Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

predshockey17

Highschool tryouts ?

Depends on how good your team is and what you consider good shape. Sure, you'll get in "good enough" shape if your team is ok, but if your team is good, in short, no. If you want to be good on hockey, in high school you should be focused on it.

You have to make some time for skating, at least 2-3 times a week near tryouts. Public skating is fine if that is all you can find for ice time. It will take a few weeks before tryouts to get your legs back, and you will be smoked by any kid that WAS skating on a split season midget team if you are not skating.

Right said! But it is pretty hard to find good HS hockey camps. Come October, we should all post any good ones we hear about.

Since you already plan on getting "in shape" I can't really recommend you do so but I know from experience what the effects of not doing so are. Tryouts aren't fun when you have done nothing but lie around and do nothing all summer.

It really depends on how good your team is. It would be good to get in shape in general..but if your team isn't that great, then you probably don't need to be in tip top shape.

Up here in alberta we dont have high school hockey teams(, for anyone whos played on a highschool hockey team and now plays in canada or vice versa could you explain the equivalent of highschool hockey in the USA to Alberta.

Up here in alberta we dont have high school hockey teams(, for anyone whos played on a highschool hockey team and now plays in canada or vice versa could you explain the equivalent of highschool hockey in the USA to Alberta.

it depends on the area and schools. The good prep schools are as good, and basically make up or match up with the best midget teams in the country, along with being able to match a majority of the EJHL. The lower teams are awful. It very much depends on the area and team.

I was thinking about training with our HS football coach, but i decided agianst it be it would be training for football not hockey. im still thinking about trying out for football just for the cardio, but theres not many people trying out for the foot ball team so if i ended up making it that would be shitty because i have no intrest in being a football player.

I was thinking about training with our HS football coach, but i decided agianst it be it would be training for football not hockey. im still thinking about trying out for football just for the cardio, but theres not many people trying out for the foot ball team so if i ended up making it that would be shitty because i have no intrest in being a football player.

You can get your same cardio by running, by biking. What ever they do on the field you can do yourself.

you dont want to run miles to get in shape for hockey. you want to do 30- 40 sec agility, accel, and sprint drills.

ex) go on a track or gym, set out cones and sprint from one cone, make a hard stop(turn) and accel to the next. (dont know if i explained it very well, but you can find drills like this online)

you dont want to run miles to get in shape for hockey. you want to do 30- 40 sec agility, accel, and sprint drills.

ex) go on a track or gym, set out cones and sprint from one cone, make a hard stop(turn) and accel to the next. (dont know if i explained it very well, but you can find drills like this online)

I started running 2-3 times a week. No large distances only about 2-3Km's. In doing so I can now play a game of x2 20 mins halves or a game of x4 10 minute quarters and not come off gasping. It gets to a point where you can be so fit that you can skate all game. Aim your fitness to reflect that sort of work out and you will be able to skate at your fastest for longer. :)