Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sonsplayhockey

Anti Fog coating on shields

I have an Itech shield. Its the $30 version and has the anti-scratch coating but no anti-fog coating. I've used spray and someone suggested shampoo. I"m using baby shampoo right now.The baby shampoo seems to work best. Wipe it on and leave a thin film of it. Spray lasts about 20 minutes before I fog it up. I sweat like a pig. Should I try something different or just buy a new shield with anti-fog coating on it? I don't mind springing $50 if I don't have to mess with all this crap.

Shampoo works great for me. First time I tried it I played for 2 hours straight, no fogging even after that. I applied it kind of thick (enough that you couldnt see clearly) and then took a damp towel and wiped the excess off, worked perfect. Maybe try normal shampoo if baby shampoo isnt giving the desired results.

I used to take a little dishwashing soap and set it out until it dried to a paste-then a little smear on the visor and buff it until the visor is clear-works better than any spray or commercial treatment I ever tried-If you get a little sealed container like they use for orthodontic wax you can brew up a batch that will last a couple seasons.

The anti fog coatings never seemed to work that well and they seemed to scratch easily.

There's a faily new product called Fog Zero. It's a paste. Not only does it defog but also cleans and takes out light scratches. IMO, way better than the liquids.

Pert-Plus works well too.

If you want t o keep your brain cells try Kleer Vu. had a goaile who wears glasses tell me about this stuff. It WORKS!! no more fog.

how would rain x work?

whne i wore a visior i used liquid car wax designed for clear coat paint. i would wipe some on with a cloth until i had a film and then wipe it off with another cloth. never had any fogging problems. you can also use paste car wax for scratched cds/dvds. it fills in minor scratches, i also filled in minor scratches on my visior. would do this about 1x every two weeks.

i've been using zero fog for mine and it works like a dream for roller hockey but fogs up like crazy during ice hockey. i can't even get pass 3 shifts without it fogging up. if i keep on putting on while i'm on the bench after every 2 shifts i'm fine but i hate doing that. i've given up and have ordered a cage online.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up using shampoo with conditioner in it. Got if from a hotel one time. Smeared it on both inside and out. Let it dry for a bit then buffed it out with a paper towel. It left a noticable film that you could feel with your fingers. I did all this the night before and shoved it into the helmet bag. I was careful not to rub it during the game. Worked great through 2 games on Sunday.

Fog zero hasn't had that good an effect on my visors (Oakley and now Itech), best results by far have been with a regular Window Cleaner spray.

Works Amazingly well, our whole team uses it after one guy showed up at training with a bottle.

I recently bought a helmet and a visor and it seems so that there is also some kind of coating on the visor.. I aspirate (well i blew against it) and there was no fog at all!

Its a straight visor and i dont think that it will fog on the ice.. Or will it fog because its older on ice with hot steam/sweat coming from my head?!

I never had a problem with fog on my sheilds, but had a huge issue with sweat. I sweat like an ox. I wish they made something that would stop that. I have tried everything including headbands and beanies.

:( You have to watch the Rain-X thing-a buddy of mine used it on his motorcycle windshield and it crazed the plastic like crazy-he had to replace it to the tune of 400 bucks

Fog zero hasn't had that good an effect on my visors (Oakley and now Itech), best results by far have been with a regular Window Cleaner spray.

Works Amazingly well, our whole team uses it after one guy showed up at training with a bottle.

Be careful using solvents like window cleaner on your shield. When I played paintball I was told never to use window spray on my lens because the solvents would break it down and make it weaker after awhile.

It seems to work rather well for most of the minor league teams in this area. Of course, they are not in the business of *selling* the stuff, but more in the business of using the stuff. But hey--do what works best for you.

:( You have to watch the Rain-X thing-a buddy of mine used it on his motorcycle windshield and it crazed the plastic like crazy-he had to replace it to the tune of 400 bucks

what do you mean crazed?

i have the itech hs22 straight,, i don't use anything and its fine, i just wash the smudges from sweat off before each game w/ plain water,, it only seems to fog when i take the helmet off, but if i leave it on its fine.. one thing is i keep a towel at the bench and always wipe the sweat off my face between shifts, that might keep the condensation from forming. i used to have the old cheapo itech rbe1 or something, that used to fog like crazy and I would use shampoo but i felt like the shampoo would smear after a period or so..

I tried the shampoo trick tonight and it worked really well. I used to wear the visor high because of fogging, but i was able to go all game with it correctly placed in front of my face.