Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hockeytim18

Metal vs. Rap

Well so far it seems everyones chosen their side. I want to know why though. For metal go with some old school and put it with today so a little of everything. Rap compare it to stuff today.

I'm a fan of newer rock/alternative/"emo"/"screamo"/etc

I like everything though. Not a big fan of rap usually but listen to it occasionally depending on what I'm doing/where I am. I also can't listen to some metal though.

Thing that pisses me off though is when people don't think you should be listening to a certain type of music because of the way you act/dress, etc. For example, I don't dress emo or anything like it, but I still listen to the music.

I had (and still have) doubts about this thread but I am very pleased to see no one said "hey man, they can be both" and mention some crap band that tries to be a hybrid of the two types.

what about rage against the machine?

How can you bring those into comparison though? The 'hardest' song I've ever heard Everlast perform was back in his House of Pain days.

the hardest song everlast was in is when Eminem says talk shit abotu him and says he's gonna kill him

My preference is rap music but the odd song from another genre will occasionally pop up on my ipod, there aren't that many "new" hiphop songs on my ipod either mainly the older stuff.

Metal, definately.

Power Metal ftw: DragonForce seems to be one of the most popular, Conquest, Heavenly, Power Quest, Southern Cross, White Skull, Winterlong, et al.

Metallica's "metal" is limited to: Kill 'Em All, Ride the Lightening, Master of Puppets.

Iron Maiden also is more limited for the more pure "metal" as the more modern albums have become more "progressive" (the newest one is incredibly progressive).

Symphony X is awsome Prog. metal

Oh, and the "combo" band - Limp Bizkit? Linkin Park? Yeah, they both suck. Hard.

I won't mention the band name but I think you were talking about a band fronted by a jackass wearing a red baseball cap.

just say the name

Limp Bizkit...

Metal= Metallica, Megadeath, Ironmaiden no screaming

Death Metal, Heavey Metal, Metal Core=COB, Trivium, As I lay dying, Lamb Of God, KillSwitch Engadge etc. Screaming

Death Metal - cannibal corpse, entombed, at the gates, death, etc. i dont listen to any of this stuff, but if you're going to list you might as well do it properly.

The different subcultures of music really ruin the whole experience, for me. the idea that you have to be a part of some type of group/scene is completely ridiculous. having to back one genre and justify it is also just as ridiculous, to me. i love rap, i like different dialects of metal (skrams, power violence). people need to wake up and realize that petty bs like genres, and scenes, is unneccessary. then again i'm really not involved in music that much, i just like to listen to it..

listenin to music all the time. no rap. i do admit that some of the beats are cool, but i love to play and listen to guitar. Definitely metal for me. im listening to Children of Bodom as we speak. Strapping Young Lad is some great death metal. DragonForce is amazing "nintendo metal" as they call themselves. Dream Theatre is awesome too. Just so many bands, i could go on for a while

Death Metal, Heavey Metal, Metal Core=COB, Trivium, As I lay dying, Lamb Of God, KillSwitch Engadge etc. Screaming

Metal=Metallica, Megadeth, Avenged Sevenfold(new)

Hardcore= Undying, It dies today, As I Lay Dying

Metalcore=Unearth, Atreyu, Lamb Of Gof

Heavy Metal=Slayer,

Death metal=Incantation, Cannibal Corpse

Blackmetal/norwegian death metal= gorogoth goat horn

The differences are more easily picked up by a metal listeners ear. The percussion in the death metal and black metal come from the drums heavily.

Whilst the other 4 take bits and pieces from other genres and thats where the sub genres have evolved from.

Actually, I'd say Hardcore= Most Precious Blood, First Blood, Throwdown, Earth Crisis.

Those three lean more towards metalcore if anything.

I don't know why this has to be a "vs.", as though people who listen to Rap/Hip-Hop can't be metal fans, too. While most hip-hop today you hear on the radio and such are about bitches and bling and drugs, there's still a lot of great, positive hip-hop out there like:

Jurassic 5, DJ Shadow, The Roots, Blackalicious, Gift of Gab, Dilated Peoples, DJ Krush, Mixmaster Mike, Beastie Boys, Q-Bert, Common, Lateef Tha Truth Speaker, KRS-One, Ozomatli, Lyrics Born, Pigeon John, Floetry, and Latyrx. They may not be crunk or rollin' dirrty but they get you with sick beats AND tight rhymes :D

--nick--

jurassic 5 is awsome!! i originally heard about it from another thread here, now i have lots of their songs on my myspace.

the best thing about oldschool rap is it doesnt have as much cussing and stuff like todays rap...

remember:

whodini?

grand master flash?

run dmc?

those are just a few older groups/singers from back in the 90's.

i consider them old school

Heavy Metal=Slayer,

The differences are more easily picked up by a metal listeners ear. The percussion in the death metal and black metal come from the drums heavily.

Whilst the other 4 take bits and pieces from other genres and thats where the sub genres have evolved from.

Thank you for not pretending to know what the genres of metal are are listing totaly wrong bands, like too many people do.

Iam a metal head, Bring on the metal. I just like how fast and heavy and all that stuff it is. Iam a big fan of screaming. I like high end vocals a lot more than low end.

For those of you who dont know, "Screamo" is not "anything where someone yells" "Screamo" is "emo" but they "scream". So next time you hear killseitch engage or some other song where the singer screams, dont call it screamo. So many people make that mistake, and it pisses me off cause i hate screamo.

With that being said. I dont diss anyone who listens to other music. Take screamo/emo for example. I have friends who listen to that stuff, doesnt bother me. its when people ARE emo or screamo, thats too much.

Metal all the way amongst other musical genres.... but no rap whatsoever. I have a profound disdain about Rap music, the bling and clothing that goes with it, the gestures and the way "rappers" talk and gesticulate it's all so... hmm phoney and ugly but that's just me. I'm sure many rappers think the same about metallers although one would not know I'm a metal head by looking at me. It's two completly different genres and I just happen to dislike pretty much anything that has to do with rap music, which doesn't mean I don't befriend rappers though..

Heavy Metal=Slayer,

actually Avenged Sevenfold is part Screamo. The are more metalcore than metal.

all music is emotional... i don't get how "emo" is a genre.

Emo=Emotional, as in my girlfriend left me and now iam sad because the love of my life has left me for my backstabbing best friend. How can i ever live without her?

all music is emotional... i don't get how "emo" is a genre.

Emo=Emotional, as in my girlfriend left me and now iam sad because the love of my life has left me for my backstabbing best friend. How can i ever live without her?

more like:

my girlfriend dumped me

now im gonna cut myself