Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fonya

**The Official iPod and iTunes Thread**

I have a white first (or maybe second) gen shuffle, the old bubble gum pack-sized one, and it's still kicking. Just over half the memory of the newer shuffles but they still serve their purpose well, plus I have no use for carrying every song I own on one piece of electronic equipment. Just something to tide you over when you're away from a stereo for a while.

does anybody know how to load games on to an ipod touch with out jail breaking. I spent 200 dollars on a 3 year warrenty and i dont want to mess it up

Please tell me you didn't pay $200 for Applecare.

Well, doesn't really matter if you paid $200 for Applecare or the Best Buy "free replacement" warranty, you still got hosed.

This may be among the 10,000 posts in this thread, but I learned about a feature today that I never knew existed and I thought some of you might also find it useful.

Obviously, iTunes and iPod can play Artists, Albums, Genres, Playlists, etc, but what do you do when you want to "code" songs into different categories? You could list multiple Genres and separate by a comma, but that actually creates new and cumbersome Genres. In other words, lets say you had a live version of Edgar Winter's Frankenstein. It's obviously a Rock song, but you might want to classify it also as Live or Instrumental, in case you wanted to quickly be able to pull together all your Live songs. Well, if you add to each Genre, you actually end up with "Rock, Live, Instrumental" or "Pop, Acoustic" or however you've coded it.

Anyway, I discovered a better way to create multiple categories. With the Smart Playlists, you can create conditions that can be dynamic, so whenever you add a song that fits the parameters, it gets added to your Playlist. There are about 25 parameters, such as Artist, Year, Album, Genre, BPM, Time, whatever. What I found most useful is to add your "coding" into the Comments field. Then, if you want to create a Live Playlist, just create a Smart Playlist where the Comments field contains Live. You could add conditions such as live songs earlier than 1980.

This is so much more useful than the organization I had been doing in the past, so hopefully it could help some of you.

From wiki

Shortly after the iPod touch was released (firmware release 1.1.1), hackers were able to "jailbreak" the device through a TIFF exploit. The resulting application, "installer.app," enabled the user to download a selection of unofficial third-party programs. Some of these give the user more control over the iPod touch than is officially available. Servicing an iPod touch after jailbreaking or other modifications made by unofficial means is not covered by Apple's warranty.

I'm having a shitty day. I've had a first gen nano 4g for over 2 years and was very happy with it, well on my way into the gym this morning I dropped it in a puddle. It was able to play the song but not adjust volume or see anything for about 15mins, then fortunately after that it was fine. I get into my truck and plug it into my adaptor and it shuts off and the clickwheel freezes..shit. I get home plug it in, it can charge but still no click wheel, I figure it is toast and I cant live without an ipod so off to walmart I go and pick up an 8g nano. I get home and my ipod is working again, I just spent 200 bux for nothing. Now I gotta decide if I should return it (if I can for no reason?) or just keep it as I suppose ipods do eventually wear out.? The battery isnt what it used to be thats for sure, do you think I should just keep it, or would walmart have no issues taking it back?

Here's a quick question:

Is there a way to add the song I'm currently listening to to an On-The-Go playlist without actually going through my archives, highlighting its name, and holding down the center button? I ask this because I listen to a lot of my music on random shuffle, and it would be nice to create a quick playlist of songs that catch my fancy as I'm listening to them.

Okay guys, I need help.

I broke my Ipod nano 8gb (video) screen last week. I'm pretty much stuck on what to do. Do I send it back to Apple? Or can I buy a kit and do it myself like the older iPods (30,60GB).

Any help guys?

Is anybody aware of a software, preferably for a Mac, which can automatically trim excess silence from MP3's, particularly with a batch mode? The only thing I've found in my search is MPTrim, which is for Windows and appears to be one song at a time.

I've been playing iTunes a more often lately and I'll notice that nothing is playing. When I switch over, I'll see that there could be anywhere between 2 seconds to 12 seconds of silence at the end of a song. I have software that can trim song lengths, but I have to open songs individually. I've also discovered that iTunes allows the ending time to be set, then Convert To MP3, but when I moved the new song to overwrite my previous song, the old version appeared to remain. Besides, that's too much work to have to notice when individual songs have excess silence, so I'd like to find software which essentially tells the dog to go fetch.

Is anybody aware of a software, preferably for a Mac, which can automatically trim excess silence from MP3's, particularly with a batch mode? The only thing I've found in my search is MPTrim, which is for Windows and appears to be one song at a time.

I've been playing iTunes a more often lately and I'll notice that nothing is playing. When I switch over, I'll see that there could be anywhere between 2 seconds to 12 seconds of silence at the end of a song. I have software that can trim song lengths, but I have to open songs individually. I've also discovered that iTunes allows the ending time to be set, then Convert To MP3, but when I moved the new song to overwrite my previous song, the old version appeared to remain. Besides, that's too much work to have to notice when individual songs have excess silence, so I'd like to find software which essentially tells the dog to go fetch.

Im not sure if this is what your talking about in itunes but you can right click on the song and hit get info. In the options tab you can set the end time and start time. I've done this and it takes only a few seconds to set and doesn't create a new song file so you don't have to add or delete any songs.

I learned about that feature recently, but I'm looking for something a bit more automated. A couple of seconds per song isn't much time, but it adds up over hundreds of songs. More importantly, however, is I need to pay attention to each song to determine if it has extra silence; i.e., the display says nine seconds are remaining but the song is either over or inaudible.

I'd like to find a software that can measure a song's beginning or ending and determine that it's below X decibels. If so, I'd want it to cut out the offending X seconds. I believe MPtrim can do this (although I believe it's Windows-based), but I think it works one song at a time, versus being able to work on a group of songs.

Does anybody have the new Ipod touch that i could ask about if the applications you download after you unlock it take up much memory. I don't wanna shell out $400+ for a 32GB touch ipod. I currently have 10 GB of music and would like to just buy a 16gb but don't wanna have to upgrade later.

hey i just started a new topic and completely forgot to search "hey guys i'm looking to by an ipod nano, just wondering before i shell out the money if anyone has heard of any new line of ipods coming out soon. i can't seem to find anything on the net but i also don't really konw where to look.". that was my question though. anyone know anything?

Well there's a lot to consider..

A ) what will you be using it for?

music, videos, do you want internet and application abilites?

B ) how much room do you need ?

how many gigabytes

C ) How much are you willing to spend

The new Ipod touches seem nice, I am looking to purchase one, but If you are just looking for something to play music and thats it you could pick up any old iPod on ebay that is a couple of years old that doesn't have the bells and whistles like the new ones.

how many gigabytes

The new Ipod touches seem nice, I am looking to purchase one, but If you are just looking for something to play music and thats it you could pick up any old iPod on ebay that is a couple of years old that doesn't have the bells and whistles like the new ones.

what i meant was that i've decided to buy the 'new' nano but was wondering if a new line of nanos is going to be released within the next year-ish.

how many gigabytes

what i meant was that i've decided to buy the 'new' nano but was wondering if a new line of nanos is going to be released within the next year-ish.

With tech gadgets...you'll almost always be a step behind. If you wait for the new Nanos (or whatever)...your only 6 months away from something bigger and better.

Okay guys, I need help.

I broke my Ipod nano 8gb (video) screen last week. I'm pretty much stuck on what to do. Do I send it back to Apple? Or can I buy a kit and do it myself like the older iPods (30,60GB).

Any help guys?

Also try iRepairSquad . My friends business based here in central Illinois. great service and prices.

For some reason, with my iPhone, when I change a contact in Yahoo, it won't update on my phone. It seems like my iPhone is the master and will instead update Yahoo...is there a way to make my Yahoo contacts the master?

Maybe I'm missing something here, but this is getting increasingly more annoying.

I find open wifi service for my iPod Touch and connect. I get a check mark next to the service/server in the Wifi controls...and I see the icon in the top left for service (usually strong...the 3 bars). But, when I open Safari, or Weather, or any of the web based apps, they say "No server found".

Could it be a firewall beyond the initial server that blocks my use of that network???

When you connect to a wi-fi server, check out to see if it has a dns IP address listed. If it doesn't you are connected to their network but not the internet.