Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bonespsk

red bull crashed ice

Got this link from a friend. Apparently, Red Bull's been running this Crashed Ice competition for years, and they're coming to Boston this Nov.

The whole concept looks really cool. It's like boarder cross but on ice. The tryout was basically a timed obstacle course, with multiple heats. Top x individual times from each heat advance (each person goes off on solo runs and times are compared within heats). At the end of the day, the top several guys in each division qualify for a run-off on some course in October. Top 64 guys from there will actually compete in Nov.

It was pretty cool jumping, diving and going around barrels in full hockey gear during the tryouts, so if you're in the area, they're having tryouts this month throughout New England (and other parts of the U.S., I think; Alaska and Wisconsin were two other locations I overheard today).

that's sick and theres tryouts like 20 minutes away from me at umass amherst where i go all the time in the winter, do you know how old you have to be?

yeah this really is insane and a great idea too]

all i know is that there is a mens, womens, and collegite divisions so i guess if youre in college or already graduated you can tryout

love to try it one day

i'm 15 so i doubt i can tryout if theres a college division and a men's division, but i'll probably go to boston to watch if i don't have hockey that day or if i have a game in boston.

ya theres try outs near me i saw something like that on tv once i forget what it was called i wonder how theyre going to do tryouts on a normal ice surface and how they will pick the people

i'm 15 so i doubt i can tryout if theres a college division and a men's division, but i'll probably go to boston to watch if i don't have hockey that day or if i have a game in boston.

What? Id defidently go see that stuff if possible. That would be one of the two reasons I would skip hockey! B)

Anyone know if there will be like a highlight so we can see the stuff afterwards?

I don't remember if there was an age requirement. There were some waivers we had to sign, and it might have said "18", but I'm not sure. You can probably email Red Bull (there are a number of email addresses floating around on that site). Plus, if you select one of the tryout locations on the online form, I noticed that local organizer's phone number comes up.

If you're above the age requirement (whatever it is) and not in college, then you have to compete in the men's division. There was a high school kid today who did that and he actually had the fastest time.

HDNet ran a show on it a while back. The same guy has won like 2 or 3 times in a row now. I wanna say he's from Norway but could be wrong. Looks like a blast.

I think I will pass. I did a run like this @ Park City last year. I have been skiing for 12 years and can handle ANYTHING on the slope with relitive ease.. This cross kicked my butt. I don't even want to think about trying it on skates... its a lot harder than it looks and I value my bones being on once piece.

I think I will pass. I did a run like this @ Park City last year. I have been skiing for 12 years and can handle ANYTHING on the slope with relitive ease.. This cross kicked my butt. I don't even want to think about trying it on skates... its a lot harder than it looks and I value my bones being on once piece.

Shorter things make tighter turns. I could go through glades in hard trails with ease with my snow blades on, but most skiiers would probally die.

Now if that makes it easier... I don't know.