Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mack

A message from our sponsor...

I just reached a whole new level of annoyance one morning last weekend I woke up and saw about 25 threads in a row replied to by one person... and majority of it was dug up before I was even a member??

But don't a number of people jump on others for NOT doing that?

I think the thing that bothers me about forums is how quickly people get indoctrinated into the unofficial rules, to the extent that two months after being badgered for not searching themselves, they're yelling at a newbie for starting a new thread instead of searching and bringing up an older one. In other words, people quickly learn that we're supposed to yell at the newbie for not searching, instead of politely letting them know what the preferred etiquette is.

Personally, I don't care about people creating redundant threads, although I understand it's adds to the bandwidth of the site. But every month, 200-300 new members join, so what may be an already discussed topic to the older members, is actually a newer topic to the recent members. If an older member wants to ignore the topic, it's pretty easy to skip over.

One thing thats starting to get annoying is the "im going to ________ , do they have any hockey shops near by. Theres always the yellow pages of a phone book, or internet business search. And its even more annoying when its about somewhere like montreal. Like one of the biggest cities in canada wouldnt have a hockey shop.

One thing thats starting to get annoying is the "im going to ________ , do they have any hockey shops near by. Theres always the yellow pages of a phone book, or internet business search. And its even more annoying when its about somewhere like montreal. Like one of the biggest cities in canada wouldnt have a hockey shop.

im going to canada, any hockey shops nearby?

I just reached a whole new level of annoyance one morning last weekend I woke up and saw about 25 threads in a row replied to by one person... and majority of it was dug up before I was even a member??

But don't a number of people jump on others for NOT doing that?

I think the thing that bothers me about forums is how quickly people get indoctrinated into the unofficial rules, to the extent that two months after being badgered for not searching themselves, they're yelling at a newbie for starting a new thread instead of searching and bringing up an older one. In other words, people quickly learn that we're supposed to yell at the newbie for not searching, instead of politely letting them know what the preferred etiquette is.

Personally, I don't care about people creating redundant threads, although I understand it's adds to the bandwidth of the site. But every month, 200-300 new members join, so what may be an already discussed topic to the older members, is actually a newer topic to the recent members. If an older member wants to ignore the topic, it's pretty easy to skip over.

I recall that day, because I was also annoyed that not only had the member bumped 25 posts, he had done so without adding anything useful to any of those threads. Most of the posts were something to the effect of "wow, i totally agree" or "I never knew that" He was quite obviously looking to obtain selling priveleges, which were taken away pretty much as soon as he posted a heavily sought after item in the sell forum.

I don't mind if someone bumps an old topic with a relevant question or comment, but it's something different, and a real PITA to open that 18 month old topic to read "You're right those WERE great laces."

this is in the wrong section :lol:

sooo... when's that XXXX stick coming out? Whats the NBH pattern that will work for me? I've used the Coffey and the Forsberg. I switched from the Forsberg because it was too big of a curve and the lie was like 27 or something and was too low for me. Can I borrow a dollar?

(i know another t-blade question)

wHere can i buy t-bladez, i heard they were great. would you buy t-blades over ls2p? if then why????? any good onlinestores who know what size i am?

this is in the wrong section :lol:

sooo... when's that XXXX stick coming out? Whats the NBH pattern that will work for me? I've used the Coffey and the Forsberg. I switched from the Forsberg because it was too big of a curve and the lie was like 27 or something and was too low for me. Can I borrow a dollar?

right... I politely referred to the NBH catalog for questions about "Vapor XXXX sticks & gloves" and getting a reply like "well, they're going to come out after the skates... just like the XX's and XXX's"... well why did you ask?! haha

I recall that day, because I was also annoyed that not only had the member bumped 25 posts, he had done so without adding anything useful to any of those threads. Most of the posts were something to the effect of "wow, i totally agree" or "I never knew that" He was quite obviously looking to obtain selling priveleges, which were taken away pretty much as soon as he posted a heavily sought after item in the sell forum.

I don't mind if someone bumps an old topic with a relevant question or comment, but it's something different, and a real PITA to open that 18 month old topic to read "You're right those WERE great laces."

See, you're thinking the same way I was...I mean, there were days where I'd be bored at work, and post a lot... but I would like to hope I was being a little more productive in my posts than "I hope he likes them" or "LOL", or "(insert random stick) isn't very good".....this is basically become a community, help one another out best you can. .

I understand that an old discussion is new to some memebers but look around before you post. Look at my post total to how long I have been a member its low for a reason. I read and search more than I post to avoid clogging up bandwith and starting or contributing to useless rehashed discussions.

I mean come one how many posts on making or understanding what blades fit into a tapered shaft can there be? If you were to look through any forum and not to many pages back you could quickly surmise all you need to know about the subject. IMHO this is a product of laziness and a instant response culture we now live in

Wholly Mackeral! I looked at this thread last night and it only had six replies. There is alot of emotion out there on this topic. One thing that we can do is just not buy from people who pad their post count just to get sell privileges. It might be tough when that person has something that you have been looking for, but we could almost start policing ourselves. MAYBE that could take some heat off the mods. I look at it kind of like parenting. If you do a good job, eventually you have to do less and less parenting/micromanaging. The mods have been working overtime lately, maybe it is time for us "kids" to take things into our own hands.

I AM NOT SUGGESTING WE MODERATE THE BOARD OR BECOME VIGILANTE'S OR ASSUME ASSOCIATE MOD STATUS. I do not want that responsibility and I would do a disservice to everyone else. Just that we do not buy from people who pad their post count. If the only reason folks post is to sell gear, it would seem that we can quickly take care of the issue.

BTW NEone no where u cn git sum grt sk8s 4 chep like Chara? Chara mst wer big sk8's, cuz hes realy tall!!

I just bought my 16th SL grip and it broke at the same spot as all the other ones i had, i like it but should i buy a 17th stick, they say the shoot good, and btw im 5 foot 1 and a half, i like big curves but i use the forsberg, and i weight 100 lbs soak and wet with rocks in my pocket, what flkex should i get 110 seems to suit me.

This board is unique among other internet boards in that it is one of a kind in it's industry. The info i've found on this board is invaluable and you really can't get it anywhere else on the web.

That being said, the traffic here has to be huge. As a result you get all sorts of posts, especially in the equipment section. Equipment is probably the hottest area in hockey right now too. No longer do we only have two or three equipment choices, there are so many it can be confusing. The search function does narrow it down but you still have to wade through the search results to really get your answers. People get frustrated and hope to find an answer with a question on the main board.

I really get tired of all the questions on Synergy vs. XXX, etc., but generally they get low responses and go away. I really wish someone could sift through them and delete them but that would be alot to ask of the Mods. Good natured ribbing lends clues to people who are new on the board. Eventually they get it and will hopefully provide legitimate guidance in the future. Be patient, there's a lot to learn here and no one gets it all immediately.

Being new, let me apologize if I in fact have been "the guy that farted on the bench" or asked douche like questions.

The craptastic questions I may have asked, which I think I stopped doing was caused by missing the "display as posts" thingy in the search tool. I'm of the opinion that it should be the default option as it makes info easier to find instead of wading through whole threads to get one post that might be close to what you want.

So far, I've enjoyed my stay here. Gives me something to do at work. :D

I am of the camp that believes "one should not address a problem without having a solution to present". One of the biggest lessons working with the military. So, I have a suggestion for a solution.

I personally ONLY spend time in the ice hockey equipment BB on this site. The sheer volume of knowledge here on hockey equipment is staggering. Most people in my area talk to me about equipment, and this place is the sole source for the information on new equipment. With that said, I am in the govt IT space, so looking for information is a crucial part of my job. Search engines and searching techniques come as second nature. I have made a career out of answering questions I formerly knew NOTHING about because I had the knack of finding answers - searching that is. Most people do not find this to be second nature. Some very intelligent programmers I know do not have a clue when it comes to finding information.

So, I believe a possible solution is to have a single tutorial on new post rules at the top of every BB subsection. A boiler plate so to speak. The Site News and Policies section is most likely not read by most viewers. What could be instituted is a new user requirement to read a policy that is part of the account generation process. For the subsections, a simple rule at the top stating the new post policy could be displayed, with a short tutorial on where the search function can be located, a very general how-to search can be detailed, and the consequences for new post rule violations will be addressed.

Lately, I must agree that some posts have not added value to the site. I certainly would not like to see this site watered down by information that is not new or relevant to the topic. This is by far the google of ice hockey equipment, and would really like to see it stay that way.

Instead of agreeing with all of the other people on this post, I wanted to share a possible way to fix it...hopefully to also spur others to recommend solutions as well. this is a great site....let's keep it that way.

What we outta do is pin a thread to the top of the forums with the top ten questions that have already been answered a dozen times; i.e. When does ______ come out? Or How do you tape you blade? We post the olds threads which answer those questions for newbies reference, and then anyone who asks it again gets an instant ban. Maybe label the thread "Read this before posting"?

What we outta do is pin a thread to the top of the forums with the top ten questions that have already been answered a dozen times; i.e. When does ______ come out? Or How do you tape you blade? We post the olds threads which answer those questions for newbies reference, and then anyone who asks it again gets an instant ban. Maybe label the thread "Read this before posting"?

I like the idea of most frequent posts - if someone posts a noob question in that group...instant ban

....but people do make honest mistakes...for those not on the most frequent posts I would suggest a temporary instant ban of X days, followed by a more severe ban, maybe 6 months....followed by permanent ban. 3 strikes rule possibly.