Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whip

Stage Fright

Ya, so I have some presentation tommorow where I have to analize a poem, well thats just great cuz I have a real problem with spekaing to a class of people, now the audiences are my classmates but still everytime i get up there my voice chagnes slight, my mouth is dry and my hands shake like crazy and eventually my feet starts to shake. I dont think this is a disease or anything I think its just over nerviouness. So has anyone encoutered something like that and is there anyway to prevent shaking cuz it looks really bad.

Guest 2048

Ask if the school has some sort of podium they can let you use to rest your hands on. Otherwise, just relax and realize that you have nothing to fear, these people are just your classmates, and even if they were more important people, I'd still say to believe you have nothing to fear as long as the speech is well written. The more confident you are, the better you'll do. Oh, make sure to speak loudly and slowly enough that everyone can hear you and understand what you're saying.

When i do a presentation i practice at home by myself listening to like a song all by myself. Then when i'm up in front of everyone i just think of the song and i don't even notice i'm talking to the class.

Keep your eyes moving. IF you're in a classroom, look down at the back of the first row, and then start going up to the front, then move on to the next row. If you stand there and stare, you'll freeze up. Breathe deeply.

I have to do a pretty embarassing part for a play, not that I chose to be in it in the first place, but I have to on friday. I think the more confident the better, so the people don't feel bad for you and then they like you more. So, I guess be yourself more then reading from a paper, and be confident.

I have to do a pretty embarassing part for a play, not that I chose to be in it in the first place, but I have to on friday.  I think the more confident  the better, so the people don't feel bad for you and then they like you more. So, I guess be yourself more then reading from a paper, and be confident.

O man I just plan on grasping the podium, have minmum eye contact and read off a paper. I hate presentations, i can play hockey in front of a huge crowd but getting up and doing something like that is just immposible for me, its just the way iam and iam not a very confident guy.

I always picked one person in the middle of the back row and talked to them. Maybe the occasional glance to one side or the other, but primarily one person. It's ewasier to talk to that one person in the back as everyone will hear you and anyone in the middle of the room may think you're looking at them.

I used to have this when I was starting to play gigs with my band. I would just stand there and play and look down. Then I realized, well who really cares what these people think about me, I am happy with myself and if they don't like me too bad. Just try and think of it like that. They aren't going to laugh or whatever, and if they do they are just immature. Also this helped me out alot at first. If you have any friends in the class, just get him/her to sit in the middle (or close to) and talk to them, and inbetween breaks in the reading look around a little, but nonchalontley(sp), and then go back to looking at your buddy and you will do fine.

Guest Datsyuk*13

When ever i have to do a speech or whatever i just pick 3 spots.

One on the back wall

One on the side wall

And one on the other side wall. And just keep rotating back and fouthr between them it looks like your looking at the Audience and they cant even tell.

picture everyone in the crowd naked

my teacher told us to NEVER do this (or picture them in their underwear) because u crack up and it screws your whole presentation. Just take a deep breath and present calmly. Try not to race through it.

I use to have the same problem years ago. Now I wont accept a job unless I can present in front of people as I find it fun.

Its all confidence. Go up there and realize that its not big deal. Have fun with what you are doing and get the audience to particpate. Ask them questions and put your personality into it. You may have fun.

Being a High School debater I give speeches and presentations all of the time to audiences large and small. One tip I can give you is that if you are worried about the audience, don't look at them. Scan back and forth with your head at the back wall or back row, just don't make it overly obvious. To anyone sitting in the audience it will look as though you are keeping eye contact with them. Pretty much what Datsyuk said.

Also using notecards seems to help instead of typing the entire thing out word for word.

If I can offer an other help just let me know :)

Guest Datsyuk*13

I used to hate doing speeches but now i really have fun doing them. I just find you have to put a little humour in it and that relaxes you and just have fun.

Well I totally bombed, raced through my presnetation but I did a good job of giving eye contact and projecting my voice so everyone could hear me.

Thanks a lot for helping me through that tough time, now with that out of the way I dont have to worry.

Thanks for the valuable tips

The only advice I would have would be let loose. Have the kind of attitude thats like "so what". I think the most nervous people are the ones that worry the most about it. Also maybe act like your talking to a group of your friends.

EDIT- Woops didn't see the last post.

Just relax, focus and think that you're better than everyone out there, or just pretend you know these people well and you're having a simple discussion. It's kinda strange but if you think you're better at public speaking, you have confidence and it doesn't matter. I've blanked out before but I just make an ass out of myself and whatnot. Nonetheless, just keep your eyes moving but not so fast that it looks like you'll have a seizure or something but relax.