Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bane

Looking for new wheels

With the revisions....

How the hell do you decide which (plat, gold, bronze) will work for you?

They all say "lightest wheel ever made" and the price point is identical.

The wheel matrix is nice....but is it really useful?

Anyone mixing their wheels based on that?

Revisions setups work based on weight. If you're not sure whether you want speed or grip, I'd try the combo setup to get a good overall setup.

With the revisions....

How the hell do you decide which (plat, gold, bronze) will work for you?

They all say "lightest wheel ever made" and the price point is identical.

The wheel matrix is nice....but is it really useful?

Anyone mixing their wheels based on that?

The Matrix will give you guidance as to what setup to use.

The price for the 3 models of Variant wheels are the same because:

1) same amount of materials are used therefore they all weigh the same

2) the manufacturing process is the same for all three

The difference between the Platinum, Gold and Bronze is the stiffness of the TORUS and the hardness of the urethane. Changing stiffness and hardnesses does not affect the price of the wheel.

FYI - The Platinum has the most flexible TORUS and softest urethane, which is why it is only recommended for players under 150 lbs. As you move into the Gold and Bronze...the TORUS gets stiffer and the urethane gets harder. This concept was developed so that as players grow and get heavier...they can adjust their wheel setups to get same amount of grip/speed as they did when they were lighter. It is all proportionate.... a 135lb player on Platinums will get the same amount of grip/speed as a 190lb player on Bronze. But Bronze wouldnt work for a 135lb player because the wheel would just be too stiff and too hard for him and so on. This is why we developed the Matrix. And this is how a player can get maximum performance no matter what type of player he is. Forwards may like more speed, defenseman may like more grip...vice versa...whatever.

Hope this helps and gives you all a better understanding how the Revision wheels function and the concept behind them.

Thanks,

i personally do use the wheel matrix. when i first started out on revisions i was asked my weight and i used a platinum-gold-gold-platinum set-up. I used these for a while and then as i started to gain weight i moved to a all gold set up.. the chart helps you out especially when you first use revisions and give you a more comfortable feel on them.. then if you feel you need more grip or speed.. change your style

What would I use if I weighed 145? Would I go for gold or plat or a mix?

My weight is about the same as you...Im right around 150lbs. I went with the all gold set up I havent tried them yet but thats what I was reccomend to use to start out and then go from there, I should get them tommorrow and Ill post a review when i try them out a few times.

im on a all gold set up and im 165. I used a mix when i was about your weight. I used platinum-gold-gold-platinum. You can do what ever...if you are hard on your wheels golds would be fine.. but if its your first time using revisions i recommend you using a mixture to sort of find what you like and maybe what you need more of on the next go round (grip or speed)

Double...that sounds like a cool set up....how much do you weigh? And how is the grip with that set up...I havent thought about mixing wheel combos that could be interesting....

im assuming thats like a gold bronze bronze gold set up with revisions.. again revision and rinkrat have 2 different set ups but if that works then your golden..i just prefer the same feel the all my wheels.. thats one of the most important parts of the game

edit: i was thinking how the different torus and mtech theorys would change my original thought.

CSW...Got my Gold Revisions Friday, Im skating them tommorrow...Are they going to turn me from a RR man to a Revision man....lol, just thought Id let ya know... all this Revision buzz on here with yourself and others I had to get a set to try out...

haha lol i personally just love the revisions.. if you like them then thats great.. i do. If you like them but like rinkrats more then thats fine too.. im just sharing my feedback on how they performed for me and how much i like them. Thats what these message boards are for. Every person has a different feel for a product.. its like what stick a person likes.. maybe a synergy,hex1.. they all have different feels to them.

No doubt, Im impressed with the wheels visually, they look great and feel really light...Im sure Ill like em...and Iceburg yep I skate on sportcourt and Ill let ya know tommorrow how they work for me, but like CSW said its all a matter of personal prefrence...

Double...that sounds like a cool set up....how much do you weigh? And how is the grip with that set up...I havent thought about mixing wheel combos that could be interesting....

im about 180 lbs, so far so good with the revision and hot shot setup. I'm going really fast and the grip is decent but nothing to brag about. I can definitely feel that it takes less effort for me to accelerate with the Revisions on though.

yeah your start up will be quicker because of the stiffer inner torus. Even after stopping you can still accelerate extremely fast on revisions and takes less effort to start skating again also because of the rebound of the wheels.

Recommend Revision over any wheel. I have had two sets of revision wheels and I love them, I came up on a free pair of Labeda Fuzions I have broke two wheels in two weeks and they are all either now cracking or on the verge of cracking. Hands down revision is making the best product right now.

I'm considering picking up some new wheels myself (I do have two 4 packs of old Kuzak Sportcourt wheels I could use...but they were cheap years ago when I got them and I imagine they would be vastly inferior to current top end wheels), wanted some advice and didn't want to start a new thread.

I've done some searching and have read this thread. I've gathered that both Revision and Rink Rat make quality wheels that people like and there are some fans of Labeda Fuzions ect as well. The wheels on the skates I used last year are Red Star Sniper wheels with mini-bearings and one Labedda Gripper on each skate - I used them on an indoor cement surface with the Quest 1 rocker skates and the grip was OK with the exception of the first few games of the season when the floor was quite dusty.

This year I'm switching to a league that plays all of its games on Sport Court and Spider Court (varies from week to week, but always one of the two surfaces). I have some new Nike Pro STK (like the V12) boots I bought from another modsquad member. I'm planning to put a comp rocker chassis on those and either use some of the existing wheels I have or buying some new wheels and bearings as well. I'll be playing in the A division as a friend asked me to join his team and while I think I can play in this division if I bring my best game and effort to every game it will be a step up from the last few years where I've usually played in the second highest division in the other league - I want to make sure I get the right wheel combo in order to perform at my best.

I'm used to using the rocker chassis so I think I'm going to stick with that (I know most of the elite players use either hi-lo or the hummer chassis and I've read the rocker threads). I've used an all 76mm set up before as well as a 72mm set up on the second wheel. The Revisions only seem to come in 80mm or 72mm sizes right now so I don't think they're currently an option for me. I may order the Comp Rocker Chassis from 1800faceoff.com and noticed they had Rink Rat Hot shots for $5.99 per wheel - they only had the 76mm Red Wheels. I don't know if the red wheels are the right durometer I should be getting for the Sport Court Surface and teh Rocker Chassis. I'm 6'2" and 210lbs - I want to get something that's going to provide good grip, but won't make me feel like I'm skating in sand and will hopefully last the rollerhockey season (14 games played once a week plus playoffs and a tournament).

I've read that guys over 200lbs should use a higher durometer wheel, however; I've also read that for the rocker chassis the grippiest wheel possible should be used. 1800faceoff also has the Hornet wheels in 76mm Yellow at $8.99 a pop. I don't have to get either wheel from 1800faceoff, however; I wanted to get a new chassis instead of taking the one off my old skates so I could save those as a backup pair and 1800faceoff seems to be one of the only places that have the comp rocker chassis - if I ordered the wheels from the same place I would save on shipping.

I've been playing for a long time and have played on concrete, wood, and sport court, but have never spent a lot on wheels. I've always just used wheels that came stock on the skates or bargain wheels I found at $1 per wheel or less. I've managed to get by like that, but this year I think I'm going to need a good set of wheels to perform at my best in the division I'll be playing in. Does anyone have any specific recommendations for the wheel setup I should invest in for use on Sport/Spider Court with the rocker chassis? If I go with the Hot Shots or Hornets (which I'm leaning toward since they come in 76mm unlike the highly praised Revisions) which colour/durometer should I look for? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I'm 5'9", 220-230 and am currently skating on 76A Hornet and have used the 76A Hot Shots with no real issues on durability. I am terrible on wheels, so any wheel that will last me more than 6 weeks is golden in my book, and the RR wheels have proven themselves to take a beating and keep on going. I have not tried Revision, and every wheel from Labeda I've ever used on Sportcourt is good for about three to four weeks and then loses all grip and becomes useless other than as an outdoor wheel. Hyper Unity and the such are worse where I'm lucky to get two weeks worth of grip out of them and the one time I tried Factory's.

had there been some of this newer wheel tech on the market 3 years ago, I might still be using a Rocker chassis..I would just crunch traditional 76A wheels and have flat spots after a couple games etc..so i would avoid going too soft with the newer stuff on the market..

It says 76mm coming soon, I'd email Nabeel and see what the ETA is..they could be rolling out soon...

Thanks for the input Jim and sdcopp.

Revision has 76mm wheels available in Platinum, Gold and Bronze models. We apologize that our website is not up-to-date.

Revision is certainly another option now then if they're available in 76mm. I noticed that the wheel matrix uses the Hi-Lo chassis as an example - this makes sense because that's the most popular type of chassis. Would the matrix apply the same way with the rocker chassis or would I have to make certain adjustments?

Also, does anyone know of a site that sells them that's either in Canada or ships via USPS to Canada? I don't mind investing in some wheels, but want to avoid a $40 UPS or Fedex brokerage fee.