Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kosydar

Elbow Pad Rash

Anyone else get a rash from your elbow pads? I've been getting one from my elbow pads for around three months now. The doc prescribed something but that hasn't really worked. It isn't like a red rash, its white. It makes my arm look awesome. I'm thinking it could be from some bacteria in the pads? I've tried wearing two layers between my skin and elbow pad, but that hasn't helped. Whats the best way to clean pads? I don't have a pool to throw them into. Would a bathtub work, and if so, what should I put in it? Thanks guys.

Please don't suggest getting new elbow pads either, I'm very picky about them and I absolutely love these :P

It sounds as if something is growing in your elbow pads. :D I'd suggest getting a strong disinfectant such as febreeze and trying that out. Its also possible that your strapping them too tight, causing the abrasion.

Febreze is more of a cover-up, I wouldn't rely on it as a "heavy disinfectant". Try a half-and-half mix of wintergreen rubbing alcohol and hydrogen peroxide. Mix them in a spray bottle, generously spray it on your equipment, and let it dry (preferrably outside in the sun).

If your elbow pads dont have the plastic elbow cap on them throw them in the washing machine. I did this and it helped my elbow pads out.

Here in B.C. (Vancouver) there is a line of clothing that you wear underneath your gear called 'PuckSkin". It is similar to DRi-FIt, Under Armour, etc. It was designed to prevent the rashes that you get from hockey equipment and help to prevent eczema. I have been using it since Dec. 2003 and the rashes/hives that I used to get are gone.

pine sol works for me

i think your skin is reacting to some of the gross bacteria in there

kill the bacteria....

If you are not in Vancouver (which I assume is true), try Larry's Sports http://www.myhockeystore.com

They don't have it listed on their website but I was out in N.Van last week and saw them. But if you call or e-mail them they will know what you are talking about. Good luck and the stuff works.

I used to get a rash from the Bauer shirts I was wearing, then I started dropping oxy-clean in teh laundry and it worked on the old shirts. Now I'm wearing z-max shirts and I've never had a problem with them. Good cheap shirts from a local guy.

If you are not in Vancouver (which I assume is true), try Larry's Sports http://www.myhockeystore.com

They don't have it listed on their website but I was out in N.Van last week and saw them. But if you call or e-mail them they will know what you are talking about. Good luck and the stuff works.

Sweet, thanks for the info.

I've gotten rashes from my elbow pads from time to time as well. It seems to happen over a certain period of time so I asume it's from whatever is growing in the pads. I just hand wash the pads really well and once they are dry, put them in the freezer overnight to kill anything left over. Works like a charm.

Kosy - I have Puckskin shirts if interested.

As far as your bacteria I suggest washing the equipment, then drying it, then putting them in a freezer bag and freezing it. That should kill it.

Spray Nine has a germicidal agent in it that kill all kinds of nasty stuff. It's available all over the place - hardware stores, automotive, etc.

You might be one of the 'sensitive skin' types that react to things that others would normally not notice.

you couldn't also try diluted bleach, i used a 10-1 water-bleach mix on my gloves and it actually killed the smell, and the bacteria, because the smell didn't come back for a month and a half

get the equipment deodorized - the process kills all the bacteria. Make sure you properly air out your stuff as well...the reason gloves and skates smell worse than anything else over time is because there is limited airflow to the insides which allows bacteria to grow more easily. Tinactin is a good way to keep the bacteria / stench at bay as well.

Find a swimming pool and put ur stuff in it for like 30 minutes. The chlorine disinfects and get out most of the smell. Then spray ur stuff with febreeze/lysol/freshener of ur choice and let it dry. Works for me

No swimming pool....would a hot tub work? I think I'll try every single suggestion, no way in hell anything is ever going to grow on these damn pads again.