Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LkptTiger

Nothing Like Dorm Life...

At least you aren't in California. The house I have up here in Oregon is in shitty shape, but its 7 bedrooms and its one of the best locations on campus. The seven of us pay $3000 a month in rent, which I think is ridiculous. My buddy came home for Christmas from California and was amazed at how nice our house was and how cheap it is. For him and his 9 roommates, it costs them $7000 a month for their 5 bedroom house, meaning they all share rooms.

From what I've gathered, landlords don't give a shit about students because they can get away with it. Obviously students don't treat their house well or do anything to keep it in good shape, which is understandable. My biggest issue is how many major things are wrong with our house that after five months still haven't been fixed, namely the infectious mold in an upstairs bedroom that is a result of a wall that leaks.

Lee- I would also advise against living with six other guys, but it seems like you have it planned right. Are you good friends with all six of the guys? I lived in the dorms last year with 5 of the 6 guys in my house, but four of us kind of form a faction, and the other three form another. I guess that would be normal though, I don't think you can expect seven guys who live together to hang out all the time.

3000 for 7 people is pretty good. i'm out in halifax, and for our 6 bedroom flat, its 3300, with everything included but electricity. since one room is huge, and a buddy of ours is only here for fall term and then heading home for his work term in the winter, he's camping in the large room to knock rent down more.

rent's rediculous for what you get. a friend was actually thinking of buying a house, then renting it to us at a price that covers just the mortgage, so it'd be far cheaper

:D lol

...Hasn't gotten drunk once since September.

Maybe it's 'cause the last time he got drunk he ended up with "The Fattest girlfriend in Manitoba" :D

No he's been with her for about a year and a half. I got him to bang her so I could bang her bestfriend, (my current gf). We both laughed around about how he rode a hog and how disgusting she was, but somewhere along the line her flabby arms and triple chins grew on him. Quite sad actually, the porker runs his life.

Felt kinda queezy after my game here...reading that put my over the edge, *barf

I'm actually looking at places to live for school next year. For a 5 bedroom house (2 stories + basement) it's going to be between $900 and $1300/month total. The highest I'll be paying per month is $275. I'm glad I don't go to school near most of you guys.

On a side note how much does it cost for the dorms at your Universities? Here it is about $2900 / year which is actually more expensive then a house if you could some how get a 9 month lease on the house.

Mine was $11000, but it was a suite. Had our own bathroom which included a shower and someone cleaning it once a week for us. It was also 2-3 times the size of a standard dorm room. I don't know how we got that room, considering we signed up for a standard (which are $8-9000).

I'm actually looking at places to live for school next year. For a 5 bedroom house (2 stories + basement) it's going to be between $900 and $1300/month total. The highest I'll be paying per month is $275. I'm glad I don't go to school near most of you guys.

On a side note how much does it cost for the dorms at your Universities? Here it is about $2900 / year which is actually more expensive then a house if you could some how get a 9 month lease on the house.

our dorms cost about 2k a month (averaged out)

Manhattan real estate takes the cake. I have a duplex (2 floors) in the city on the Upper East Side and it costs us about 2400 a month. You may be thinking, wow, thats a great price for two people, especially on the upper east side (the most affluent part of the city). The deal is pretty good, I mean we have a spiral stair case and a very large ourdoor space, enough room for a 10x10 gazebo, full grill, fire pit, etc. Its very nice but... we have under 1000 sq feet... which is tiny. The living space is impossibly small, but its a nice first apartment. This is one of the better deals in the city. There are people paying a million bucks for a studio apartment...

2400 for an Upper East Side townhouse and you're complaining? :rolleyes: The 2-bedroom 800 sqft apartment I was in this summer was rented out for $3000, I paid 750/mo to sleep on the couch, and work rough 14 hour days as a derrickhand, working 18 days on 5 days off. Then again, if you're my age and have had a G35 Coupe and a Maserati I wouldn't expect you to have a great idea of what things are worth or cost.

I said the deal is good for the city... but I am just talking in comparision to the rest of the houses (or apts) that have been mentioned.

and dont make it like I didnt work for anything I had/have...

with the meal plan, res living is costing about 7k a year. about 2500 per term for res, and then another 1000 for food

Thats what I hate about our University. I actually work in the Student Union, along with various other dining halls on campus. The food is terrible and you have to purchase a meal plan. Not to mention all incoming freshman most live in dorms, unless you live within 20 miles with your parents. Its a joke, $5,000-$10,000 a year into their pockets and they still bend you over in the end.

He had her going to the gym for the first week or school. She quit that and has put on maybe 20-30 lbs since the start of the year. I always ask him why he wants to be like Ronnie Coleman and he says the girls love it, which obviously isn't true. He's got a dirty porker and I've got the hot skinny girl.

Most of the girls I work with prefer smaller guys. Not skinny but toned, with some muscle. Whenever we cater the football team they always get grossed out by the no necks. You can certianly go overboard weight lifting..

The way we saved money in school was to have more people living in the house than were allowed. The city determined how many people the house was suitable for. Our house was licensed for 4 but we had 6, we just made it look like there were only 4 guys there when they inspected (we knew when the inspection was). It worked out pretty well, we turned a large walk in closet into a bedroom and turned the front porch which was kind of a seasonal room into another bedroom (it got cold in the winter but that is what space heaters are for).