Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DigDug

Why do people become goalies?

It just seems to be such a different experience and not one you normally think of as attracting you to the sport.

I know that what, for the most part, piqued my interest in hockey as a young kid was the fast-paced nature of the game across the 'field' and the speed that ice-skating provided. Neither of these things fully translate to the position of goalie, who is relatively stationary and dosn't engage in the puck-handling and passing that made hockey so much fun to watch.

I'd love to hear from the goalies here, on what made them become goalies.

Most of the sports I play, I play goalie (football/soccer, field hockey or any sport that I end up play with friends). I step up with the pads on cos of that rush you get from trying to blocking shots, which make you feel invincible, and the fact that your team depends on you more than any other player.

I wanted to be a goalie because I was as slow as molasses. Then i learned how to shoot...

Hello Mr. Andreychuk, its a pleasure to see you posting here.

I am a goalie for many reasons. One of the biggest appeals to me is the ability to control a game. It is a huge rush to shut down a team, breakaway, etc. and to be able to motivate a bummed team by pulling off what seems to be a spectacular save. The ability to toy with a shooter, so you know where he is going before he even does. Also because its so hard. (Girls actually find it kinky for a guy to be flexible and do the splits. ) :P

I love to yell at defencemen... And I have plenty more reasons to do it as a goalie than I had when I was a forward

And also... I m' masochist and being shooted on turns me on :rolleyes:

I've been filling in at goal durning drop in games and I think next season I'll join a team as their goalie.

I love playing D, I love slamming punks againest the boards that laugh at the slow old man trying to play. Ever see what a Mack trucks does to a Honda and you get some idea of what my hits are like.

But a few months ago I played in net and really enjoyed it.

For openers... it nice getting to play the full 60 mins. As a D I might get 10 to 20 mins of ice time if lucky.

I'm also sick and tired of busting my a#$ to protect my zone and some young smarta@# hot shot blows the game trying some fancy move rather than keeping to the basics. As a goalie... the lost is on you. The goalie that stops the most shots wins the game. Usually you only have one or two goalies so your not warming the stupid bench.

Also goalies in this area are in demand so the get free play or reduced fees for alot of games ( yeah I'm a cheapskate ).

And theres something special about being a goalie... being a target is not for the weak of heart... most prople don't have the balls to be the last line of defence for the team.

Besides all that... the judge just singed my crazy papers so I might as well be a goalie.

Oh yeah... and I like the gear... think it looks kewl!

Personally, I chose goalie because I wanted to wear the cool looking pads. This eventually wore off and I(and the coach..) realized I had an awesome shot which led me to play forward. I like forward alot more now, which is why I play it primarily, but I still do like strapping on the cool looking pads from time to time.

I did because we only ever had one (goalie) as kids playing street hockey and thought it was a lot more fun to stop all of the shots than to score the goals. Now I play ice hockey and switch between goalie and right wing fairly regularly. I'm not overweight nor a crappy skater.

Playing goal is definitely a punishment for anyone's finances though! :P

here are a few signs you might be better off as a goalie... (not in any particular order)

~ you aren't a team player but want to play on a team

~ you get more satisfaction denying someone else from achieving their goals than you would getting your own

~ you are a control freak

~ you would rather play the whole game or not at all

~ you think the gear is really kewl looking B)

~ you thrive in pressure situations

many if not all of these apply to every goalie that I know...

because they want to play the full 60 minutes...at least that's the reason my brother gives me.

That's the reason I switched. Wyy play 15 minutes when you can play the whole game!

Funny thing is I've never seen a golaie put their hands up and say well that goal was my fault. I play D and dont mind admitting when I've made a mistake but on soft goals the goalie normally just had a mini freak out at someone!

Funny thing is I've never seen a golaie put their hands up and say well that goal was my fault. I play D and dont mind admitting when I've made a mistake but on soft goals the goalie normally just had a mini freak out at someone!

I always take blame when it's my fault. :o However when the defenseman just backs up and let the shooter get within 10 ft for an easy shot, well.... the blame goes elsewhere. At least force the guy wide, but noooooo

I always take blame when it's my fault. :o However when the defenseman just backs up and let the shooter get within 10 ft for an easy shot, well.... the blame goes elsewhere. At least force the guy wide, but noooooo

If your one of the few goalies that accepts blame fair play.

From my experiences most goalies find it 10 times easier to focus elsewhere. Of course in the instance you mentioned the goalie wasnt at fault.

But what if a D man for arguments sake just floats a soft in. Goalies view wasnt impeded and it goes in somehow. Even then most goalies go how did that shot(in reality more of a pass) get through!

Goalies can be touchy about shots from the outside. Had one show up at an open a while back. I had never skated with him before, so I asked him how he wanted guys cutting to the outside handled. He said push them wide and let them shoot.

Cool easy to do. First guy comes in, I give him the opening to the outside, he takes it and I start to take away the time and space, so he cranks the slapper from between the blue line and the circle right along the boards. Boom! Nothing but net.

Ah well, shit happens. But it kept happening with any of the D. 2, 3, 4 times. So, after the 2nd time it happens while I'm on the ice, I ask the guy "you want me to change up here and try to keep them from shooting on the wide rush?". He barked at me, "NO! I got them!"

So for another 1/2 hour, Boom, Swish, Boom, Swish. He finally took off with about 15 minutes left in the skate. I haven't seen him since.

some goalies play because there are overwieght, no offense but thats why patrick roy started playing when he was a kid

And because he said he was so amused by the pads...