Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jjtt99

Pros and cons to same shot on wing

Hi folks.

What's the collective opinion of having the same shot on the same wing?

For the sake of this discussion let's go with a left shot on left wing. Is that better than a right shot on left wing?

I'm guessing "depends" is part of the answer. If so, what does it depend on?

Thanks!

P.S. I'd offer an opinion but 95% of the time I play centre :blink:

I don't like playing the same shot on the same wing. In most cases, it's much easier to get off a one-timer if you're on the off-wing. I also like being left handed on the right side because the forehand to back hand deke is much easier.

Usually easier to get the puck out and puts them in a better defensive position. Takes away the one-time and shooting angle down the wing though.

Shots are usally easier to get off when you play on your oppisite side (ex: shoot RH, play left wing) while most dekes are usally easier to perform while on the same side (ex: RH, playing right wing)

just from my own expirenece.

I play right wing & I'm right but my partner and I are such good friends and we know where were gonna be we can just switch up and no probem at all its like second nature during the breakout and since were both right we basically play whatever no arguments about whos where and no well you had it last time it just works. Im on my off wing about 65 percent of the time and I much prefer shooting over there. Quicker shot plus if you wanna cut into the middle once your inside the other teams blue line then your not shooting on your backhand its pure forehand.

It's starting to sound like same shot, same wing is more defensive. While the other is more offensive. Hmmm...interesting. I guess the same would go for D eh?

It is easier to give and receive passes with your forehand. However, I like playing my off wing because I feel like it gives me more options. If I take the defender wide, I shield the puck with my dominant side and am in position to shoot on my forehand when I make the cut to the net. Also, the off wing gives me a better chance to shoot blocker side (I'm right handed so the left side is my off wing). I don't have to shoot across my body as much to find the tope left corner.

I'm a left hand shot and I play the right wing. I find it easier to be the defenceman goin' in on the back and I just feel more comfortable that way.

It's starting to sound like same shot, same wing is more defensive. While the other is more offensive. Hmmm...interesting. I guess the same would go for D eh?

Pretty much. If you watch NHL power plays, the point men are almost always a right hander on the left point and a left hander on the right point, whereas on normal defense you often see right handers on RD and left handers on LD since that puts most passing lanes on your forehand.

It's starting to sound like same shot, same wing is more defensive.  While the other is more offensive.  Hmmm...interesting.  I guess the same would go for D eh?

Pretty much. If you watch NHL power plays, the point men are almost always a right hander on the left point and a left hander on the right point, whereas on normal defense you often see right handers on RD and left handers on LD since that puts most passing lanes on your forehand.

I've also noticed this.

It's easier for slapshots and 1-timers for right handed D to be on the left point when on the PP.

I always seem to have a hard time digging the puck out of the boards or receiving a board pass when I'm on the left side as I am a RH defenseman.

You can pass or shoot without changing body position or angle so it's harder for the goalie to read. It's easier to carry the puck and go around a player to the outside since you don't have to toe drag to get the puck to the outside. It's also easier to catch passes that are in front of you.

Im LH on the LW and i like it better than playing on the RW.

Its just PP, like everything in hockey

I play right wing & I'm right but my partner and I are such good friends and we know where were gonna be we can just switch up and no probem at all its like second nature during the breakout and since were both right we basically play whatever no arguments about whos where and no well you had it last time it just works. Im on my off wing about 65 percent of the time and I much prefer shooting over there. Quicker shot plus if you wanna cut into the middle once your inside the other teams blue line then your not shooting on your backhand its pure forehand.

i agree, weird but i also love making passes from right wing to any type of shot on the left

I have a friend who plays lh on the left wing, he has a sweet wrister, so scores alot of wristers top right across the goalie, also a low shot is hard for the goalie to control so that gives alot of rebounds. The other advantages are can recieve on the forehand and pass forehand, and he feels he can protect the puck better on this side

I'm right handed and have always preferred playing on the left wing. Seems easier to pull moves and take shots. It's also quite good when there's a LH player on the RW with me, usually makes for some nice combinations!

on a side note, im RH and wish i was a LH shot, i used to think it was a bs theory, but your dominate hand on top of the stick does make things easier, with that being said i usually play center or LW, almost never play rw, just a PP

On a related note, does anyone else find they change their game when switching from their off-wing to the other side? I tend to pull up and shoot a lot more on my off wing and drive the net a lot moreon my "normal" side.

I prefer same-side. I'm RH and stay on the C/RW side and prefer that more than anything. On PPs I'll pretty much be slotted around the off-hand face-off dot, but still don't like it. I prefer to one-time a drop pass than a cross-ice feed.

On a related note, does anyone else find they change their game when switching from their off-wing to the other side? I tend to pull up and shoot a lot more on my off wing and drive the net a lot moreon my "normal" side.

I am actually the opposite. I tend to handle the puck more often and take it to the net on the off wing and when playing "normal' I am more likely to shoot (slapshots/long wristers are better) and pass it off.

If I'm off-wing I stop and look for a pass if I'm the entry forward. If I'm the 3rd forward I angle towards the other side for a 1-timer. On the power play I end up at the half boards on that side.

If I'm on the "proper" wing I deke and drive better to the net. I need to practice a tight curl for that side. On the power play I end up at the net on that side.

im right handed, and i usually play right defense. when im on wing, i play rw. im just more comfortable, and i can get very good shots off quick from playing 4-5 times a week, and going to a lot of stick and pucks. i also think it is easier to screen the goalie when the LW has it in his corner, because if he passes it through the slot, u can tip it in