Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Edge

Protein shakes: Effects on hockey

Okay, during the periods that I work out pretty often, I always have a Protein shake afterwards. Now, after talking to a couple kids on my team who have taken them, and stopped, they said they did so because it slowed them down on the ice?

Now, I just need the facts...Do protein shakes have the potential to slow the drinker down on the ice or not? I never noticed anything but if it is true, I don't want to be taking it.

Thanks all you health experts :)

i don't see how it can slow you down from taking the shakes. i can see how working out/doing heavy lifting can slow you down if you're not working out your muscles that you use for skating. and if you're taking protein shakes after doing that kind of a workout, yes you can associate it with slowing you down. but it's not because of the shake.

Do protein shakes have the potential to slow the drinker down on the ice or not?

If you take the right type in the right amount, they might give you the runs. :o

protein shakes wont slow you down at all. They are a matter of convience, (fast easy protien) If you wanted to sit around and eat chicken and tuna all day long you wouldn't need shakes. But really they are extreamly good for you and should be a staple of your workout program ( taken right after you work out). Your friends slowing down was prolly either 1) the result of something else or 2) just in their heads. Theres no way a protien shake will slow you down on the ice.

If your looking for a quality one, optimums 100% whey gold standard is the best shake out there. tastes awesome too.

protein shakes wont slow you down at all. They are a matter of convience, (fast easy protien) If you wanted to sit around and eat chicken and tuna all day long you wouldn't need shakes. But really they are extreamly good for you and should be a staple of your workout program ( taken right after you work out). Your friends slowing down was prolly either 1) the result of something else or 2) just in their heads. Theres no way a protien shake will slow you down on the ice.

If your looking for a quality one, optimums 100% whey gold standard is the best shake out there. tastes awesome too.

what flavor do you like the best?

thanks a lot :)

I'm just using EAS Whey...tastes fine(chocolate flavor) Glad to hear it doesn't slow you down. :huh:

thanks a lot :)

I'm just using EAS Whey...tastes fine(chocolate flavor) Glad to hear it doesn't slow you down. :huh:

Protein is what your body uses to build muscles. Most people will drink it right before a workout because it will help them build better. Don't drink them if you aren't going to work out because it will turn pretty much directly to fat.

Also, make sure you still drink LOTS of water.. Protein shakes are thick and might weigh you down a little in that your body isn't getting enough water.

Don't drink them if you aren't going to work out because it will turn pretty much directly to fat.

Not true at all. I drink a protein shake every morning for breakfast since I don't have time or the desire to eat a full meal. With proper diet and exercise I've lost 35 pounds since October and I'm in the best shape of my life.

Protein shakes are a great meal supplement and also great after a workout as mentioned above.

there are some medical issues, if you take in too much protein, you can pee protein or something, damage your liver? cant remember, so ask your doctor...

also if your lactose intolerant/allergic, check to see if the protein mix you are buying is lactose free, as most have some amount of lactose.

no i'm not lactose intolerant, and I only take it right when i get home from a workout, so I don't think too much would be a problem. Also I drink plenty of water, so that's fine. Thanks again for the responses.

A high protein shake may make you feel full, and thus slow.

Protein is harder for your body to digest. So if you take alot (more than 12-16oz shake) or high protein (30gs or more) it tends to fill you up, and you then you "feel" slower because your body is trying to digest and using energy to do so. Think of yourself after a big meal.

I have switched to only using shakes that have less than 30gs of protein. That is all your body can fully intake anway, the rest just turns into calories. I also throw 1/2 cup of carbohydrate powder. It's great for natural energy that your body needs to operate during workouts.

Now, I just need the facts...Do protein shakes have the potential to slow the drinker down on the ice or not? I never noticed anything but if it is true, I don't want to be taking it.

Thanks all you health experts :)

No it won't slow you down, they're full of it. It might sit in your stomach if you take it right before playing though.

How can you say what the best shake out there is? Do you have your own research labs for hockey players?

there are some medical issues, if you take in too much protein, you can pee protein or something, damage your liver? cant remember, so ask your doctor...

those "studies" are bollocks. They've done long term studies of intake of large amounts of protien, and nothing has come up. Maybe the occasional kidney or liver that was already damaged. But protein will do nothing in it's own right to hurt you.

I have switched to only using shakes that have less than 30gs of protein. That is all your body can fully intake anway, the rest just turns into calories. I also throw 1/2 cup of carbohydrate powder. It's great for natural energy that your body needs to operate during workouts.

Why don't you just use a MRP? I find that they normally work better for during workouts or times I can't grab food, and don't end up tasting nasty.

I dont know about that. It is recommended that you take 1g for every lb. you weigh. for optimal muscle gain

I dont know about that. It is recommended that you take 1g for every lb. you weigh. for optimal muscle gain

You only need 10-15% of your calories to be from protein, I think your body weight is completely irrelevant, after that point, all you're doing is pissing out the excess protein since you can't store it.

let me rephrase, it IS considered by most, to be the best all around protien shake out there. The only time it ever falls short is if you are on a heavy bulking cycle, as it isnt loaded down with alot of carbs or extra fat and calories. The carbs are fine as you can easily add them a number of ways to your post workout shake.

go to www.bodybuilding. com and do some research. you'll see that Im right.

It is recommended you take 1g to 1.5g of protein per lb of bodyweight, you're right about that.

But that is total, for the day! Not at one time! Latest research shows that the human body can only successfully digest 25-30gs of protein at one time (or roughly once in 30-45 mins). So if you take a 50g shake, your body is only actually digesting 30gs of it for muscle use, while the remaining 20gs is simply turned to calories, and not being used to rebuild muscle.

It's not really a bad thing to take in extra calories when trying to build mucsle, but if taking 50g shakes makes you feel full and your body is only using 30gs of it, I feel it's better for me to take the lower g shake, and not feel as full.

I don't know why you would take protein right after or before for that matter. After a skate you need to restore the glycogen reserves in your muscles by consuming about 30g of carbs and about 15 protein but the carbs are much more important. If you took it before the skate I can see that slowing you down for sure because your energy would be spent on the protein synthesis and digestion. I'd save them for after a workout (weights).

I don't know why you would take protein right after or before for that matter. After a skate you need to restore the glycogen reserves in your muscles by consuming about 30g of carbs and about 15 protein but the carbs are much more important. If you took it before the skate I can see that slowing you down for sure because your energy would be spent on the protein synthesis and digestion. I'd save them for after a workout (weights).

Yes, it would be better to be using gatorade or accelerade rather than just a protein shake around hockey. Your muscles aren't going through as much hypertrophy as when you lift.

Guys, please don't give out advice based on what some dude in the locker room said if you don't know what youre talking about. ON's Gold Standard protein is popular because its cheap and tastes pretty good. It's whey protein concentrate, and most whey protein concentrates are about eh same in terms of efficacy, just find one that tastes good.

No, protein shakes in and of themselves will not slow you down. If you workout and take tham afterward, they aid recovery and rebuilding and thus can help make you faster, but it all depends on teh context of taking the shake and what's in it. I drink whey in 2 situations; as part of my healthy breakfast shake and after working out, and both work well for me and I would guess in general as well.

What slows you down: sitting on your ass all day long, fast food, pre-game BJ's, not sleeping enough, drinking, etc. Protein shakes can taste good and are good for you. Shut up

Protein is what your body uses to build muscles. Most people will drink it right before a workout because it will help them build better. Don't drink them if you aren't going to work out because it will turn pretty much directly to fat.

Taking protein shakes before or after hockey or any workout is totally useless. Protein builds muscles when the body is resting. When you workout, it takes about 5 days per muscles (except abs and smaller muscles) to fully regenerate their fibres. Taking protein supplements during those 4-5 days will help grow your muscles.

The human body cannot assimilate more than 30 grams of proteins per 3 hour periods.

If you wanna be faster, have more legs during a game, proteins like a steak will definatly not help. Carbohydrates (good sugars), like pastas will help.

those "studies" are bollocks. They've done long term studies of intake of large amounts of protien, and nothing has come up. Maybe the occasional kidney or liver that was already damaged. But protein will do nothing in it's own right to hurt you.

unless you are a doctor that have studied the effects of high protein diets,

your not really qualified to say what you claim.

lets not give any medical advice unless you are a doctor...

was i giving medical advice? i dont think so, i was just letting you guys know what my doctor told me... that there could be side effects, not necessarily common, but someone on this board, who reads this could be the guy it affects. may be they got a bad kidney.. or liver.. you just don't know.

so lets not dismiss suggestions, when the advice is to check with your doctor.