Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

notorious#29

Another Sean Avery Topic

Hah!

When I really, really dislike a guy, I usually start in on the wife. I usually just say that his wife is either fat or ugly.

Oh come on...real original <_<

Let's face it, we all watch hockey for entertainment, and this guy is entertainment. But he's taking it a little overboard. He's gotta watch his mouth cuz he seems like he's spewing stuff just to be heard. He's talking all kinds of stuff about these guys around the league and one day he's gonna have to pay for it. I'm pretty sure I've seen him duck and turtle on more than one occassion so I don't know who he thinks he's kidding about being a tough guy.

Rachel Hunter and Elisha Cuthbert??? Just proves, chicks like a$$holes.

Hah!
When I really, really dislike a guy, I usually start in on the wife. I usually just say that his wife is either fat or ugly.

Oh come on...real original <_<

At least he didn't say, "Hallerhan(sp), your wife eats pu**y.

Speaking of how much chicks like jerks... he said "I’ve got a great personality as well." I think I just barfed a little in my mouth.

And for a guy who like to rip on the bluecollar nature of the NHL, Shane Doan being "too cleancut" and "a yes-man", he has NOTHING to say about political views or anything, he's a total meathead. At least McCarty (who I don't like for the very reason that he isn't cleancut and bluecollar whatever) at least had the sense to stand for something. He is a rebel with some kind of cause (he might be wrong but that's not the point). Nothing is more stupid than a meathead saying "I'm non-conformist and I believe in free speech" but he has no clue what either term means.

I did like two things he said:

Are hockey players the toughest pro athletes?

Yeah, no question. A football player would never get his face busted like this [points to right eye, which is black and blue from taking a puck in the face] and finish a game. A baseball player would never even think of it. That dude would already be at the hotel eatin’

Thats pretty funny right there, and true.

The other was showing up to practice hungover... I know we've all done that at some point. Thats what being and athlete is about haha :)

I was pretty neutral on some of the stuff he said in the interview, but at the bottom when he talks about paul kariya that's just dumb. Was he just looking for something bad to say about him? Probally just jealous that Kariya got college education.

Also, did avery get kicked out of finland after getting 26 PIM in two games? What an idiot. He had to do something pretty dumb for getting that much box time.

Are hockey players the toughest pro athletes?

Yeah, no question. A football player would never get his face busted like this [points to right eye, which is black and blue from taking a puck in the face] and finish a game. A baseball player would never even think of it. That dude would already be at the hotel eatin’

I'd like to see Avery say that in front of a few football players.  I bet there's quite a few guys in say the NFL who would have something to say about that.  I know we all like hockey and it's a tough sport and all, but something tells me very few hockey players have been blindsided by a 300 lb. defensive end who squats in the 800 lbs.  Even Matt Leinart could take a few minutes away from hanging out with his boyfriend Nick Lachey to kick Avery's ass.

I was pretty neutral on some of the stuff he said in the interview, but at the bottom when he talks about paul kariya that's just dumb. Was he just looking for something bad to say about him? Probally just jealous that Kariya got college education.

Not that it has too much to do with the post. but everyone should keep in mind Kariya left school after 2 years and never did go back. During those two years let's just say there was very little schooling and mostly hockey. If society is going to accost football and basketball players who grew up poor for leaving school early or skipping college to go make a few bucks, why exempt the well spoken, mild mannered choirboy hockey player from wealthy British Columbia? Nothing against Kariya or any other athlete leaving school early, but why the double standard?

That kinda made me mad about the whole showing up at practise hung over. I'm sure that doesn't help any athlete's overall game, being better, winning the cup. And I'm sure there are top guys in the NHL (I'm thinking maybe Pronger, Forsberg, Sakic etc) who don't consider showing up at practise drunk a part of their job. I wouldn't be surprised if a lotta the better guys don't drink a lot period.

That kinda made me mad about the whole showing up at practise hung over. I'm sure that doesn't help any athlete's overall game, being better, winning the cup. And I'm sure there are top guys in the NHL (I'm thinking maybe Pronger, Forsberg, Sakic etc) who don't consider showing up at practise drunk a part of their job. I wouldn't be surprised if a lotta the better guys don't drink a lot period.

Yea but being a drunk does help you to be a babbling arrogant prick, with an inflated sense of self worth. Maybe alcohol actually helps him play his role.

Sorry to let you down, but most of these guys are regular dudes with extraordinary jobs. They drink, some of them a lot. Morning praccy is done in a hung state, very often. Some are past that part of their lives, but the ones with no family to go home to at night, well they tend to live it up. Forecheck, backcheck, paycheck.

That would seem to prove my point. Most bluecollars only drink once a week. And yeah I don't think it's normal for any job to show up hung over.

I'm sure Pronger did it...he was a major alcoholic...

Alcohol: the drug of choice in the NHL. Just run into these guys one night in a bar and you will be convinced. Also, do NOT try to go round for round with them. They will leave you in the dust.

Remember, they're pros!

I'm sure Pronger did it...he was a major alcoholic...

That's why we traded him away from Hartford!

Oh yeah, now I remember: Verbeek and the boys took him out to a bar, they all got hammered, and Pronger got caught because he was under-age! Was that when Pierre Maguire was coach?

I think 80% of pro, college or jr. hockey players are at least borderline alcoholics... Showing up for practice still feeling the night before is standard for a good number of guys..

I even know players who play or played major Jr. or minor professional hockey that take 2 or three shots of booze before the game to relax them... I could see how it would work...

The NHL is no different than an other pro sports league with substance issues... Hell 1/2 the stanley cup winners in the 80's and early 90's including some fairly big name players snorted lines of coke like it was going out of style during the prime of their careers, and were apparently playing pretty good...