Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tokes

Philly: Forsberg, Hatcher, Rathje, Richards, etc

Word is you can expect the Avs to sign another winger in the class of a Bondra or Vinnie D. I agree, in this type of new game, Blake is a better asset than Foote. Also remember that Tanguay's game will blossom as his speed and moves will futher be on display with the clutching and grabbing gone.

Simply put the Avs are just like all the other NHL teams now. I would argue in some areas they are still better off.

Word is you can expect the Avs to sign another winger in the class of a Bondra or Vinnie D. I agree, in this type of new game, Blake is a better asset than Foote. Also remember that Tanguay's game will blossom as his speed and moves will futher be on display with the clutching and grabbing gone.

Simply put the Avs are just like all the other NHL teams now. I would argue in some areas they are still better off.

I agree with you, on Tanguays (SP) game taking off. I think that Hejduk and Svatos will benefit a lot form the new rules too.

Everyone talks about the new, wide-open NHL ... personally I'll believe it when I see it. The elimination of the two-line pass might help, but otherwise it's still the same small ice surface with a lot of big bodies out there. And the NHL doesn't have much credibility on enforcing the obstruction rule ("we're cracking down ... this time we really mean it ... no really, WE REALLY MEAN IT!")

I hope the game opens up more, but it won't surprise me a bit to see the old clutch & grab hockey back again by November.

Everyone talks about the new, wide-open NHL ... personally I'll believe it when I see it. The elimination of the two-line pass might help, but otherwise it's still the same small ice surface with a lot of big bodies out there. And the NHL doesn't have much credibility on enforcing the obstruction rule ("we're cracking down ... this time we really mean it ... no really, WE REALLY MEAN IT!")

I hope the game opens up more, but it won't surprise me a bit to see the old clutch & grab hockey back again by November.

With Walkom as the new director of officiating and the obvious need for improvements to the game, I think they stand a better chance of holding the line this time.

Yea some Colorado fans dont have a clue. If Naslund would have signed with another team you would have similar reactions. Its a people thing not really Colorado.

Uhh, bondra , vinny, Id like too see them go for someone younger, like gange or something. These vets Im not too crazy about.

Word is you can expect the Avs to sign another winger in the class of a Bondra or Vinnie D.  I agree, in this type of new game, Blake is a better asset than Foote.  Also remember that Tanguay's game will blossom as his speed and moves will futher be on display with the clutching and grabbing gone.

Simply put the Avs are just like all the other NHL teams now.  I would argue in some areas they are still better off.

Uhh, bondra , vinny, Id like too see them go for someone younger, like gange or something. These vets Im not too crazy about.

Me too but the cap says otherwise.

I agree that the Avs are still a competitive team, but they won't steamroll over 80% of the league anymore. I still have faith in Aebisher's ability - I dont' think that people remember how they were expecting him to be fully capable as Patrick Roy's replacement while Roy was still active. The year Roy hangs up the skates, eveyone is harping on how the Avs have no goalie...They will definitely miss Foote though, that guy is a WINNER.

On the Flyers, no, I don't believe that they're unstoppable, Forsberg could be awesome if he stays healthy, and Derian Hatcher is imposing, but might suffer under the new NHL rules, and well, Esche isn't Stanley Cup material. He's good enough to get 'em close, but I wouldn't pick the Flyers to win the cup. I will however, have my LeClair jersey re-stitched with "Forsberg" and "21."

At this exact moment in time, if, and it's a big if, Hasek plays decently, I'd pick Ottawa and Philly in the Eastern final, Ottawa in 7. Montreal (if Theodore and Koivu stay) and Jersey should not be far behind. Tampa might be subbed in for Philly if they can resign Khabibulin.

I still have faith in Aebischer's ability

I have nothing against Aebischer, but I haven't seen anything in any of the Avalanche practices/scrimmages that I've ever watched to really distinguish him to me as being significantly more skilled than Suave...or even Budaj (Not that I'm much of a scout), but I definitely hope that this year he'll be able to earn his stripes (or at least more of them).

Then again, I guess that's not entirely true, I think I would consider him as having a significantly cooler head than Roy, my only real evidence being his refusal to meet Hedburg at the redline during the ruckus of 3/8/04 (not to open a can of worms).

I always seemed to hear about Suave being the future of the Avs twine-minding, anyone else observe or hear anything that might have changed this?

(PS: Yes, I like parentheses.)

I don't get Budaj. I've seen him play a lot and there's just something about his style I don't like.

I still don't get the Hatcher signing. I k now he looked bad 'cause he was hurt in Detroit. But still, if Hatcher's making that much even with the new rules I bet Rich Pilon is kicking himself for retiring.

I still don't get the Hatcher signing. I k now he looked bad 'cause he was hurt in Detroit. But still, if Hatcher's making that much even with the new rules I bet Rich Pilon is kicking himself for retiring.

I think they need some toughness and maybe a protector for Pitkanen on D.

It will be interesting to see how well Forsberg does, he is not a tradional player for a Hitchcock system.

'Forsberg' and 'system' just don't sound right together...

I hope he stays healthy.  I'm not a Flyers fan, but he's nice to watch.

I predict either Forsberg or Hitchcock out of Philly by mid-season.. lol

It will be interesting to see how well Forsberg does, he is not a tradional player for a  Hitchcock system.

Why wouldn't he fit in the system? Forsberg's a defensive first player.

Are you talking about the same Forsberg??? lol

He might never have been awarded a Selke but I have never heard of any longstanding complaints about Forsberg defensively.

One of my favorite plays he ever made was in a 5 to 5 tie against the New Jersey Devils in the regular season, perhaps '99 to '00, I can't even remember the score during the play, but it must've been the second period. The Devils go on a rush and appear to score easily, but the puck doesn't end up in the net.

The ESPN crew flashes to a slow-mo replay showing that although Niedermayer or whoever (Elias?) shot the puck right at the suddenly open net, Forsberg was playing back, covering for the fallen and out of position goalie, must've been Roy I guess, and scooped the puck almost immediately after it left his opponents stick, right before it crossed into the net (Similar to Bourque's miracle against L.A., except the puck was on the ice, not in the air).

Although that might be more evidence toward's his superhuman reflexes than anything else, I don't think Forsberg is the type of player that would intentionally clash with a coach, of course, being that I lived in the Dallas area during their back to back Western Conference championships, I can't say I care for Hitchcock very much either, I guess I'm just glad neither Forsberg or Hitchcock ended up in Detroit, no offense to any Wings fans.

I'm just curious Bane, do you have any specific examples of him slacking on D?

I guess my memory has a tendency to overlook stuff like that, but it would be interesting to hear about stuff I might've forgotten.

There's been a history pof him picking his spots on D and being a bit of a floater. The example you mentioned doesn't really show much.

Forsberg does not float on defense he is great in the dzone, plays the body and always has a a good +/-. I think people are severly overrating Phili, they lost a lot of talent, the gained Forsberg, with the way Hatcher played last year I wouldn't be proud with having him and Rathje isn't a Blake or a Pronger by any means. They still don't have a cup winning calibar goalie eiether.