Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

Boston Massacre II

TBL as long as you can afford the Press Box down the road all is ok..which local college (HCC/UT/USF) are you a poor student at..

I must say Ponty..times have changed though I was in the Bleachers on opening day a few years back when beer was still allowed and saw a guy with a Sox hat just spend the day lazily in right field...some boos, etc sure..but nothing like it used to be...when society has gone that pc...I worry about it..

the best pro athlete in that Tampa Palms area was Sampras, he used to just chill out and eat at the Waffle House each morning..

I go to USF! Classes start next week :(

I've actually never been to the Press Box because it's not really close to me, but I'll check it out.

My old doctor used to gold with Sampras. He used to tell me that he wasn't really good, but he could hit the ball a mile.

Jim, do you live down here or used to?

I finished my schooling at UT (USF didn't have an undergrad mar-science program) and lived in a few areas (Town N Country/east of 56th & Busch, etc)..no worries on the Press Box..not worth that drive..we used to skate the USF campus quite a bit..especially that round business building...

This weekend was fantastic... I was saying "we'll sweep the series" as a joke on thursday, and to be honest I couldn't believe it happened. Especially on monday when it was basically our C team playing. I made sure all my friends from school (MA) got it good.

One thing I've noticed from going to school in boston...the red sox fans love hating the yankee fans almost as much as they love the sox. Yankee fans however are somewhat indifferent to red sox fans and just love winning period. Having been to games at both teams home field, the opposing teams fans are treated much better at yankee stadium.

I love how you guys bring up that the Yankees haven't won since 2000 and that the Red Sox won in 2004.

Why have Sox fans brought this up?

(Well, one, it allows us to continually make mention of the biggest choke in sports' history. :D )

More seriously, however, is the Yankees have spent between $160-$200 million in just salaries alone during that span. No other team has been remotely close, including Sox teams who have been somewhat indulgent compared to the rest of the league at $120-$130 million. Consequently, it's been humerous to see the angst of Yankee fans who can't understand why their birthright hasn't been fulfilled the past five years.

I love how you guys bring up that the Yankees haven't won since 2000 and that the Red Sox won in 2004.

Why have Sox fans brought this up?

(Well, one, it allows us to continually make mention of the biggest choke in sports' history. :D )

More seriously, however, is the Yankees have spent between $160-$200 million in just salaries alone during that span. No other team has been remotely close, including Sox teams who have been somewhat indulgent compared to the rest of the league at $120-$130 million. Consequently, it's been humerous to see the angst of Yankee fans who can't understand why their birthright hasn't been fulfilled the past five years.

speaking of money do the yankees even make any money? there spending a crap load on salaries, plus there building a new stadium, plus they pay other employees, plus other stuff. How do they make any money if they do?

Ironically enough, the team that sells out pretty much 81 games a year is the Red Sox. Thats why I couldn't believed Theos comments over the weekend on "we aren't the Yankees, we don't have their money". Partly true. The Yanks have an obscene amount of money because the Boss turned the team into a giant brand. The Sox could easily do this, along with the Cubs. The #1 difference however is Steinbrenner only cares about winning. He wouldn't give a damn if he didn't make a single penny off the team if they win the WS. And when they win, they generate more money, which Steinbrenner puts right back into the team. Other owners would take their profits and enjoy it, George reinvests it.

speaking of money do the yankees even make any money?  there spending a crap load on salaries, plus there building a new stadium, plus they pay other employees, plus other stuff.  How do they make any money if they do?

An article I read last offseason suggested the Yankees were finally starting to feel the pinch of the luxury tax, since the tax rate increased according to the number of times a team had exceeded the threshold. I believe the Yankees are currently taxed at 40%, but what I'm not sure is if they are taxed at their entire payroll or only the amount that exceeds the threshold ($130 mil I think).

The article said the Yankees were going to try to cut back to about $180 million, but signing Bobby Abreu seems to run counter to that. Some figures in the Boston Globe said Abreu would have effectively cost Sox $27 million through next season, but I think the Sox are only at a 30% tax rate. Regardless what he did this weekend to the Red Sox, Abreu doesn't seem to be worth $20 million per season, but that's what he costs the Yankees or Sox due to the luxury tax.

Ironically enough, the team that sells out pretty much 81 games a year is the Red Sox.  Thats why I couldn't believed Theos comments over the weekend on "we aren't the Yankees, we don't have their money".  Partly true.  The Yanks have an obscene amount of money because the Boss turned the team into a giant brand.  The Sox could easily do this, along with the Cubs.  The #1 difference however is Steinbrenner only cares about winning.  He wouldn't give a damn if he didn't make a single penny off the team if they win the WS.  And when they win, they generate more money, which Steinbrenner puts right back into the team.  Other owners would take their profits and enjoy it, George reinvests it.

Revenues:

Even though Yankee stadium is about 30% larger than Fenway, the Sox have the highest ticket prices and have sold out for three years now, so the revenues from the gates could be close. However, the main source of the Yankees' money is their local television contract. It dwarfs the contracts of all other teams. And that has nothing to do with branding, since both teams' fans cause similar spikes in attendence at other stadiums. It's pure demographics. NYC is such a huge -- and passionate -- television market. (As compared to LA, which is huge but not passionate about baseball.)

Costs:

The new owners paid $700 million just four years ago, whereas Steinbrenner bought the Yankees around 1972, so the costs to run the non-salary portion of the teams is much higher for the Sox.

Comclusion:

We don't know if Steinbrenner is more willing to spend more money than other owners -- we just know that he is more able.

one of the reasons the Yanks will turn a "profit"( you don't lose $ when you have your own network it just is in different parts of the ledger) is that since they are funding their own stadium, they will no longer have to pay revenue sharing, the $20mil that goes to MIN etc will now go to bond debt...so not only does King George get more revenue streams he takes the $ that some of the other teams just pocket and uses it for himself..that in and of itself is why there's a new stadium going up ...

Ticket prices have gone up quite a bit in the past $10 years..my seats (section 289, have gone from $23 to 37 (with disc) since 96..but then again..the payrolls have gone through the roof for many)

The high payroll is something relatively new, If you discount the extremely high payroll the WS count is still near the 20s.

Most of the revenue comes from apparel, ticket sales, sales inside the stadium, and from the tv network(YES). I'd rather an owner put the money into the team than pocket more money... with that being said, it has gotten out of control over recent years.

and JR, it was just a joke ;)

I'd rather have the troubles that come with an owner like Steinbrenner that puts something back in the team rather than the crap ownership of the Braves. Sure their payroll's not low by any means but they could have easily grabbed some big names if they packaged some of their youth together. I miss that country bumpkin Turner running the show, even if he screwed up the name of the stadium.

Most franchises don't make money anyway as owners aren't into them for the profits.

SOOOOOOO many franchises turn profit. The Marlins got 25mil or so in revenue sharing, their payroll number for the year was about 15, they made 10mil before they sold a single ticket.

Things like this happen all over. They all want to kill Steinbrenner at owners meetings, but they still take his money and put ZERO of it back into their teams.

Well they also have a payroll that my dept. at my work probably beats. I'd like to see a breakdown of what they claim to make and what they (teams) actually earn because it can't be as less as they say they earn from teams. I just know that no one who actually owns a team worries about it because their other ventures are what they bank on. Hell, when Tom Hicks signed A-Rod he justified the deal by saying he'd just sold a little winery for $450mil that morning.

Im pretty sure he does and the whole world knows YES is owned by the Yankees so there no real way around it. I was reading today somewhere on espn or si that the Yankees will be losing money this year for sure but that the Boss doesnt really care as long as they win it all. As good as their bats look right now I really think pitching will come and bite them in the ass come playoff time. I dont think Wang or Lidle are going to be able to bring it when the time comes and they better hope Mussina is at the absolute top of his game.