Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RadioGaGa

New Vehicle

Okay...here's the situation. I currently drive a '98 Neon (2L 4cyl). It's starting to need work, and I really can't see putting anymore money into it. I really don't want another "small" car...and I've thought about a small truck.

I want to buy used (2001-2003 ideally). Probably in the next 6 months.

Is there something in the 3-4L V6 range that won't absolutely destroy me when it comes to the pumps?

Cars or small trucks...I'm open to suggestions. I want some first person feedback...I'm tired of just reading online reviews.

Also, I'm looking pros and cons of foreign versus domestic.

Maybe I'm just wishful thinking and will end up in an Aveo *sigh!!!!*

ok, are you looking at a sporty car or more of a sedan/coupe?

For trucks, are you looking to use it for any work, or just for looks and pleasure

I would suggest to give a good consideration to fuel economy. The way things have been going are only getting worse. I just did a paper on alternate fuels and read up that GM have come up with FLex Fuel Vehicles (in the US). They can take gasoline and ethanol. The problem is there aren't many stations serving ethanol yet. I read that the mid-west has the most. Definately worth a look if you plan on keeping into the future. If you live in Canada I wouldn't recommend buying a larger vehicle as that technology is ways away in Canada. I don't drive a pick up or SUV, but I have had nothing but great service from Toyota. They've got a new Rav 4 and the small pick up is the Tacoma. I do like Suzuki's Grand VItara though.

ok, are you looking at a sporty car or more of a sedan/coupe?

For trucks, are you looking to use it for any work, or just for looks and pleasure

No...doesn't need to be sporty (hell...I'm currently driving a NEON). I'm not trying to impress anyone with my "ride".

Trucks...I'm not looking for a big work truck, just kinda always wanted a truck.

I can't even tell you what I've looked at...A-Z and everything in between.

Cars: Cavalier, Protege, Saturn Ion, SX2.0, Camry, Corrola, Avero, Intrigue, Grand Am.

Trucks/SUV's: Ford Ranger, Mazda B-Series, Chevy S10/Sonoma, Hyundai Santa Fe., KIA Sportage (until I did some research and found out they are nothing but trouble).

I'm at square one...looking for opinions on whats out there. $20,000 or less.

From a purely lazy perspective, hatchbacks make it easy to carry hockey gear. I borrow the wife's cougar for hockey games whenever possible. Right now you don't get nearly as much value for your money with an SUV as you would with a car, let alone the mileage differential.

From a purely lazy perspective, hatchbacks make it easy to carry hockey gear. I borrow the wife's cougar for hockey games whenever possible. Right now you don't get nearly as much value for your money with an SUV as you would with a car, let alone the mileage differential.

Yeah I was out at some lots today (when there were no sales people to pressure me)

**Apologies to any Sales People**

Anyways...looked at the Pontiac Vibe, Mazda 3, and a couple others (names are escaping me). very nice. My buddy has a Mazda 3...loves it.

When I graduated college and got my first real job, I bought a new 99 Mazda Miata. I know it sounds a little gay but the car is awesome and I love it. Best part is my hockey bag packed *just* fits in the trunk. There is nothing like driving a convertible to the rink, top down, tunes blaring...

I have two other friends who bought Miatas and they love them too. Sure they're impractical and my wife hates mine, but you have to have some fun on the road. Besides, if you really need to haul crap, do what I did and add a hidden trailer hitch - it's how I tow my dirt bike behind my car ... you should see the smiles I get when I head to the mountain with my top down and my bike on the trailer.

my girlfriend had a miata and it was a blast to drive around in. like driving a luxury go cart or something.

I myself had a V6 ford ranger as my first car. I drove it until 120k and it still had life in it when I sold it so that may be something to look into. there are a lot of them so finding a used one should be easy.

I just got back from london and was seeing these smart car all over the place.. granted gas was about 7.50 a gallon US I wouldn't be surprised to see those make the jump to the states in the near future

I just got back from london and was seeing these smart car all over the place.. granted gas was about 7.50 a gallon US I wouldn't be surprised to see those make the jump to the states in the near future

Those things are all over the place in BC. I don't know how much luck you'd have fitting your sticks and bag inside though.

I used to have a Mazda B2500, it was a great truck with decent gas milage. I think it went around 20 mpg on the highway. I got rid of it though because it didn't have 4 wheel drive and it was really scary to drive in the winter. Since I live in MN and its almost always winter, I decided to get rid of it. I ended up buying a Ford Focus ZX5 (the hatchback) and I love it. It gets good gas milage (25-30mpg) in the city and if I go for a roadtrip it gets even better. It definately isn't a cool car but it serves its purpose and you can put a ton of stuff in it. The backseats fold down so there is a lot of space if you need to haul something. There are my two cents.

Guest Muck

I'll help you in the What Not To Do Department.

I'm a big dude, hate cars. Trucks are much easier to get into and out of. So I go and finally get the one vehicle I've always wanted... a Chevy Avalanche. It was stretching me a bit on payment, but what the hell. We only live once. SO, I get the truck. Fill it up. $75 bones, the fuel pump cuts me off. Pumps in my area have a $75 limit. Are you kidding me? $75 a week in gas?

Now I've got it on leasetrader.com to try to get rid of it. I freaking love the truck (quite possibly the best vehicle ever made; so versitile), but it's practically costing me a mortgage between the payment and gas alone. Plus I feel bad for having a gas guzzling monster and falling into the prototypical hog of an American.

Get a G35. 3.5L 6 banger. I drove one for a while and had a lot of fun in it. 270-290 HP (depending on year). Its a fun little car. You can find one for under 20k with 50k miles on it. You can really beat the crap out of the car too, and it takes it like a man.

I'll help you in the What Not To Do Department.

I'm a big dude, hate cars. Trucks are much easier to get into and out of. So I go and finally get the one vehicle I've always wanted... a Chevy Avalanche. It was stretching me a bit on payment, but what the hell. We only live once. SO, I get the truck. Fill it up. $75 bones, the fuel pump cuts me off. Pumps in my area have a $75 limit. Are you kidding me? $75 a week in gas?

Now I've got it on leasetrader.com to try to get rid of it. I freaking love the truck (quite possibly the best vehicle ever made; so versitile), but it's practically costing me a mortgage between the payment and gas alone. Plus I feel bad for having a gas guzzling monster and falling into the prototypical hog of an American.

I wouldn't buy something that big, but thanks for the advice.

At least take a look at the Allroad. Adjustable air suspension, all wheel drive, smooth on the street with good acceleration, and it's a wagon which is easy for loading up the hockey gear.

Easily one of the best everyday drivers. Too bad they don't make them anymore.

I needed something to lug all the crap I need to build a bar at home, let alone to load gear for hockey games, and just settled on an old-ass battle wagon of a truck from the 60s. Granted you'd be using yours for more, but at least it's a really cheap stop-gap.

Look at used VW Passats (anything 2001.5 or newer, IMO). Good gas mileage, solid construction (aside from one recall regarding faulty engine coils--be sure to ask about that), great safety rating, fun to drive (even the 1.8T), and a surprising amount of room.

I could probably fit two full hockey bags in the trunk; the only issue is the sticks, which are too long for the trunk unless you drop one of the back seats down (which is easy); otherwise, they fit just fine in the back seat. You can get them in a wagon version if you prefer.

As far as gas mileage, I usually get about 300 miles per tank (mostly city driving; I've gotten as much as 450 if it's mostly highway), which comes to about $30 right now (89 octane at about $2.80/gal).

We've had our Passat since 2001 and it's been a great car. I actually had a Neon before the Passat... you won't regret it. ;)

Why has nobody mentioned the top selling small car year after year ?

THE CIVIC !

I have a 2000 Civic Hatchback with 430,000 KMS on it , 1 Trany, 1 set of brakes, never exhaust, 1st Battery

This car has been the best car in the world for me, just amazing, Gas cost 30.00 Cnd to fill it and that lasts me almost 600Kms.

Do yourself a favor and testdrive one , they are well under 20K new , and the space is unreal , I am an equipment manager so trust me , I fit the following in the car

Me

My G/F

2 Sets of 20 Jerseys ,

Medical Kit

40 Water Bottles

My Hockey Bag

And 1 CHRISTMAS TREE !

And to top it off , the resale is tops !

Yeah, I was driving 2 hours each way for work , yep I am an Idiot ! , Now only 15 min away :-)

And this will help him if he ever needs to sell it, it will still be worth something unlike most domestic small cars

My sister just bought a Toyota Matrix - lots of space, especially with the seats folded down. Front passenger seat folds down also to accommodate 8' long 2x4 studs. Decent handling and power.

My wife drives a 2002 SVT Focus. Great handling for a factory hatchback, good brakes, decent power (around 170 hp) and good economy if driven reasonably sensible.

Both of those are 'taller' hatchbacks - may be a style to look at a bit more. I'd pick a peppy 4 cyl. over a 6 cyl. right now.