Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A2rhino

Most protective helmet

I know a guy who is making a helmet.

I tried it on a couple of months ago and for a helmet that was not my size, still was comfortable.

It's off to CSA/HECC testing now.

got any pictures to show us?

I tried it on a couple of months ago and for a helmet that was not my size, still was comfortable.

I thought that process can take years....

Any opinions on the Jofa 690 helmet. Was it as protective as the rest of their stuff?

That's what I've been using for a little over a year now. Very good airflow and very comfortable for me.

My first choice would be the Hefter Evolution helmet but word has it CCM/RBK has bought the patent so we'll need to wait for the Hockey Companies version which will probably be out within the next year or two. My choice for present helmets on the market are as follows;

Mission Carbster

Bauer 5000, 8000, 8500

Mission Intake

Jofa 690

CCM 1052

RBK 8K

These are all very good helmets however the top two brands are known for concussion preventative properties. ;)

My first choice would be the Hefter Evolution helmet but word has it CCM/RBK has bought the patent so we'll need to wait for the Hockey Companies version which will probably be out within the next year or two. My choice for present helmets on the market are as follows;

Mission Carbster

Bauer 5000, 8000, 8500

Mission Intake

Jofa 690

CCM 1052

RBK 8K

These are all very good helmets however the top two brands are known for concussion preventative properties. ;)

Your first choice would be a helmet that is nothing but hype and self-promotion that has never been tested? You're brave

got any pictures to show us?

No, it doesn't take years to certify a helmet.

It is a composite shell with a memory foam that can accommodate any head shape.

Duch - haven't you read this thread? Not only was the helmet not even made, Hefter was sued by NBH over their claims and lost.

Thats why it isn't in the list. Several NHLers including Alex McCauley and Anson Cartier have donned the Mission Carbster due to concussion problems. And many NHLers use the Bauer 5000 and 8000 models as well because it's a proven solid helmet. Until the Hefter has been CSA, HECC and CE certified I wouldn't recommend it. If the protection factor for it is correct then it would easily pass these tests but until it's certified I wouldn't put it on the list.

I guess we can take the Hefter off the list of possibilties. Interesting article. It looked like it was going to revolutionize the industry with its original claims.

I also know a guy who is making a helmet and the foam sounds similar to what JR is talking about. A few kids I play with are using the foam in regular helmets because they have had so many concussions and want to prevent more and its supposedly in the same step in getting certified. Is the foam kinda thick and black and kinda like those memory foam matresses?

Bauer 5000 / NBH 5500, with a mouthguard. Will work just fine.

and skate with your head up!

yeah thats a big thing. you see alot of players using a regular 4000/4500 but dont get concussed because they play heads up hockey

CCM XKA 400 helmet is very protective but it is kinda bulky.

Maybe someone with better knowledge could inform you about this helmet.

what on earth are you talking about? Never heard of it and can't for the life of me find one on a google search.

CCM XKA 400 helmet is very protective but it is kinda bulky.

Maybe someone with better knowledge could inform you about this helmet.

what on earth are you talking about? Never heard of it and can't for the life of me find one on a google search.

idk thats the model number on the sticker inside the helmet. Here's a pic(white helmet):

helmets.jpg

Idk maybe that's ccm's code, I was hoping to get some inside when I mentioned it(it was made in '01). I know that i've taken a few shots to the head and only once have I really had any ill effects(got swept by the goalie and went backwards and hit the back of my head really hard).

Think the 'X' is just the combo version. Or it would just be the normal 400 model. Actually if you wanted to better protection, if you can still find the HT500 or HT200 with the EPP, and interior harness to keep the helmet straight on your head, that'd be nice...but those are old models. Think Paul Kariya uses the HT200, that's why it has the little CCM badge on a bar on the back of his helmet, cause that's part of the harness I believe.

I personally use the Jofa 690, taken 3 head first spills into the boards so far this summer session, I've felt fine.

I would be highly suspect of replacing the foam in your helmet. The reason that harder foams are used is because they perform better in hard impacts. Softer foams compress quite quickly under load and "bottom out". Thus they transfer all of that impact energy directly to your head. They may feel more comfy when wearing, but under impact you will be doing yourself a great bit of harm. This is why manufacturer's use the EPP type foams in the outer portion, with a thin squishy foam or gel for comfort. The basics of a properly designed helmet is that it uses the hard outer shell to spread the impact load. It then takes the load and uses it to compress the hard EPP foam, and absorb it in deformation without transmitting it to your head. One type of energy absorbing foam is Zorbium. It is a newer advance and will probably be making its way into sports gear. It sounds like the Hefter company was trying to use it, but they kind of petered out on the launching pad without ever developing a good product. Also adding or replacing foam in your helmet will probably void any certification that it may have.

I would say that the most important way to avoid concussions on the ice is to

1) Get a Good Helmet. Many are willing to spend up to $200 on a set of flashy gloves, but go for the cheaper model helmet that looks cool. Isn't your brain worth the extra few bucks? I personally like the Bauer 8000 model for reasons below.

2) Get a helmet that fits. For a helmet to do its job properly it must fit snugly and not be loose. Properly adjust it to fit your head snugly when you do get a proper helmet. The extra bit of motion in a loose helmet could make the difference between a slight headache and not remembering your own mother. The Bauer 8000 offers the most highly adaptable fitment mechanisms available. This helmet offers 3 separate mechanisms to get it adapted to your head.

3) Wear a good mouthguard and make sure that you actually wear it at all times. So many times I see kids skating on the ice with the guard stuck in their cage. This is just plain stupid. The guard protects your teeth as a secondary function. The main reason for it is to prevent the secondary impact of your lower jaw slamming into your upper jaw and bruising your brain. The best mouthguards in the business are custom fit and not the low end boil and bite versions. These are available from your dentist, or at http://www.customguards.com/

4) Keep your head up and on a swivel. It is better to avoid the impact in the first place.

I would be highly suspect of replacing the foam in your helmet. The reason that harder foams are used is because they perform better in hard impacts. Softer foams compress quite quickly under load and "bottom out". Thus they transfer all of that impact energy directly to your head. They may feel more comfy when wearing, but under impact you will be doing yourself a great bit of harm. This is why manufacturer's use the EPP type foams in the outer portion, with a thin squishy foam or gel for comfort.

I don't buy that and I've never seen any documents that prove that the harder foams do anything to prevent concussions.

I would be highly suspect of replacing the foam in your helmet.  The reason that harder foams are used is because they perform better in hard impacts.  Softer foams compress quite quickly under load and "bottom out".  Thus they transfer all of that impact energy directly to your head.  They may feel more comfy when wearing, but under impact you will be doing yourself a great bit of harm.  This is why manufacturer's use the EPP type foams in the outer portion, with a thin squishy foam or gel for comfort.

I don't buy that and I've never seen any documents that prove that the harder foams do anything to prevent concussions.

concussions no, skull fractures yes

Many hits are in fact low impact. Most of the ones that give you concussions are higher speed impacts. One good example is your head hitting the boards or the ice. Softer foams are good for the slower impacts, but harder foams absorb the faster impacts. Hockey helmets have to be designed to take both. Also, they have to be able to respond to multiple impacts. You wouldn't want to have to throw away your helmet after every impact, or you would have to have a bench full of helmets with little room for the players. EPP foams rebound after the impact and are multi-impact capable. EPS foams (eg. styrofoam) are the best at abosrbing high speed impacts, but they are only good for one use. This is why they are used for bicycle helmets, and they should be thrown away if they ever encounter an impact, including dropping them to the ground. The Zorbium foam shows great promise in that it is a rate sensitive foam. If the impact is quick, it stiffens up. Yet under low speed impacts it remains pliable. My point is that what you assume as being intuitive in this case is not, and by changing out the foam on your own you are asking for trouble. If you need further information, go to this website: http://www.helmets.org/multi.htm I also bet that if you talk to the manufacturer's they will recommend that you don't change the foams just to make it feel more comfortable, and to think that you are at the same time decreasing your chances of a concussion.

We all know that helmets go thru the certification process and there is a level of protection they must meet. Does anyone know of a "rating" system that ranks the helmet models in order of protection? It's very easy for a manufacturer to say there helmet is the most protective.