides and measure. It will be your height.

It is personal preference but if people actually bent their knees when they skated shorter sticks would be back in style.

Differing arm length is one of the biggest fallacies going. The distance from your left hand middle fingertip to your right hand fingertip is exactly equal to your height. Try is out, stand with your arms straight out from your sides and measure. It will be your height.

Not always true. I know some guys whose wrists are at their waist level and others who have wrists that come halfway down their thigh. I've measured enough people for custom golf clubs to know that some people are different.

t is personal preference but if people actually bent their knees when they skated shorter sticks would be back in style.

I bend my knees, hunch my back and I still prefer a long stick, but I use a low lie. I tend to agree about kids bending their knees though, far too many skate really upright.

i like my sticks up to the bottom of my nose ,i shoot better with a longer stick and stickhandle and pass better with a longer stick. its also good to have a nice reach. i hate it when people tell me the "right length" is the bottom of your chin and my sticks too long,there is no right length

Not always true. I know some guys whose wrists are at their waist level and others who have wrists that come halfway down their thigh. I've measured enough people for custom golf clubs to know that some people are different.

Yep, I'm pretty much halfway down my thigh. Add to that the fact I'm one of those people who are "all torso" so when my knees are bent my arms are pretty far down already.

If anyone's been watching the NBA finals, Teyshaun Prince pretty much has my body type, if I was about 6-7" taller.

It's all personal prefrence, but if you play def, it is a good idea to try longer sticks, just because the etra reach helps you, and you will not miss the stick handling and control that you loose from the longer stick.

I play foward and like a smaller stick, but I think if I played a lot of D, I would try to use a larger one just to get more reach.

Yep, I'm pretty much halfway down my thigh. Add to that the fact I'm one of those people who are "all torso" so when my knees are bent my arms are pretty far down already.

If anyone's been watching the NBA finals, Teyshaun Prince pretty much has my body type, if I was about 6-7" taller.

Trust me, try it. In college a whole bunch of us tried it once we heard about it. One kid, who seemed to have monkey arms had it work just like everyone else.

when a kid is starting to learn the game of hockey and buys a stick thats 1 ft taller than he is ,his father asks whats the right hieght to cut the stick ,what do you tell him?

when a kid is starting to learn the game of hockey and buys a stick thats 1 ft taller than he is ,his father asks whats the right hieght to cut the stick ,what do you tell him?

id cut it around his nose

Personally, I'd put'em in his rollerblades (or skates), get him into a hockey position with gloves on. Blade flat on the ground, then cut a few inches above where his top hand is.

i ussually just buy a stick thats up to my head with out skates, its just th way i like it to be honest because im not that tall and it gives me a better reach comparable to a 6' player

Its all PP....I like long sticks for shooting but when I stickhandle, I look like a retarted person humping a door knob......

LOL! :lol: Is better stick handling with a smaller stick because there is less stick to deal with or is it because you are closer to the ice or something?

Its all PP....I like long sticks for shooting but when I stickhandle, I look like a retarted person humping a door knob......

LOL! :lol: Is better stick handling with a smaller stick because there is less stick to deal with or is it because you are closer to the ice or something?

A shorter stick helps me with the forehand stops (crossing the knob under without hitting my shoulder pads' chest protection or stomach).

If I'm defending against a forward that has a long stick I will shade slightly towards his backhand-side curl / escape move, unless he has the Jagr mohawk turn to his forehand side.