Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jrhky36

repair of equiment

Those L-brackets can also be used like those sideways Overdrive blades the butterfly goalies (Lalime) used to have on their goalie skate cowlings.

How would I go about sewing a hockey bag strap back on?

You can use a sewing machine needle, some carpet thread or dental floss (see one of the previous posts), and lock-stitch it on. It's faster because you don't have to pass the needle all the way through, and it's more reliable in the long run.

Thanks for the advice. I don't have a machine so I'll attempt it by hand...worst comes to worst there's a shoe repair shop down the street, maybe they want a little business.

Another question, anyone ever add padding to bag straps? It always digs into my shoulder and leaves huge red marks.

Yes, I have a really cheap bag.

EDIT: I did some Googling and it looks like most auto parts stores carry pads for seat belts that just velcro on. I'll pick one up.

I'm not really sure why, but I never thought to use dental floss to do equipment repairs. Well, I picked some up last night and just did my first repair with it. It's like the clouds parted and the sun is shining down on me! One of the best ideas I've picked up on this site. Thanks!

It's great stuff - Marty Biron swears by it.

I still prefer #138 bonded nylon thread, but I don't want to carry the whole damn spool around with me. For quick repairs, dental floss rules.

So for my elbow pads in which the straps are coming undone, you'd recommend just sewing them back together with dental floss? Interesting. Is there anywhere/anyone that can describe a good sewing pattern?

Is that sewing awl going to be a lot better than just a regular needle for nylon?

You can use a sewing machine needle and do it by hand. Just put some hockey tape around the non-pointy end for grip.

^^ Absolutely. If that's the tool you have on hand - a sewing-machine needle, or the kind of straight needle that comes in a basic sewing kit - it works just fine.

Had to look up a video but I get the idea. What would you guys recommend for something where you can't access both sides of the material though?

You need to use a curved needle. Sewing awls generally come with a very slightly curved needle, but it's more like a needle with an angled tip. For what you're describing, you probably need a needle that has a curve close to 180 degrees.

Is that sewing awl going to be a lot better than just a regular needle for nylon?

A sewing awl is just much more pleasant to use in general: fewer jabbed fingers, no callous n the palm, etc. I have some ridiculous 10" bayonet-point mattress needles for doing capping/binding on goalie pads, and I feel like I'm always one wrong move away from killing myself.

I'm glad that link on GSBB had a link for nylon thread, I HATE using the waxed thread I have now. I liked the waxed thread the awl came with but the replacement stuff sucks.

Thanks. Since I'm just trying to stitch together a handle on a $20 bag I'll try and track down one of those needles.

Waxed thread drives me nuts. It's fabulous for doing heavy binding work with the bayonets, but it never feeds properly with the awl.

Bonded nylon thread sews like a dream with an awl.

So my girlfriend had a needle and thread out to fix a button so I figured I'd try my hand at fixing a couple holes in my jock and repairing some straps on my elbow pads. I tried to do a similar idea to the sewing awl with the holes, kind of looping the needle in one end, out the the other and through the loop that was just created. Not sure if it will hold any better but it looked like it was pretty strong that way. For the elbow pads the one strap I did was at the edge of the bicep pad so i could easily go in on one side and out the other (which I did over and over and over again in a number of different ways) to hope that it would hold and so far it's been pretty good.

Now, I need to figure out how to fix the straps that are attached on the inside of the forearm pad, the ones that I can't get to from both sides. Any suggestions?

EDIT, sorry that wasn't supposed to say can.

^http://www.speedystitcher.com/main.html

Really, everybody should keep one of those around. Very easy to use, and the repairs will last longer then the material of the equipment. The pack with 180 yards of thread, the awl and spare needles will run you less then $20.

I replaced the Tuuk Vakar showed before. And if you factor out how dangerous it was, it was probably useable. It was amazingly strong and pretty innovative. It could have serviced him for a game if he needed. But again, that doesn't include how dangerous it was.

I've used professional-grade two-part epoxy to fix parts of my OPS stick blades that start to fray or have chipped. Mix a little up, apply it to the needed area, and it seals up the area very nicely. I've extended the life of a few blades this way, mainly on the heel and toe areas.

When i was growing up my dad owned shoe repair shop, ended up doing all the mods on my equipment. Pants, skates, shouldies, but i think the biggest save was repalming my gloves.

I replaced the Tuuk Vakar showed before. And if you factor out how dangerous it was, it was probably useable. It was amazingly strong and pretty innovative. It could have serviced him for a game if he needed. But again, that doesn't include how dangerous it was.

He shouldn't have been permitted to play in a game with those things.

I've sewn up a couple of things before. The dental floss idea intrigues me. Had no idea.

When I find something I like, I don't really like changing it, so I'll fix it if I can. Which is strange, because I can spend hours in a hockey shop and always want to try the latest and greatest.

Hello everyone. I've been out for a couple of years as I had major shoulder surgery (6-8 month rehab) so while healing I decided to go back to school to get my MBA. I finished school last week and today I took my gear out of the garage and startied the big job of cleaning and repairing in preparation of hitting the ice fairly soon.

I had some minor mold spots so I mixed laundry soap with hot water and put a scrub brush to work. My RBK 5k elbow pads were the worst. A close second were my Nike V14 shins pads. For the tricky spots I used Oxy Clean. I sewed up lots of minor rips and tears. My CCM pants are ancient and on their last legs, but I can't part with them. Perhaps I should get new suspenders though as I couldn't get the mold spots out. The metal buttons wher the suspenders attach to are totally rusted. I even used a needle to clear out all the velcro parts so they would stick better.

Game on!!