Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fonya

Thornton Gone!

wow thats all i have to say. Growing up in his hometown I'm a huge fan. I thought he'd finish his career there for sure. This sucks I'll never get to see him play now. San Joses got #1 and#2 picks from 97 to lead their team now I think they'll do good.

Yea a "salary dump" so they can get a Modano or Forsberg type of free agent next year. One problem ... who the hell wants to play for the Bruins these days?

Great town and fans. They deserve much better than the POS know as Jacobs!

Honestly, with the new cap in place you really can't drop the blame at Jacobs doorstep anymore. The B's paid right up to the cap but O'Connell made a mistake depending on rookies to play major roles this season. I think this season the blame game starts and ends with O'Connell and Sullivan.

I don't buy the "salary dump to pick up a Modano or Forsberg type player" card when Thornton is clearly in the same league as either of those players, just younger. Modano is signed to Dallas for probably the rest of his career, Forsberg is 32 and when his contract is up and he could potentially sign with Boston when he's going to be 36. Thornton is 26 right now, and I totally think they should have kept him, but maybe that's just me.

The problem I see, is San Jose's offense improves, but they lose their stud D-man. Boston loses out on offense, and I'm not sure if they gain alot on D. Leetch is already there to QB the PP. If it was the offseason, I'd see alot more holes. This just seems to create holes on both teams.

stuart wont be their stud for long what about scott hannon? last time i checked stuart didn't make any team canada teams and hasn't hannon wont a world championship? i wouldn't really care if i traded brad stuart and got joe thornton lol this trade is a joke. they're gonna move murray maybe leetch and maybe samsonov if they dont start winning alot(which they wont). Sucks to be a bruins fan!!

at the beginning of the year Boston owner Jeremy Jacobs believes Bruins fans will see one of the best teams to take to the ice in almost 20 years when NHL play resumes this fall and now he trades thornton?

Even before the NHL lockout, Jeremy Jacobs was one of the most hated team owners in Boston sports history.

The problem I see, is San Jose's offense improves, but they lose their stud D-man. Boston loses out on offense, and I'm not sure if they gain alot on D. Leetch is already there to QB the PP. If it was the offseason, I'd see alot more holes. This just seems to create holes on both teams.

stuart wont be their stud for long what about scott hannon? last time i checked stuart didn't make any team canada teams and hasn't hannon wont a world championship? i wouldn't really care if i traded brad stuart and got joe thornton lol this trade is a joke. they're gonna move murray maybe leetch and maybe samsonov if they dont start winning alot(which they wont). Sucks to be a bruins fan!!

Hannan is extremely overrated. Stuart was left off for the same reasons as McCabe and Aucoin. They have better people at that position. Hannan was a good shut-down guy in the playoffs, but he was embarassed at the World Cup. He will not represent Canada at the olympics. He's a flash in the pan glorified shut-down man. He's solid, but Stuart was their #1 guy. It's like when Foote was in Colorado. He was a great D, but Blake was still their go to D-man.

I doubt Boston dumps Leetch, he'll be difficult to unload until its closer to the deadline. There is still a ton of time left and Boston still has talent, it just appears nobody wants to play for them right now.

I don't buy the "salary dump to pick up a Modano or Forsberg type player" card when Thornton is clearly in the same league as either of those players, just younger. Modano is signed to Dallas for probably the rest of his career, Forsberg is 32 and when his contract is up and he could potentially sign with Boston when he's going to be 36. Thornton is 26 right now, and I totally think they should have kept him, but maybe that's just me.

Agree on all counts. Thornton will just compete for scoring titles in San Jose now...he just needs a dynamo winger...sorry folks, but Cheechoo just doesn't cut it...who else is out there on the wings? That's some 1-2 punch down the middle with Thornton and Marleau...

didn't marleau play the wing in the past? he needs to switch, because that'd be a awesome pp duo.

another one of many sad stupid moves by the bruins. poo'tastic. awesome for the sharks.

There problems defense, and from what i've seen, Raycroft, although a excellent goalie, has the tendency to let in a softy, they should dump him, and let there backup Toivoinen(sp) play, he looked good while raycroft was out, and not to mention, they could probaly pick up a solid defensemen for raycroft

Hannan is extremely overrated. Stuart was left off for the same reasons as McCabe and Aucoin. They have better people at that position. Hannan was a good shut-down guy in the playoffs, but he was embarassed at the World Cup. He will not represent Canada at the olympics. He's a flash in the pan glorified shut-down man. He's solid, but Stuart was their #1 guy. It's like when Foote was in Colorado. He was a great D, but Blake was still their go to D-man.

I doubt Boston dumps Leetch, he'll be difficult to unload until its closer to the deadline. There is still a ton of time left and Boston still has talent, it just appears nobody wants to play for them right now.

so is hannon over rated or solid make up ur mind. how can u possibly compair rob blake to brad stuart. how does compairing blake and foote to hannon and PLUG struart have anything to do with the Thornton trade?

Since you went out of your way to compare Blake to Stuart lets take a look at what they have done.

First of all Brad Stuart has a career high of 9 goals in a season, and a high of only 39 points.

Now we look at Rob Blake a two time 20 goal scorer and over 600 points. Aside from the points Rob Blake is an Olympic and a stanley cup champion. Not to mention a Norris trophey winner.

Brad Stuart will a) Never win a stanley cup B) never make an Olympic team c) and never be even considered for a Norris trophey d) Brad Stuart is a joke and Rob Blake will be in the Hall

And if you think the bruins still have talent and that they will rebound you must be crazy. How hard do you think players like Glen Murray will try now that they have traded their franchise player. The bruins organization has no desire to win and it will also be reflected in the players. Murray Sasonov and Leetch will probably be ditched for plugs like Brad Stuart.

And I think you are being a bit harsh on Stuart and Boston. They still have a very good team with ZHAMNOV, Murrany, Samsanov, Bergeron etc,,,, and a great young blueline with Stuart, Tanabe, Boyton. Thorton's play is also questionable in the playoff situations as well. No I will not write off the Bruins and neither should you

And I think you are being a bit harsh on Stuart and Boston. They still have a very good team with ZHAMNOV, Murrany, Samsanov, Bergeron etc,,,, and a great young blueline with Stuart, Tanabe, Boyton. Thorton's play is also questionable in the playoff situations as well. No I will not write off the Bruins and neither should you

I'll write them off then. :lol:

Zhamnov has been crap all year. Bergeron too, except for week one where he was pretty good (he needs to be way better)...Tanabe is a flop of a first rounder, and besides him, the Boston blueline isn't particularly solid. Boynton is probably the best of the bunch, and that doesn't say much...so basically, the only two guys that are really solid are Samsonov and Murray, and neither is the "hop on my back boys," kind of franchise player...

Zhamnov has been crap all year. Bergeron too, except for week one where he was pretty good (he needs to be way better)...Tanabe is a flop of a first rounder, and besides him, the Boston blueline isn't particularly solid. Boynton is probably the best of the bunch, and that doesn't say much...so basically, the only two guys that are really solid are Samsonov and Murray, and neither is the "hop on my back boys," kind of franchise player...

here here finally someone who knows what their talking about!! i tihnk saba and eazy_b97 should stop posting until they know what their talking about...

I'm still in shock................................................................................................

I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but Mcguire was saying that he talked to many GM's after the deal and most had no clue the trade was happening. Why wouldn't Boston dangle him and see if they could get better return?

Ultimate Panic Move, Theo. I sure am glad I don't live in Boston and root for the Bruins. My season would be shot. Even Sather's Rangers PreNEWNHL waited til January to totally screw up. This Boston team didn't even make it out of November. Sad situation.

The Nucks GM on TSN last night sounded mighty surprised. I guess OC made first possible deal instead of shopping around your FRANCHISE guy. What an idiot. He probably could have 4 players for Joe!

Wow, what a crappy trade, Thornton's been on and off injured for a while so they through him away. It just goes to show that Boston needs...Bobby Orr. Bobby Orr would make everything better. And then the Bruins would win the cup.

I wonder if Glenn Murray will return to his questionable performance now that Joe is gone. Boston is doomed. They should have a fire sale while samsonov and Murray are still hot.

There is more to it than what has come out. Bruins management probably called joe to the carpet and wanted him to lead the team and have good effort. He probably told them to pound sand. They decided he was more of a hindrance than a help. Just surprised that they could not get a top player in return! From what I have read, they did not really shop him around--many NHL coaches did not know he was available for trade.

Please, if you don't know hockey, don't comment on it.

1) Zhamnov has only played 8 games after being out with a shoulder injury. It takes a little time to round out your game. Hard to be crap all year when you haven't played much of it.

2) With some of the injuries, Bergeron has been bounced around and played with just about everyone on the roster. Give him a set line and role for a few games and he'll be just fine.

3) Tanabe may not be a "take control of the game" kind of guy but he is a good defenseman with some nice puck movement and skating abilities. For the price of Scatchard, that was a good deal.

4) Boynton SHOULD be the best of the bunch but has been struggling, most likely because he missed training camp.

5) Boyes is quietly having a nice rookie season and is somewhere around the top 10 in rookie scoring.

I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but Mcguire was saying that he talked to many GM's after the deal and most had no clue the trade was happening. Why wouldn't Boston dangle him and see if they could get better return?

There is a danger of openly shopping a star player, especially if the deal doesn't happen. Joe hasn't been the most intense guy this season but knowing you're on the blocks can hurt motivation even more. Why try for a team that doesn't want you?

The other questions in Boston right now are; How pissed is Murray to lose his buddy and set-up man? What is going through Samsonov's head as the rumored opener of this deal was an even Samsonov for Stuart swap?